"Adult" cinemas in Glasgow

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: "Adult" cinemas in Glasgow

Postby Mori » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:55 pm

Language of Love i went to see @ the Classic Grand in the 70s, whilst skipping school one afternoon, i must have looked older than what i was at the time is why they let me in only to discover that it was a quiet afternoon and they would let any one in as there were only 3 others in the whole cinema. ::):

Was not a large cinema, fairly small compared to some the others in the city at that time, opend my eyes to sexual explicitness. 8O

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Blackpanther » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:19 pm

Does anybody know where there is a adult cinemas in Edinburgh or Glasglow I miss going to the one in Birmingham. If anybody knows where one is please email me at [Admin edit: address removed]
Blackpanther
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby The Egg Man » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:11 pm

It seems more likely that Blackpanther isn't the owner of that email address and is simply making mischief.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Blackpanther » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:38 pm

The Egg Man wrote:It seems more likely that Blackpanther isn't the owner of that email address and is simply making mischief.

Making sweeping statements like that most unhelpful. How can you posable know what my email address is and you don't know me.
Blackpanther
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby The Egg Man » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:24 pm

Blackpanther wrote:
The Egg Man wrote:It seems more likely that Blackpanther isn't the owner of that email address and is simply making mischief.

Making sweeping statements like that most unhelpful. How can you posable know what my email address is and you don't know me.

The Good Samaritan didn't know anything about the guy he helped. He just knew he needed help.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby the researcher » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:41 pm

andysmz wrote:Thanks

Overall, Scotland doesn't seem to have had very many. All I have in addition to the Glasgow ones already mentioned is :

Dundee - Tivoli Continental - Closed 1977
Dundee - Victoria - closed 1989 - not an adult cinema as such but apparently their Sunday programme was at sometime in the 80s

Edinburgh - Classic (La Scala before 1974), Nicolson St closed around 1985ish and was Edinburgh's Classic Grand equivalent
Edinburgh - Jacey Film Theatre, Princes St closed 1973
Edinburgh - Astoria, Corstorphine closed 1974
plus another unofficial one in Leith Walk which closed sometime in the early 1990s

and that's it unless anyone else knows otherwise

I'm particularly interested to know of cinemas like the Dundee Victoria which may have had special programmes but were otherwise "normal" cinemas.

the victoria cinema was owned by j b milne originally and the chain was sold to kingsway entertainments in 1970 (jbm died in 1968) and it was after they took over that adult sex films were shown in the cinemas the la scala in cupar also showed these films on a sunday one that i vaguely recall was the film eskimo nell with a card saying showing sunday
i would think most if not all the cinemas would show an adult film on a sunday or possibly on rotation possibly once a fortnight perhaps as a main stream film which was popular ie a bond film would be shown on the sunday as well due to it being popular
hope this info is of help to you
THE FLYING SCOT MADE BY RATTRAYS IN GLASGOW THE BEST BICYCLE EVER MADE
the researcher
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Bridie » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:45 pm

the researcher wrote:
andysmz wrote:Thanks

.............a bond film would be shown on the sunday as well due to it being popular
hope this info is of help to you

as in James or S&M ?

:wink:
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby oddjobby » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:48 am

Well this has been most intriguing! ::): ::):
www.soulsearchers.org.uk
oddjobby
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby robertpool » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:26 pm

The Classic Grand was originally Cranston's Picture House and Tea Rooms at 13 to 17 Renfield Street, Glasgow

robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doug » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:50 pm

Back in the late 70's I was manager of James Grants furniture store in Jamaica street. Next door to the store was an adult cinema which I recall being called the Grand. It was incredibly seedy and we used to get a laugh watching guys shuffling about outside until they found the courage to dash into the cinema, naturally of course neither me or any of my staff would have dreamt of entering such an establishment !! hmmm
Ahm entitled to my opinion as well
Doug
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Previous

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)