Quiet Gyms

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Quiet Gyms

Postby AzimScot » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:35 pm

Hi guys,

I hope I don't get slated like I did in my previous posting.

I am a Glasgow club member and have an option of many gyms around Glasgow. Does anyone go to a gym that is quiet on after 5pm weekdays and weekend mornings? Bellahouston and Gorbals gyms are packed. I went to Scotston gym once and you couldn't hear a pin drop at times, although I soon realised why the resistance machines were ancient and scabby as hell.

Looking for suggestions guys.

Thx.
AzimScot
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: Quiet Gyms

Postby peter » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:09 am

Greens, Finnieston.
"I've seen them come and I've seen them go. And I've seen them Die"
peter
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hazy » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:19 am

Caley Uni gym . Hasle free. and inexspensive
Thank you. And why not.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sharon » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:20 am

The problem with greens is that they are twice the price of Glasgow club!!!

Still.... the equipment is good and the envirnoment pleasant, and even at peak times there is enough equipment to always get access to something and you dont have to queue for entry...

The class booking thing however...and the silly shallow swimming pools...good but not twice the price good.

In conclusion.... buy a bike and dumbells.
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Riotgrrl » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:45 pm

If you can afford the extra tenner or so a month (above the 'Glasgow Club' rates), the gym at the Raddison is not too busy, plus it has a swimming pool, plus you get free Kickboxing/yoga/spin/whatever classes. It's called the LA something . .. but it's basically just the usual suite of machines, weights area, mats, pool, etc.

All your classes are included in the monthly fee.

The gym at the Gorbals is pretty poor. Few machines, and most of them are controlled by scarey men with tatoos.
International general interest photoboard: http://photofit.proboards.com/index.cgi?
Riotgrrl
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Mark N » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:31 pm

Riotgrrl wrote:the gym at the Raddison is not too busy, plus it has a swimming pool, plus you get free Kickboxing/yoga/spin/whatever classes. It's called the LA something . ..

It's the LA Fitness and is my gym; I'm afraid it does get *very* busy 5-7pm weeknights though.

I don't care cos there's loads of fit blokes to ogle. :twisted:
Flickr-ing me: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dogdriller/
Mark N
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Riotgrrl » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:48 pm

Mark N wrote:
Riotgrrl wrote:the gym at the Raddison is not too busy, plus it has a swimming pool, plus you get free Kickboxing/yoga/spin/whatever classes. It's called the LA something . ..

It's the LA Fitness and is my gym; I'm afraid it does get *very* busy 5-7pm weeknights though.

I don't care cos there's loads of fit blokes to ogle. :twisted:

That's my gym too . . and the fit blokes clearly are only there between 5pm and 7pm because I never see them, and I never see the gym busy.

I go for a swim at lunch, a gym session on a Sunday afternoon (empty) and yoga on a Wednesday when I'm being good.

So I'm not really there at the 5 - 7 time.
International general interest photoboard: http://photofit.proboards.com/index.cgi?
Riotgrrl
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby AzimScot » Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:33 pm

hazy wrote:Caley Uni gym . Hasle free. and inexspensive

I have been to the Cali Uni gym before years ago and its always quiet and plenty of machines and the bar bell as smith machine.

Can non-students join? what's the standard monthly cost?
AzimScot
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby dave2 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:08 pm

See http://www.gcal.ac.uk/arc/prices.html
The non discounted prices are for 'normals' as it says a the bottom of the page.
dave2
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tedmaul » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:07 pm

I usually go to Whitehill but that's probably not really a gym in most folks eyes. Four or five people would constitute a mob in there - it's basically a converted room behind the swimming pool. Five or six cardio machines, some free weights and the rest made up of weights machines. Not the best but it is quiet usually and if you're not too fussed about getting your hands dirty or needing the latest 'state of the art' equipment then it does the job.

I didn't realise Caley was cheap now for discounted members, mind you. Roughly what I pay for Glasgow Club.
Jim Hacker: "Are you saying that winking at corruption is government policy?"
Sir Humphrey: "No, no, Minister. It could never be government policy. That is unthinkable. Only government practice."
tedmaul
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Jazza » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:35 am

Change your routine? go to the gym in the morning or later at night?
Eighty percent of success is showing up.
Jazza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby YokerBloke » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:40 pm

I'm in the Virgin Active one in Finnieston. Around 5-7pm weeknights it's usually packed. Was never this busy before, thinking somewhere a gym had shut down or a load of people suddenly decided to get fit.

Not the cheapest gym, my monthly rate is £40. But they do student rate (I think) but this limits the times you can go and use the gym tho'
http://www.tracertong.co.uk
YokerBloke
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Speedbird » Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:30 pm

Join a rowing club!! In Glasgow, there is The Glasgow rowing club in the Gorbals, and, then, next to Glasgow Green, there is Clyde and Clydesdale rowing clubs.

Here is a starter:

http://www.glasgowrowingclub.org/

Admittedly, they may mostly have ergos, but there are other things too, and hey, you will be getting fit anyway!!
At Glasgow, someone tends to put on Classic FM, which makes a change from the usual fare of gyms up and down the land, and you can switch it off or look for something else instead.

Also, a bonus of this is that you can get out and row on the river, race other people, and generally, just have a great time!!

Finally, if you want a swimming pool, then, just capsize and go for a good bracing swim in the Clyde!! it's lovely, honestly, and the mud has a fantastic moisturising effect on your skin that isn't very well known to most Glasweigians!! ::):

I need to get back to it and it's always a good feeling to see those muscles starting to appear and look toned, and I'm saving up to get myself an Ergo, so I can train to my hearts content in the garage.
I can always rely on this forum to make myself feel about 10 times worse than I did before
Speedbird
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)