Least attractive Glasgow Train Stations.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Least attractive Glasgow Train Stations.

Postby Charlie Endell » Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:40 pm

I must be the only person that likes platform 11a - I work on the Broomielaw so I just use the vehicle exit so I'm not doubling back on myself - the 9.16 Cathcart always seems to arrive at 11a. I'll be sorry to see it go.
Charlie Endell
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby tobester » Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:40 pm

sds wrote:Argyle Street station was a completely new station for the reopening of that line, I thought. Glasgow Cross and Glasgow Green stations used to be on that line, but Argyle Street was built on top of neither.

When you leave argyle street heading to bridgeton, you feel the train swing out and back in, as you head through the old glasgow cross station...i just wish theyd shut argyle st and reopen glasgow cross, but thatll never happen.

In a totally train spotting way...thursday was the 29th anniversary of the opening of Partick station.
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby sds » Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:05 pm

tobester wrote:
sds wrote:Argyle Street station was a completely new station for the reopening of that line, I thought. Glasgow Cross and Glasgow Green stations used to be on that line, but Argyle Street was built on top of neither.

When you leave argyle street heading to bridgeton, you feel the train swing out and back in, as you head through the old glasgow cross station...

Yup, you can see a bunch of supporting pillars between the tracks.

Also, there's an open space between Glasgow Cross and Bridgeton where I assume the Glasgow Green station once stood. Makes sense, given that you can hear the trains go past when you're sitting in West Beer.
sds
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Speedbird » Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:42 pm

Charlie Endell wrote:I must be the only person that likes platform 11a - I work on the Broomielaw so I just use the vehicle exit so I'm not doubling back on myself - the 9.16 Cathcart always seems to arrive at 11a. I'll be sorry to see it go.

I like it as it's right up at the end where you can take pictures of the trains without being harrassed by security!! (i.e. most likely a frustrated reject from the police Academy).

I do have to agree with Dalmarnock, although, I HAVE actually taken pictures of the trains there before.

One was dropped off there once and I took piccies whilst I waited for the train.

With the rain coming down the ramp, the only best bit about it was the reflections from the train.
I can always rely on this forum to make myself feel about 10 times worse than I did before
Speedbird
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby andysmz » Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:47 pm

sds wrote:
tobester wrote:

When you leave argyle street heading to bridgeton, you feel the train swing out and back in, as you head through the old glasgow cross station...

Yup, you can see a bunch of supporting pillars between the tracks.

Also, there's an open space between Glasgow Cross and Bridgeton where I assume the Glasgow Green station once stood. Makes sense, given that you can hear the trains go past when you're sitting in West Beer.

On this very site .. Glasgow Green station
http://www.hiddenglasgow.com/rail/glasgowgreen.htm

and Glasgow Cross in amongst this lot

http://www.hiddenglasgow.com/rail/stations.htm

but I much prefer this one from the Burrell Photo Collection giving prominence to one of the west of Scotland's favourite beverages

http://www.theglasgowstory.com/image.php?inum=TGSE01035
andysmz
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby aland » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:01 pm

thing is that there used to be another short platform on the other side of 11a and there was the pilot bay on the other side of 13

yes did spend a few hours on 11a photting and gricing, last days of the 101's and 303's and some of the railtours
aland
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Speedbird » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:05 pm

Oh yes, I used to remember '87s and the like being stabled in 11a and the other one.

And then there was the old thing of trying to identify the locos stabled out at Eglington Street.
I can always rely on this forum to make myself feel about 10 times worse than I did before
Speedbird
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby aland » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:08 pm

used to do a move to somewhere on the cathcart to get a better nosey at the ones in holding, used to be 4 or 5 sparkys and a spoon if you were lucky
aland
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Innes » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:14 pm

I think 11a used to be for Royal Mail loading.
Innes
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby davidlynch69 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:28 pm

I once made the mistake of getting off at Dalmarnock, coming from Rutherglen, instead of waiting for Bridgeton. It was a mistake made once and never again. Desolate and unwelcoming, you feel threatened the moment you walk up to the station entrance.
davidlynch69
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby tobester » Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:47 pm

Charlie Endell wrote:I must be the only person that likes platform 11a - I work on the Broomielaw so I just use the vehicle exit so I'm not doubling back on myself - the 9.16 Cathcart always seems to arrive at 11a. I'll be sorry to see it go.

Well CE platform 11a is no more http://jonathanmcgurk.fotopic.net/p55600798.html
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mrsam » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:12 am

Hmm to summerise ya bunch of moaning bums, you hate the stations that are dark 'n' dingy in cuttings and under bridges, and would rather have light airy stations like my local victorian edifice stirling.

This theory has several problems,

1) the stations are built in cutting or under bridges which is unchangable, resulting in darker less inticing places

2) the local populus have lost a sense of interst / community spirit vis a vis communal spaces such as train stations so no one is intersted in cleaning up or not destroying the local place.

Cunclusion = the stations are always gonna look 'crap' as they are in a unfortunate situation, and the local people are always gonna 'trash the place' as they have no vested interst in it.

The solution to the problem is to try to educate local people as to the benifits of good, clean public transport, also getting local involvement on any projects, and possibly limiting access to station platforms by use of barriers(tho this would have a cost).

By the way, for the 'save the old buildings' crowd, most of these hated stations have vast tracts of origional brickwork exposed and on a personal note I like the Brigeton big sign as it is different and is a sympathetic effort to jazz up a station, without resorting to the ubiquitous modern glass shed with shiny plug sockets.

Can we please have suggestions / ideas as to how we can improve the 'worst' stations....

Mr Sam
Hmmm I wonder what happens if i press that lever.... Ahh It operates that shiny new plug socket!

www..photobucket.com/albums/ll103/thecuriocollector

www..photobucket.com/albums/v195/tarbat2003
mrsam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Mon May 11, 2009 12:06 pm

Evening Times

£600k boost for station

AN extra £600,000 is to be ploughed into a scheme to brighten up the area around Rutherglen railway station.
Regeneration agency Clyde Gateway had already earmarked £1.4million but is now to invest £2m on the project for new street lighting, granite paving, road surfacing and tree planting.
The work will improve the appearance of the station and nearby Castle Street, Green Road and Victoria Street.

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Charlie Endell » Mon May 11, 2009 8:07 pm

Mori wrote:Evening Times

£600k boost for station

AN extra £600,000 is to be ploughed into a scheme to brighten up the area around Rutherglen railway station.
Regeneration agency Clyde Gateway had already earmarked £1.4million but is now to invest £2m on the project for new street lighting, granite paving, road surfacing and tree planting.
The work will improve the appearance of the station and nearby Castle Street, Green Road and Victoria Street.

Bloody hell! £2m doesn't go far these days.
Charlie Endell
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby gap74 » Mon May 11, 2009 11:51 pm

Rutherglen is a miserable station indeed, almost solely due to the battered orange perspex that greets you as you walk along the footbridge - but it'll be a damn sight more miserable in two years time when the M74 flies right over the top of the platforms! Enjoy the lightness and relative lack of noise there whilst you can!
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)