Least attractive Glasgow Train Stations.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Least attractive Glasgow Train Stations.

Postby tobester » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:07 pm

Mori wrote:yayyy bout time too :D

GLASGOW has agreed an £8million overhaul of Dalmarnock Station as part of moves to create a world-class transport system ahead of the 2014 Commonwealth Games.

Lets hope theres at least something there for it to serve.

The dilapidated train station, described as the "gateway to the Games", will be entirely rebuilt with lift access to platforms, a new station building and covered passenger area under plans being progressed by the council together with transport and development agencies.

Under the DDA ALL stations that can be converted for disabled access must be, also supposed to look like a mini parick...christ a sea of blue and white, thatll go down well with the sellik fans ::):

Despite regular train services connecting it to Glasgow, Hamilton and Motherwell, few passengers use the station, which has been described as unsafe and unpleasant, except to attend games at Celtic Park.

Most who go to the games are unsafe and unpleasant......*ducks for cover*
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:32 pm

would be nice if scotrail staff remembered the DDA too.

Does this cover the trains too?

Cathcart circle dont have audible announcements for those who cannot see properly. For those who are deaf (or the rest of us who cannot hear the pish they call an announcement) are there plans about proper signage inside the trains regarding stations? Or do we have to wait till they decide to upgrade the trains in x years?
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tobester » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:36 pm

My Kitten wrote:would be nice if scotrail staff remembered the DDA too.

Does this cover the trains too?

Cathcart circle dont have audible announcements for those who cannot see properly. For those who are deaf (or the rest of us who cannot hear the pish they call an announcement) are there plans about proper signage inside the trains regarding stations? Or do we have to wait till they decide to upgrade the trains in x years?

Originally the 314s were exempt from the PID system as they were/are getting phased out, but from what i hear they are being kept a bit longer. so theyll have to get it fitted at some point. Main problem is that there is different sysytems on the different classes, the one that seems to work the best is on the 320s, which were going onto the circle/newton/neilstons.

Station announcements on train are done by the driver albeit seein as its south clyde i cant comment on why the dont do it, or when they do it sounds like theyre talking through a cup, on the north clyde/argyll electric, i suppose were lucky as its already on the trains, altho some are not working properly, they state the wrong destinations (320 301 from A end), although they did fix the problem on the 334s coming out of sprongburn.
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:21 pm

ta, aye sounds like they are talking thru their erse never mind a cup!

wish there was some kind of joined up thinking in this world!
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tobester » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:00 pm

My Kitten wrote:ta, aye sounds like they are talking thru their erse never mind a cup!

They may well be doing that too MK

One thing when the 320s come to the south clyde (if they do), that may be funny is the passengers have to operate the doors by pressing a button ::): will some be able to manage that? Some struggle on my side of the network and its been like that since the 314s went.
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby SilverFox » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:14 am

I know it's not in Glasgow buts it is in the SPT network. I find Prestwick Airport station a disgrace. I'm a Ticket Examiner at Central and I had to get off at Prestwick the other morning to catch a train coming up from Ayr. and I couldn't decide what would be best for me stand out in the freezing cold choking on the smell of aviation fuel or standing inside and dealing with the smell of urine and being freezing cold . They have a cheek to have a big sign at the airport that says "Pure Dead Brilliant" and then make people go and stand in what only can be described as a dump. There you go thats me had my rant !!!!
SilverFox
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby ClanClass » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:31 pm

When I first saw the thread title, out loud, I said "Dalmarnok". Horribly ugly station, just an embarassment which should be banned from the world.

I understand there were plans passed recently to give the station an upgrade of sorys that would clean it up. I hope this happens because the station as it is now is a discrace.
ClanClass
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby ClanClass » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:34 pm

tobester wrote:
My Kitten wrote:ta, aye sounds like they are talking thru their erse never mind a cup!

They may well be doing that too MK

One thing when the 320s come to the south clyde (if they do), that may be funny is the passengers have to operate the doors by pressing a button ::): will some be able to manage that? Some struggle on my side of the network and its been like that since the 314s went.

On the Cathcart Circle then? On that route, the 318s and (especially) the 334s have been showing up quite often recently for some reason. Being passenger door-operated (with the push of a button), there seems to be no worries, but I do remember one time a 334 stopped at Cathcart and an elderly guy just stood there waiting for the door to open. After about a minute, he walked up to and entered another door that had been opened by another boarding passenger.

Back on the topic of announcements though, what the hell is it with most of ScotRail's guards on the DMUs pointlessly rushing through the announcements? It sounds so unprofessional and is quite irritating.

Also, recently on a 314 at Central, in the crappy 314 announcement style, the driver said "Hello?" over the system. :)
ClanClass
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:44 pm

ClanClass wrote:When I first saw the thread title, out loud, I said "Dalmarnok". Horribly ugly station, just an embarassment which should be banned from the world.

"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:50 pm

We all misspell, Dex, and the man has a point.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:06 am

Josef wrote:We all misspell, Dex, and the man has a point.

"Better late than never" is that the cliche you were stretching for?
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:13 am

No.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:26 am

Dexter St. Clair wrote:
ClanClass wrote:When I first saw the thread title, out loud, I said "Dalmarnok". Horribly ugly station, just an embarassment which should be banned from the world.

You've been Dextered!

Welcome to HG... properly. :)

Cheer up, Dex, you've finally got somewhere to send all those spare "C"s :D
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tombro » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:18 am

He's actually got somewhere to send himself !

Tombro ::):
Today is the first day of the rest of your life !
tombro
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby ClanClass » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:49 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:

...Your point?
ClanClass
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)