space shuttle visits glesga

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Pgcc93 » Mon Jun 07, 2004 8:00 pm

Superb! Fossy :D But just look what happened when they put that rocket fuel in!!............. messy. I think they'll be sticking with the regular brand from now on :!:
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby duncan » Mon Jun 07, 2004 8:47 pm

Pgcc93 wrote:Image

looks kind of messy. and what's that big cuttlefish-shaped object sticking out the tail?

no wonder they blew up two of them
duncan
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Pgcc93 » Mon Jun 07, 2004 8:51 pm

duncan wrote:
looks kind of messy. and what's that big cuttlefish-shaped object sticking out the tail?

The big plane uses it to sharpen it's beak according to my late grandmother :P
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby purplegrum » Mon Jun 07, 2004 8:53 pm

duncan wrote:looks kind of messy. and what's that big cuttlefish-shaped object sticking out the tail?

no wonder they blew up two of them

It's to make it more aerodynamic to reduce drag apparently...
purplegrum
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DMcNay » Tue Jun 08, 2004 9:09 am

It looks manky because it's been up in space and gone through re-entry. It always looks like that after a flight. Takes them weeks to get it clean.
Too few hours in the day.
DMcNay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cumbo » Tue Jun 22, 2004 7:14 pm

Thanks guys, I had totaly forgoten about this I was't far away from you at the time PGCC :wink: I remember telling my family and idle threats of having my pocket money stoped for telling lies.
Just print this off and redeam it for 10 bob..... Thanks
cumbo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Paper Hankie » Wed Sep 08, 2004 8:59 pm

I have some photos of it somewhere that I took from the roof of my work (above the Kensitas Gift Centre in Renfrew Street).
Paper Hankie
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby youngsod » Thu Oct 07, 2004 2:40 pm

Strangely I can't remember this at all. However a friend of mine from Airdrie Observatory rememers it well;

Yes I remember this ! it was 1983 , The shuttle was at the Paris air show and on the way back to the US it was flown over the UK to allow people to see it , In Scotland preparations where made to lengthen the runway at Prestwick to enable the 747/shuttle to land , but dispute over insurance meant that the landing was cancelled and there was just a low pass at Prestwick Airport . Ian Downie was at Prestwick Airport and Myself and Eric Pollock went to a Field opposite Glasgow Airport where I managed to take Photos.
I got a better view at the field as this was the lowest point as the 747 flew over the perimeter fence of the airport it began the climb and banking manoeuvre to take it to East Kilbride, Oscar and Tony Thomson where at Glasgow Airport but they only had poor view through the terminal windows. The Reason for East Kilbride was that Rockwell had a factory there and as makers of the shuttle it was to make a fly past. at one point I was going to go to East Kilbride but changed my mind just as well because the pilot missed the factory and there was only a very poor view there. I still have the video of Scotland Todays coverage.
youngsod
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby ChrisWoods » Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:31 pm

No way it was 1983, I saw it from my Primary School classroom and I started Secondary in 1982.
ChrisWoods
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby John » Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:50 pm

I can remember seeing it flying over Cathcart.
'It's a sad day for capitalism when a man can't fly a midget on a kite over Central Park'
John
-
-

Postby BTJustice » Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:05 pm

My dad has a picture of it as it flew over Cathcart. I will see if I can find it later.
My all new film location website is here;
www.rewoundandfound.com

Check oot ma flickr page;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/route9autos/

For handmade jewellery, go to:
http://www.weegemjo.co.uk
BTJustice
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fraz13 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:06 pm

I used to live on the flightpath in Johnstone, At the top of the thorn in Overton Road, It was as if the planes used Overton Road as a guide...

Anyhoo we saw some amazing sights from that house including the Shuttle that this threads about, Concorde and a Hercules which was the biggest slowest plane ever to pass and we just crossed our fingers that it would just keep going....
Fraz13
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Sydney Rosewater » Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:26 pm

About maybe somewhere between 1987/88/90 I was in my grans back garden in garrowhill and we saw a giant quite low flying plane, hercules style. We were leavin at that point and got in my dads car and as we drove along the m8 going to my other gran's in Sighthill it was never too far ahead of us. When we came of the motorway and were driving down fountainwell road it was a good bit ahead of us to the west. Then a load of parachutes came out of it! people on the end of them, who knows. Never found out what this was about.
Sydney Rosewater
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Field Marshall Shug » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:52 pm

I have told many people this was my greatest memory ever!

I was in primary school in Johnstone and we were all allowed to watch and the sun was bouncing of the silver 747 as she passed low towards Paisley with that beautiful monster strapped to her.
Field Marshall Shug
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Location: Listening to Strawberry Switchblade on a burst sofa.

Postby chipsteak » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:52 am

If anyone has photos of this i would love to see them just so i can prove to people that i didn't dream it. :)
chipsteak
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)