Boom & Bust

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Woolies in Administration:

Postby Mori » Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:07 pm

Those of us who can afford broadband will sit at home happily ordering everything from Tescos etc off the internet with maybe the occasional visit to an out of town mall to break the monotony and the inner cities will just have to wait for the next property speculation boom.

Report from January this year
Seemingly the UK is the 2nd highest Internet shopper on the globe.

New statistics on the overall online shopping trends - Over 875 Million Consumers Have Shopped Online - the Number of Internet Shoppers Up 40% in Two Years.
Among Internet users with Internet access using it shop, the highest percentage shopping online is found in:

South Korea (99%)
UK (97%)
Germany (97%)
Japan (97%)
US (94%)
The most popular and purchased items are:

Books (41% purchased in the past three months)
Clothing/Accessories/Shoes (36%)
Videos / DVDs / Games (24%)
Airline Tickets (24%)
Electronic Equipment (23%)

The complete Press Release and detailed data is available here.

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:24 pm

I'm a crap consumer. Apart from food and drink I've purchased little in the last 12 months. The only item from Woolies was a hot water bottle.
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Roxburgh » Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:11 pm

Roxburgh
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby OLDFART » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:02 pm

Olan Mills mmm suspicious of this one as they did it in 2006 & 2007. dispite having loads of booked sessions

http://www.olanmills.co.uk/
OLDFART
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Mori » Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:52 am

Aparently they have a Studio in the Trongate somewhere
Olan Mills

Trongate GLASGOW, Lanarkshire
G1 5HF

T: 0141 552 2593
F:
Unfortunately we do not have an email address for this entry, but please mention you found them on creativematch if contacting them by phone or via their website.
» http://www.olanmills.co.uk
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby OLDFART » Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:49 am

they are usually based in mothercare
OLDFART
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: Boom & Bust

Postby Mori » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:08 am

Herald

25,000 set to go bankrupt as recession shrinks economy

:|

More than 25,000 Scots - 500 a week - will be declared bankrupt this year as the recession tightens its grip, experts are predicting.

Leading accountants PKF say more than 20,000 Scots went bankrupt in 2008, with an average debt of almost £41,000 without mortgage, and that the situation is poised to get worse.

The warning comes amid another dire economic forecast which paints a depressing picture of the next 12 months.

Herald

One in 10 to become jobless as recession kicks in
Unemployment will claim one in 10 of the workforce as the recession tightens, according to industry leaders.

The British Chambers of Commerce claims that the jobless figure would rise to 3.1m over the next two years - taking the unemployment rate back to the early 1990s.

Latest figures show that there were 31.53m jobs in the UK in September, down 134,000 over the quarter and down 71,000 over the year. This is the biggest quarterly fall in jobs since December 1992 yet does not take account of the recent casualties of the downturn
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Holloway » Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:43 am

The company I work for has never paid people off, I hope that keeps going.

One of the reasons I moved down here was because I was made redundant twice in six years. Since I came down here, I've never been out of work. Each job I went for, I got, and each job I got, I went up in the earnings scale. I have been very lucky in that respect.

My heart goes out to all those people who lose their jobs and their homes, we are, I fear, in for some frightening times.
I'm just a guy from THE Garngad
Holloway
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Roxburgh » Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:38 am

This will be my fourth recession - I entered the workforce in the mid-1970s when we had stagflation and compulsory wage restraint. Then there was the crash at the end of the eighties with John Major seeing the green roots of recovery about 3 years before it actually happened. The last one was the dot-com hiccup. A lot of people got through that one by realising equity on their homes.

Unfortunately, I have a very bad feeling about this one and I think it will be worse than any of the others I have lived through. I can't explain in facts or figures why I think this but 32 years of experience tells me this.
Roxburgh
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:36 am

People have taken out too much credit Rox ! thats the nuts and bolts of it, like yourself i have seen several recessions over the decades but this one has yet to bring in the final whipcracks that are predicted... i fear they will be back lashes rather than the cracks, the average worker has taken out more credit than what they are worth, which is not their fault either... the government promoted lending over the last decade and now the system has come home to roost when they want paid back.

Just hate reading the downturn in the media everyday, its so disheartning and demoralising. :|
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Holloway » Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:25 am

I worked in the car factory in Linwood when the closure was announced. It seemed the whole of Linwood just went into despondency mode.

Again at the time I walked into a job straight away, but thousands of my colleagues didnt.

The next time around, I wasn't so lucky. That bitch thatchers policies were starting to hurt Scotland, but when I went on holiday to england with my redundancy money, there were jobs galore!!!

So it was time to pack the bags, which it turned out so did roughly half my year at school, a shameful drain on Scotlands best resource, and head south to the land of hope and glory.

Working in public transport here, in a publicly owned company, I feel my job is probably one of the most secure in these hard times, but I'm not complacent enough to think it will never happen to me again.
I'm just a guy from THE Garngad
Holloway
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby BenCooper » Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:15 am

Mori wrote:Just hate reading the downturn in the media everyday, its so disheartning and demoralising. :|

Stop reading the media - their panic isn't helping either. One news item yesterday made me laugh - some worried mortgage broker saying that "average house prices have dropped to 2004 levels"! So what that means really is that we've had a mad four years of stupidly unsustainable housing price rises, and now it's edging back to the mean.
www.transientplaces.co.uk
BenCooper
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Mori » Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:16 pm

Stop reading the media

Its a bit hard not to read or listen to the media where headlines are top of the agenda concerning the economy.

As i started this thread, when i woke up that early morning hours with the hard hitting news of the recession blaring in my ears, a lot of memories came flooding back of what happend to me and my family at that time in the previous recession of the 90s.

Although things have stabilised with myself it always remains in your mind of the recovery process of getting yourself back on your feet and seeing what is happening to good hard working people who have built a home & family for years and sudenly get the rug pulled out from under their feet by a bunch of pen pushers who would not know a hard days work if it hit them on their faces.

Today i recieved a ream of blank cheques from my credit card company stating that i can spend up to £15k on anything i want 8O , why have they sent me these cheques in these hard time when people cant get credit!! ... i'll tell you why, because last month i paid off my card to save me the interest payments and so my mind could be a bit futher away from debt, the moment the CC companies see that they will loose out because a person has the ability to pay they will pounce on you to go in to further debt and to remain their so that they get their big fat commisions and not worry about if the person that is borowing whether they lose their homes or not.

My Mum & Dads sayings now come to mind, always cut your cloth accordingly.

This government has a lot to answer for.

Mori

Seething Image
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:27 pm

Mori wrote:
I remember my dad mentioning a reccesion during the 70s , shrugged my shoulders and said whisssat ?...
then we had another recession in the early 90s where i lost £100k's while trying to retain the family buisness which my father had built up over the years... Lost my parents house they left me and lots of debt, would the government listen would the banks help? noooooo efn waaaaayy.

British and scottish Governments Wake up and smell the shite you are shoveling good hard workinf families are being affected by the hundreds every day.

Mori. :?

Mori wrote: .........................................
This government has a lot to answer for.

Mori

Seething Image

You seem inordinately fond of blaming the government(s) for all this. You reckon the Tories fucked you in the early 90s. Now you reckon both Labour and, by "scottish Government" (I take it you mean the Tartan Tory Parish Cooncil) are at fault.
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:51 pm

Who else do we blame Tod ? its the Government's that controls the purse, past & present.

If a Government continualy hands out monies to people who cant possibly pay back and are spending beyond their means who else but the Government we can blame .

We can blame ourselves for falling prey to their game aye , we are but a pawn on thier chessboard.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)