Boom & Bust

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Boom & Bust

Postby onyirtodd » Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:17 pm

KonstantinL wrote: ...............
Hopefully Government will not allow this to happen again and having a public stake in the banks will hopefully result in more control over their activities.

Without a public stake in some banks I doubt the Homeowner Mortgage Support Scheme, announced yesterday, would be almost impossible to implement.

I await the small print with interest but, on the face of it, it seems to be a very worthwhile use of public dosh.
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Woolies in Administration:

Postby Josef » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:22 pm

KonstantinL wrote:I got a box set of 4 Coen Brothers movies for £10 a couple of days ago.

From the Argyle Street one? Any left?
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby KonstantinL » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:27 pm

It was the one in Motherwell, I'd imagine they carry the same stock though.

For the record it included The Big Lebowski, Blood Simple, The Hudsucker Proxy and Barton Fink.
KonstantinL
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Mori » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:07 pm

Sorry but more gloom i'm afraid :|

Daily Record

Scottish HM Revenue and Customs staff face axe

Dec 4 2008

HUNDREDS of jobs are to be axed at HM Revenue and Customs offices across Scotland, staff were told today.

A total of 400 posts will be shed as part of a UK-wide shake-up in the way taxes are collected.
Union leaders and politicians condemned the move, saying it would be bad news for taxpayers and would lead to the loss of valuable skills and expertise.
The cuts will see 20 offices across the country shut, in places including Ayr, Greenock, Inverness and Wick.
There will be nine HMRC offices left north of the border after the job losses.
A phased shut-down will begin in 2010 and HMRC plans fully to vacate the buildings earmarked for closure before spring 2012.The jobs blow in Scotland is part of a plan across Britain to close more than 90 offices and axe 3,400 posts.
Redundancies at Herald & Times
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
evening times

Redundancies at Herald & Times

THE Herald and Times Group yesterday announced plans for a radical restructure to create a multi-media editorial operation.

As part of the plans, more than 230 journalists working on The Herald, Sunday Herald, and Evening Times were advised they face redundancy and have been invited to apply for new posts within the revised structure.

The titles' management said the changes were part of an ambitious plan to secure its digital future and weather the severe economic storm affecting the British media industry.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BBC

Council to cut 400 from workforce

Scotland's largest council is aiming to cut up to 400 jobs in the next year in a bid to save almost £23m.

Glasgow City Council said posts would go in social work and education, land and environmental services and the chief executive's department.
The authority stressed that there would be no compulsory redundancies.
Its directors of human resources and finance have held preliminary meetings with unions to discuss the plans which go before the full council in February.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Roxburgh » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:03 am

It is much worse than many realise. Construction is a disaster zone as is agency employment. Another web site I post on has regular threads detailing job losses.
Roxburgh
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Its_a_gamp » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:27 am

Announced half an hour ago

Woolies having big sale;

50% off all toys and greetings cards
30% off all trees and Decs
20% off all personal gifts
and reductions on all entertainment (unspecified)
Due to cutbacks, the light at the end of the tunnel is off until further notice!
Its_a_gamp
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:51 am

I was in the one on arygle st this morning. busy for 8.30. games have 10% books 20% off. xbox out of stock

F
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby Roxburgh » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:09 pm

GameStop bids for half of Woolworths' shops

http://www.reuters.com/article/companyN ... 205?rpc=11
Roxburgh
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scottland » Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:03 pm

In Argyle st store this evening,long queues at the checkout.It was getting a bit messy when I left.
Aye,well.
scottland
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tobester » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:48 pm

Breaking news tonight, the administrators have announce a Store Closure sale starting from tomorrow morning. Not a Closing Down sale, but a closure sale.

Sad day, but hopefully branches thatll be bought by other firms will get jobs with them when the branches reopen as whatever they will become.
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Verbal Kint » Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:10 pm

Well thought I would pop in today since the media have been hyping up today's closing sale. Place was packed however it appears no changes have been made. I was hoping for a 50% off on all stock and quickly made my way to the games counters for some PC, PS3 and Wii games only to find out a paltry 10% off original price only.

However even though I had spotted this was not a bargain people were panic buying without even noticing they were paying more than game station across the road. Stuntman Ignition for the PS3 is a good example down from £50 to £45 available else where for £12.99.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7776634.stm

Its amazing what the hype has done for the store they could be profitable in no time selling at these overly inflated rates.
Verbal Kint
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Its_a_gamp » Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:58 pm

We have noticed that as well. I am waiting until they make everything 50% off. Although my son did get lego batman for PS2 for £13.45 which was a good price. Sweets are all cheaper in Tesco's even after the discount!
Due to cutbacks, the light at the end of the tunnel is off until further notice!
Its_a_gamp
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dave » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:21 am

I'm beginning to think it's all propaganda, like the credit crunch. Got to hand it to the marketing department - hang 30,000 jobs and a hefty discount in front of a public baying for blood and you'll soon sell all yer shit.
A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby nuttytigger » Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:23 pm

a woman was quoted on bbc news saying she thought the discounts would be better!

aye season of goodwill right enough
nuttytigger
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Robbo » Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:45 pm

Anyone get any good bargains yet, I got 6 £10 o2
phone top up cards the other day for £30.

So thought that was a good deal although other stuff
looks like it's dearer than in other shops even after discount.

The had other major networks top up cards at half price as well
Robbo
First Stripe
First Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)