Flat rental in Glasgow: links or suggestions?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Flat rental in Glasgow: links or suggestions?

Postby sds » Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:49 am

Searching the forum for this topic is kinna tricky, because the words "flat" and "rent" come up so often in so many threads...

I'm moving back to Glasgow at the start of November, so I obviously need a place to stay. I know the likes of http://www.citylets.co.uk/ and http://www.gspc.co.uk/rental/ for browsing properties currently available, but I'm wondering if anybody has any other (good) links?

Recommendations for websites with neat features (e.g., on citylets I can subscribe to an RSS feed of flats meeting my criteria), or letting agents who offer good customer service (i.e., don't consider tenants the scum of the earth who deserve to be dicked around as often as possible with made-up fees) are very, very welcome indeed.

I work up at Glasgow Uni, but would probably prefer something in the Ibrox/Cessnock area. (The flats are cheaper, often larger, and the underground is handy.) Public transport and commuting is my bugbear: I dislike long commutes, and I loathe waiting for missing buses, missed connections, delayed trains, etc, and will generally be willing to pay a little more for the correct flat which allows me to avoid as much of that as possible. There are obviously lots of other areas I'd consider as well, though, but those are restricted if I'm fussy on transport. So, ideally I find information on as many flats as I can, from as many sources as possible.

Part of the problem is that I don't know bus routes, and I only trust First as far as I can throw a shitty stick. But if there was a flat with ideal bus routes to the west end and the city centre, then I'd consider. Is there a good way to search bus routes?

I'm starting to look now, and look carefully, because I'd plan on staying in whichever flat I find for two years (three, max), before moving on.
sds
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: Flat rental in Glasgow: links or suggestions?

Postby Peetabix » Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:08 am

Peetabix
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby sds » Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:45 am

Peetabix wrote:Bus Routes

Actually, that's quite a good route map there...

I'm sure I've seen something searchable though, something that can give me convenient bus/train times if I give a start and end point. Perhaps I've imagined it?
sds
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Peetabix » Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:01 am

I don't know of a service like that but if you got a flat near the number 44 route you're laughing.
Peetabix
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:11 am

sds wrote:I'm sure I've seen something searchable though, something that can give me convenient bus/train times if I give a start and end point. Perhaps I've imagined it?

Perhaps this?
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:32 am

Peetabix wrote:I don't know of a service like that but if you got a flat near the number 44 route you're laughing.

A 9 from Ibrox/ Cessnock to Hope Street and then a 44 to Gilmorehill would work. If you don't mind the walk from Dumbarton Rd to whichever bit of GU you work, a 9 will take you straight to either opposite Kelvingrove Art Gallery or opposite the Western Infirmary.
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby sds » Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:44 am

Josef wrote:
sds wrote:I'm sure I've seen something searchable though, something that can give me convenient bus/train times if I give a start and end point. Perhaps I've imagined it?

Perhaps this?

Aha, yes, I think that's what I was thinking of.

It's not 100% accurate (it's not as good as TFL's journey planner, for instance), but it could prove useful if I spot an interesting flat in a new location.

Peetabix: Yeah, I've seen the 44 pass through the university for years. I'd consider somewhere down Cathcart way, but I've heard that the bus service can be pretty slow during rush hours. Do you know? I imagine it could be -- given that it would have to pass right through the city centre.

onyirtodd: Cheers for the info on the number 9. Up to the Kelvingrove might be handy. Handier than changing on Hope street, for sure ;)
sds
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby OLDFART » Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:50 pm

cathcart/battlefield area pretty quiet with large flats, not to sure about cheap £400-550 is average price for one bedroom flat. 44 is quite fast to university even in morning.
OLDFART
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Sharon » Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:11 pm

If you don't get nervous about private landlords, give gumtree a try. It worked for me :)
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby potatojunkie » Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:20 pm

sds wrote:I'd consider somewhere down Cathcart way, but I've heard that the bus service can be pretty slow during rush hours. Do you know? I imagine it could be -- given that it would have to pass right through the city centre.

It's Pollockshaws Road that's the killer, seeing as every bus in Glasgow seems to travel its length.

The Cathcart circle train service is fairly frequent and generally quite reliable, and there are some lovely flats down Mount Florida way.
I will shoot you: http://www.stuartcrawfordphoto.com/
potatojunkie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Verbal Kint » Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:42 pm

I am just about to put my flat up for let in Scotstoun but may be out your budget as I am looking for £550 a month, but you should be able to pick one up in the £400 - £500 range around there. Great links for the university my missus used to work their and got he usual 9, 62, 42 buses to the bottom end gate of of the uni on Dumbarton road.
Verbal Kint
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby sds » Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:31 am

Sharon wrote:If you don't get nervous about private landlords, give gumtree a try. It worked for me :)
Hrm, I hadn't thought of gumtree. I'll give it a browse!

OLDFART wrote:cathcart/battlefield area pretty quiet with large flats, not to sure about cheap £400-550 is average price for one bedroom flat. 44 is quite fast to university even in morning.
potatojunkie wrote:It's Pollockshaws Road that's the killer, seeing as every bus in Glasgow seems to travel its length.

The Cathcart circle train service is fairly frequent and generally quite reliable, and there are some lovely flats down Mount Florida way.
Yes, Cathcart & nearby would probably work for me, if the commute was okay. £400 for a decent, furnished 1 bedroom flat appears to be close to the lowest cost at the moment.

The irritation with taking the train to central then the underground to the west end is that it's not a direct connection, and always seems to take longer than it should. (I often used to arrive in Central from outside Glasgow, and then change to the underground.)

Guestimate: How long does the 44 normally take around rush hours?

Verbal Kint wrote:I am just about to put my flat up for let in Scotstoun but may be out your budget as I am looking for £550 a month, but you should be able to pick one up in the £400 - £500 range around there. Great links for the university my missus used to work their and got he usual 9, 62, 42 buses to the bottom end gate of of the uni on Dumbarton road.
Yeah, £550 is a bit out of my budget, especially since I'd have to pay travel on top of that.

I currently like the Cessnock sort of area because it's walkable in nice weather, and the underground is really convenient in crappy weather, or if I'm feeling lazy. So I'd probably be willing to spend a little more on rent in that area; I trade-off the cost of rent with commuting costs with where ever I consider.
sds
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby potatojunkie » Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:06 pm

potatojunkie wrote:Pollockshaws

Tsk.
I will shoot you: http://www.stuartcrawfordphoto.com/
potatojunkie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:51 am

Sharon wrote:If you don't get nervous about private landlords, give gumtree a try. It worked for me :)

Just watch out for this Image guy.
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby OLDFART » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:06 pm

at a rough guess the 44 takes 30-40 minutes. even in morning its 10-15 min service and generally on time. from Victoria hospital :mrgreen:
OLDFART
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)