Gravestones in the Botanics

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Gravestones in the Botanics

Postby maccoinnich » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:31 pm

Apologies if this has been done before — I almost can't believe it hasn't — but I'm not having any luck finding anything on search. Anyone know the story behind why there are gravestones used in the drystone walls, near the public toilets, in the Botanic Gardens?

maccoinnich
First Stripe
First Stripe

Re: Gravestones in the Botanics

Postby Ronnie » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:54 pm

Is there anything in the book " The Story of Glasgow Botanic Gardens" by Eric Curtis (Argyll Publishing)? The author was for many years the director of the gardens. You could try asking the current general manager (Ewen Donaldson - [email protected] ) or the curator (Paul Matthews - [email protected] ). Let us know what you find out.
upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart
Ronnie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dot » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:24 pm

Not sure whether I can help you at all. Perhaps someone at the Botanic Gardens would know the answer to this or you could ask someone at the Mitchell Library.
Think I read somewhere that there were old gravestones at Govan Old Parish Church built around 1884 or so.
It seems they had a collection some of which dated back to 10th and 11th centuries.
At some stage there was an old factory demolished in the area and it would appear that some of the gravestones were damaged and then taken to Glasgow University. So perhaps someone at the university could help.
Think the site was something like http://www.rcahms.gov.uk but if this doesn't work you can try google Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland.
Hope you get an answer as expect a lot of people are curious.
Dot
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Monument » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:12 pm

I can't believe Ronnie doesn't know the answer to this question 8O
A vagabond on the way.
Monument
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ronnie » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:27 pm

Monument wrote:I can't believe Ronnie doesn't know the answer to this question 8O

I don't. 8O I could have had a guess, but I thought that pointing the OP to a trusted sources was a better option. I suppose I could have done the research myself, and then presented the answer to you all, but I'm tired after travelling back from Poland, and sometimes I don't want to be (or to look like) a know-it-all. :|
Ronnie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:45 pm

This is a very interesting find.

I am sure someone in the Parks Department will know about the use of Headstones in the building of the wall. If I can find out anything I will let you know.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby maccoinnich » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:44 pm

Thanks for the suggestions - I may well try emailing them.

For what it's worth, when my mate and I noticed them, an older gentlemen came up to us and started talking. He was of the opinion that they might be from an old graveyard in Anderston, that was cleared away during the construction of the M8. Looking at old maps, he's certainly correct that there was a graveyard there, but whether some of the graves wound up in the botanics, I have no idea.
maccoinnich
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Monument » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:42 pm

Ronnie wrote:
Monument wrote:I can't believe Ronnie doesn't know the answer to this question 8O

I don't. 8O I could have had a guess, but I thought that pointing the OP to a trusted sources was a better option. I suppose I could have done the research myself, and then presented the answer to you all, but I'm tired after travelling back from Poland, and sometimes I don't want to be (or to look like) a know-it-all. :|

It wasn't a criticism, just that it's near your house, and it's to do with graveyards, and you are a bit of a know it all in that department, in a good way :)
A vagabond on the way.
Monument
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ronnie » Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:38 pm

Thanks, M. I didn't take it as a criticism, and I just wanted to explain why I didn't - as might be expected - have the answer at the tip of my fingers.

Other M: You "may well try e-mailing them" :? You've raised this fabulous question ... we demand answers! :)
Ronnie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Monument » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:36 pm

Ronnie wrote:
Other M: You "may well try e-mailing them" :? You've raised this fabulous question ... we demand answers! :)

Yes, I am looking forward to an answer to this one too!
A vagabond on the way.
Monument
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mrsam » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:16 pm

Just as a side point I was under the impression Grave plots and Stones belonged for inperpituity to the linear reletives of the people buried in the grave so that in Scotland graveyards are never cleared whereas in England they are cleared after 100 years?

A nice find of some Victorian gravestones well spotted.

Mr Sam

*Edit* are there more out there to be found Mr Glass can you shed light?
Hmmm I wonder what happens if i press that lever.... Ahh It operates that shiny new plug socket!

www..photobucket.com/albums/ll103/thecuriocollector

www..photobucket.com/albums/v195/tarbat2003
mrsam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Its_a_gamp » Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:45 pm

Graveyards are definitely cleared, I have gone to a few only to find that they are now a housing estate!
Due to cutbacks, the light at the end of the tunnel is off until further notice!
Its_a_gamp
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:54 pm

mrsam wrote:Just as a side point I was under the impression Grave plots and Stones belonged for inperpituity to the linear reletives of the people buried in the grave so that in Scotland graveyards are never cleared whereas in England they are cleared after 100 years?

A nice find of some Victorian gravestones well spotted.

Mr Sam

*Edit* are there more out there to be found Mr Glass can you shed light?

I am making some enquiries Mr Sam and will report back with any information
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ronnie » Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:28 am

maccoinnich wrote:Thanks for the suggestions - I may well try emailing them.

Any luck?
Ronnie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:38 am

Recieved this from a friend in Australia:
Gees I am dredging the dim recesses of my memory here. I seem to rember that they were part of the "spoil" dug up during the excavations for a railway line in mid to late 1800s but I cannot be certain the bell ringing is far to faint
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)