Steepest Streets in Glasgow

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Steepest Streets in Glasgow

Postby glasgowken » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:24 pm

Before the war GCT used to test buses on Gardner Street. It's a wonder the tenements don't slide down the hill ::): (yes I know that can't actually happen :wink: ).
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby red_kola » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:37 pm

Cleveden Road up from Dorchester Avenue?

When they were planning to revive a full Glasgow Marathon a few years ago (some sort of anniversary thing, I think) they sent a transit van full of officials around the entire 26 mile route to asses its suitability for both fun and professional runners. At around 17 miles, the van broke down trying to ascend this hill.

And the race went ahead using an unchanged route... Sadists.
Destroy All Monsters
red_kola
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby AlanM » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:18 am

glasgowken wrote:Before the war GCT used to test buses on Gardner Street. It's a wonder the tenements don't slide down the hill ::): (yes I know that can't actually happen :wink: ).

The Fire Brigade also did regular turntable ladder drills at the top of Gardner St, obviously much trickier to set up and operate on a steep incline
Who needs a six pack....when you've got a keg!!!
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:26 am

red_kola wrote:Cleveden Road up from Dorchester Avenue?

When they were planning to revive a full Glasgow Marathon a few years ago (some sort of anniversary thing, I think) they sent a transit van full of officials around the entire 26 mile route to asses its suitability for both fun and professional runners. At around 17 miles, the van broke down trying to ascend this hill.

What the fuck would a transit van full of officials know about assessing the suitability of a marathon course?
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Jazza » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:35 pm

Ah Gardiner Street, great memories of cycling down it on our bmx's a 'wee' while back, my school mate reaches the bottom and his front wheel came detached. cue a broken arm and a messed up face.

My vote goes to the street between sauchiehall st and the tart school
Eighty percent of success is showing up.
Jazza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby shuffle » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:55 pm

Westerton, which is on the border of the Glasgow boundary has two very steep streets,namely Maxwell Avenue and the steepest being Murrayfield drive, which rather oddly sits right in front of the Porsche garage.
shuffle
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby gap74 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:20 pm

If you're looking for a genuine long slog for getting burning calves and the blood pumping on a bike, I suggest the following:

Starting at Burnside Station, East Kibride Rd begins a relentless climb up through Whitlawburn and Cathkin before meeting the dual carriageway up to Nerston in East Kilbride. Not hugely steep on any section, but hideously never-ending!

Alternatively, starting at King's Park Station, take Carmunnock Rd all the way through Simshill and Castlemilk to Carmunnock itself.
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby AlanM » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:09 pm

red_kola wrote:Cleveden Road up from Dorchester Avenue?

Walked up it today, I'd say its not as steep as most of the streets mentioned here
Who needs a six pack....when you've got a keg!!!
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tombro » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:46 am

I know it's my memory of the late 1950's and I was only a kid but I used to get quite scared climbing up Achamore Road in Drumchapel in the front of the top deck of a Number 9 Corpy Bus !

Regards,
Tombro :wink:
Today is the first day of the rest of your life !
tombro
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Mori » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:31 am

Fair bit of steepnes on Shields Rd Hill between Maxwell Rd and bruce Rd leading towards albert drive in polokshields.

When the black ice weather comes in the council has to grit this hill in the area before anywhere else coz of the claims its had from the public over the years.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Reenie Bujman » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:39 am

gap74 wrote:Starting at Burnside Station, East Kibride Rd begins a relentless climb up through Whitlawburn and Cathkin before meeting the dual carriageway up to Nerston in East Kilbride. Not hugely steep on any section, but hideously never-ending!

Even the bus is wheezing at the top of this stretch. Another one it doesn't like is Fernhill Road from the junction with Croftfoot Road.
Reenie Bujman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby peter » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:41 pm

Any time I drive up Rose Street I hear load sliding in back of my van. Ythink it might coup!!!
"I've seen them come and I've seen them go. And I've seen them Die"
peter
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:34 pm

gap74 wrote:
Josef wrote:There's a photo on here somewhere of a lorry embedded in a Sauchiehall Street shop front, after sliding down Scott Street.

I think that was Garnet St, next to the Beresford - one I'd forgotten about, and possibly even steeper than Scott St - certainly longer, so more scope for momentum!

As I recall, it was a Lyon's lorry whose brakes failed, embedded itself in the shop, resulting in a few fatalities and the demolition of the entire building - hence why the corner of Sauchiehall and Elmbank there is a modern brick infill.

I don't think it was a Lyons lorry but it was a Lyon's Cornerhouse. That's also why it was changed from downhill to uphill. Late 60's (68?) I'd have thought.
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:45 pm

OYT's right

Check this web site it's got the lot
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Toaster » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:35 am

Mori wrote:Fair bit of steepnes on Shields Rd Hill between Maxwell Rd and bruce Rd leading towards albert drive in polokshields.

When the black ice weather comes in the council has to grit this hill in the area before anywhere else coz of the claims its had from the public over the years.

I cycle up this one every now and then, wouldn't say it was any steeper than, say, West Campbell Street in the city centre.

Other South Side steep ones I can think of are Ledard Road, between Sinclair Drive and Millbrae Road, and Kennishead Road at the Carnwadric end.

I'd agree with jazza - would vote for one of the streets running North off Sauchiehall, I'd say.
Toaster
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)