Thick Street ???

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Thick Street ???

Postby rogerconway » Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:08 pm

Can anyone help me (I'm not in Glasgow? I am trying to decipher a handwritten address in a poor copy of a document that dates from somewhere between 1928 and 1940.

It looks like "Thick Street, Southside, Glasgow". Is this correct, because I cannot find any such current road via Google? The "Southside" is fairly clear, and the "...ick" part also seems to be. Was there a Thick Street at one time, or can someone suggest another street name from that era that might look like it when poorly written?

I would be very grateful for some help.

Roger
rogerconway
Just settling in
Just settling in

Re: Thick Street ???

Postby Toaster » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:16 pm

rogerconway wrote:Can anyone help me (I'm not in Glasgow? I am trying to decipher a handwritten address in a poor copy of a document that dates from somewhere between 1928 and 1940.

It looks like "Thick Street, Southside, Glasgow". Is this correct, because I cannot find any such current road via Google? The "Southside" is fairly clear, and the "...ick" part also seems to be. Was there a Thick Street at one time, or can someone suggest another street name from that era that might look like it when poorly written?

Roger

Try looking through the "Changed Street Names" section at the Glasgow Guide (link below) to see if anything matches. This gives the old names of many Glasgow streets that have subsequently been renamed. Never heard of a "Thick Street", closest I can think of in the South Side would be Pollok Street.

http://www.glasgowguide.co.uk/info-streetschanged1.html
Toaster
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Its_a_gamp » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:40 pm

Any chance you could scan the document (or the relevant part) maybe if we see it we would have a better chance of identification?
Due to cutbacks, the light at the end of the tunnel is off until further notice!
Its_a_gamp
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby rogerconway » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:22 pm

Its_a_gamp
Thanks for responding. My first attempts to scan it have been unsuccessful. It's quite faint, probably written in pencil, so it just comes out as a smudge because the scanner concentrates on the surrounding entries in ink. I'll keep trying.

Roger
rogerconway
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Its_a_gamp » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:57 pm

A digital camera might work better, maybe someone else can recommend the best way to do this
Due to cutbacks, the light at the end of the tunnel is off until further notice!
Its_a_gamp
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Hoey St » Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:15 pm

rogerconway wrote:Can anyone help me (I'm not in Glasgow? I am trying to decipher a handwritten address in a poor copy of a document that dates from somewhere between 1928 and 1940.

Roger

Thistle St.
Hoey St
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:00 pm

Hoey St wrote:
Thistle St.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby rogerconway » Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:38 pm

Busy Bunny and Dexter St. Clair

Thanks for responding. But its more or less certain that the word ends in "...ick".

Roger
rogerconway
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby zatumate » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:02 pm

there used to be a dick st in maryhill
not the southside though
no sig
zatumate
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Its_a_gamp » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:57 am

There used to be a WICK ST in Govan. Roughly where toys r us is now. (I found it in a pre-1974 A-Z Glasgow)

Could this be where you are looking for?
Its_a_gamp
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Its_a_gamp » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:00 am

Sorry is further up Helen Street towards the river (not at toys r us) Near Govan Cross
Its_a_gamp
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby rogerconway » Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:44 pm

Thanks for the suggestions, but I don't think they fit. The "Southside" part of the address is quite clear, and the start of the "..ick " word is definitely not a D or a W. The more I look at it , the more I am convinced it starts with "Th.." A passing thought, - if it's not "Thick" was there ever a "Thirsk" Street?

Roger
rogerconway
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Dot » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:29 pm

Roger,

My Dad who is from Glasgow originally but now lives in N. Ireland suggests you try speaking to someone in Mitchell Library in Glasgow where they may have street directories which would cover period you are interested in.
But as I think another person has pointed out there have been parts of Glasgow where street names have changed
so that website link may be your first port of call.

Good luck.
Dot
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dazza » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:03 pm

rogerconway wrote:Thanks for the suggestions, but I don't think they fit. The "Southside" part of the address is quite clear, and the start of the "..ick " word is definitely not a D or a W. The more I look at it , the more I am convinced it starts with "Th.." A passing thought, - if it's not "Thick" was there ever a "Thirsk" Street?

So, what started as an almost positive "...ick" is now possibly an "...rsk"? I think we need to see a scan.
dazza
-
-

Postby shuffle » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:42 pm

dazzababes wrote:So, what started as an almost positive "...ick" is now possibly an "...rsk"? I think we need to see a scan.

:roll:
shuffle
First Stripe
First Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)