Copland Court, Ibrox.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Copland Court, Ibrox.

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:39 pm

Excellent first post. Informative to say the least. Please post some more and welcome to Hidden glasgow .
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:32 pm

From the "Industrial era buildings still standing" thread:

viceroy wrote:Copland Road, beside Ibrox Subway StationImage

Built in 1897 as a brush factory for William Morier, wholesale and export brushmaker. Does seem a bit grand for such a purpose but maybe Mr. Morier had money to burn and wanted to make a statement. When I began working in Ibrox about 23 years ago the building was being used by a firm of printers and stationers. Some years ago it was bought by Quality Street who converted it into appartments for letting. It is still used for that purpose although I don’t know who now owns the building.

164 Copland Road, a bit further along from the aboveImage

This nondescript building dates from 1897 and was originally known as the Glasgow Candle Works. It was built for Shearer & Harvey, candle makers. This firm still exists [now simply known as Shearer Candles] and so must be one of the oldest manufacturing companies in Glasgow. They were in business at this location until just a few years ago when they moved to much larger premises beside the Broomloan Road Subway depot near Govan Cross. The building still seems to be in use but I don’t know who W.W.T. are or what they do.

Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Glesga Lawyer » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:36 pm

Re Shearers Candles !
Years ago, I worked for a transport company that did work for them.
They would ship a lot of candles out to Dykebar Hospital, where the patients would work on them,
before being sent back to Shearers for distribution.
After returning to Shearers from Dykebar one day, an old Irishman wearing a boiler suit came up to me and said,
" Will this be your van sir ? "
"Why ? ", said I.
"Would you be interested in taking some lead to the scrap yard for us ? We'll see you alright ! "
The scrapyard, McIlwraith, was just around the corner, so I said OK !
At that, he took a few steps out onto Copland Road,and shouted up to two guys up on the tenement roof, " OK LADS ! "
It satrted raining lead :o ::):
Keep asking the questions
And question the answers
Glesga Lawyer
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby lynnski » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:10 pm

I've seen that 'Shearers Candles' round at Broomloan, will need to go and take some pics, if this rain ever lets up... :( Yeah, I have no idea who WWT are either! It's always empty looking, you never really see anyone coming or going. The whole area's going down the pan. First the butchers closes, now the Haddow's has gone, the woman that worked there told me that whole row of shops might be closing, which would mean we'd lose the newsagents, pharmacy and Briggs food shop. That would be a shame. I'm more increasingly having to nip round to Cessnock to use the shops there. That butcher's was good too, he did the best pork chops. *sigh*
lynnski
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:35 pm

lynnski wrote:I've seen that 'Shearers Candles' round at Broomloan, will need to go and take some pics, if this rain ever lets up... :( Yeah, I have no idea who WWT are either! It's always empty looking, you never really see anyone coming or going. The whole area's going down the pan. First the butchers closes, now the Haddow's has gone, the woman that worked there told me that whole row of shops might be closing, which would mean we'd lose the newsagents, pharmacy and Briggs food shop. That would be a shame. I'm more increasingly having to nip round to Cessnock to use the shops there. That butcher's was good too, he did the best pork chops. *sigh*

Again, from the "Industrial era buildings still standing" thread, WWT are World-Wide Tropicals - aquarium fish supplier.

And the butchers has gone? 8O It was almost never open when I was able to use it, but I did like the potted hough.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby big/davie » Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:46 pm

lynnski wrote:I've seen that 'Shearers Candles' round at Broomloan, will need to go and take some pics, if this rain ever lets up... :( Yeah, I have no idea who WWT are either! It's always empty looking, you never really see anyone coming or going. The whole area's going down the pan. First the butchers closes, now the Haddow's has gone, the woman that worked there told me that whole row of shops might be closing, which would mean we'd lose the newsagents, pharmacy and Briggs food shop. That would be a shame. I'm more increasingly having to nip round to Cessnock to use the shops there. That butcher's was good too, he did the best pork chops. *sigh*
Seen one white van in almost a year sit outside the old shearers candles building,Tommy who owned the butchers retired and was losing a lot of cash weekly shame though as his stuff was very good and nice guy to speak to,Haddows had a severe problem with getting staff who turned up and opened it on time,they also lost out in the booze wars with the spar shop and couldn't compete with their prices/deals,Fordyce newsagents defeats me how that shop lasted so long,anne and jack ran it for years then sold it to kate who now problably regrets buying it big time,the briggs shop does alright,but if the call centre ever closes,they will be shut too,which leaves us with the chemist and the spar,the chemist won't close as the junkies keep their profits healthy(£30 for every dose of methdone they give out).

Which finally leaves us with the spar,i'm quite good friends with the owner(ray)his recent overhaul of the shop which cost in excess of £100,000 says a lot about how profitable his shop is in the area in these hard times,if you look at haddows,briggs and the newsagents,you can purchase everything these shops sell in the spar,kind of like why folk go to asda,everythings in one shop,although it is still sad to see the demise of the local shops especially the newsagents.
big/davie
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Previous

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)