Copland Court, Ibrox.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Copland Court, Ibrox.

Postby big/davie » Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:22 am

lynnski wrote:Lots of people wear Celtic tops around here. There seems to be a large section of Celtic support, and apparently even a 'Celtic pub'. Odd, but there ye go.
it's actually quite strange to see anyone wearing a gers top in Ibrox,more to the point the old building in question is being used for a purpose,better that than being vandalised or set on fire like most of the other empty buildings in the area,someone needs to pump money into the area,it's going downhill rapidly and live in it,seen huge changes here in the last 10/15yrs.
big/davie
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby danny » Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:38 am

i can understand the fears of the people in the ibrox area, they have 2 homeless units to deal with, copland court and the copland hotel both deal with homeless people, most of the people in these units have one addiction or another, physical or mental health issues, as has been said before, some of these people have never held a tennancy and wouldnt know how to cope, paying bills, buying food,they need help to do these things and the help isnt there, neither is the housing stock to home these people, gha are selling of all there land and housing stock to private developers and are not building new homes, so where are the homeless supposed to live, the people of this area dont want homeless on their doorstep, do something about it, get onto your local mp and let him know how you feel, get onto the daily papers and put your side of the argument to them, highlight the problem in your area, and that way your telling your story and maybe the people of glasgow will get to hear of the plight of the homeless problem we have that isnt going to go away until the gha and glasgow district council do something about it and start building affordable housing. 8O
danny
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby onyirtodd » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:57 am

I'm no apologist for Glasgow City Council but form my experience the're doing excellent work supporting local housing associations across the city.

Two particular gapsite developments in the Finnieston/ Sandyford areas are stalled because of compulsory purchase disputes which the council is doing its' damndest to resolve. Without considerable support from GCC the forthcoming 60 unit development at Brechin Street might not have gone ahead.
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby lynnski » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:47 pm

And now there's a wheelchair access ramp being built on this building. Who's paying for that I wonder? :roll: I had to phone the police yesterday as some residents of Copland Court were begging at the nearby Spar. They were standing right at the door so you couldn't get in or out without being asked. They were even asking wee lassies in front of me who were buying sweeties! It's almost constant now, I'm heartily sick of it.
lynnski
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:53 pm

Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Roxburgh » Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:04 am

lynnski wrote:And now there's a wheelchair access ramp being built on this building. Who's paying for that I wonder? :roll:

Yeah ... heaven forfend that the disabled have access to the building :roll:
Roxburgh
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:55 am

Roxburgh wrote:
lynnski wrote:And now there's a wheelchair access ramp being built on this building. Who's paying for that I wonder? :roll:

Yeah ... heaven forfend that the disabled have access to the building :roll:

Never let a wee bit of fairly well ignored legislation get in the way of a nimbyistic rant.
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby big/davie » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:10 pm

lynnski wrote:And now there's a wheelchair access ramp being built on this building. Who's paying for that I wonder? :roll: I had to phone the police yesterday as some residents of Copland Court were begging at the nearby Spar. They were standing right at the door so you couldn't get in or out without being asked. They were even asking wee lassies in front of me who were buying sweeties! It's almost constant now, I'm heartily sick of it.
so how do you know they are from copland court,did they have wee badges round there necks? if the wheelchair access helps someone,then what's your problem,i know the owner of the spar(ray) you talk of very very well,he's aware of the problems with people standing outside asking folk for money,but he can do nothing about it as it's outside the shop,they don't stand right at the door or ray would move them,they stand at the side and ask,it's mostly junkies and alkies that do it.

You asked wonder who's paying for that regards the wheelchair ramp,with the obvious dig at it being tax payers money,but you find it so offensive that after you were "i assume" were asked for money found it top priority to phone the police to report such a trivial matter,wonder who's paying for that eh?? next time either just ignore them as i do or find somewhere else to shop,quite simple solution really.
big/davie
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby lynnski » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:08 pm

Nice photo's Alex, are you trying to make a point or just providing some pictures to brighten up the thread? :D

My main problem was that they were harassing weans for money, the kids looked pretty scared. I don't think that's trivial. I get asked for money practically every day. Some guy even tried to grab the carrier bag I had my lunch in from me last week.

I think it's fairly obvious where these guys come from. We never used to have this level of begging in the area until this unit was opened. And not just begging. The level of vandalism has increased (including a menshie for the 'homeless crew'!), the litter has got worse, I've had two separate people get into my close and start banging doors in past 2 months, you cannot walk from the Spar to the underground without being asked for money, there is at least one fight a week (usually outside the chippy)...it goes on.

You can call me a nimby until you're blue in the face, I really don't care. I've made my case for why I think this is the wrong place, you don't have to agree with me. Someone else (sorry, can't remember who) actually summed up the whole shambles much more eloquently than I can, why put a unit for alcoholics who 'will not or cannot stop drinking' across the road from a pub?!

Funny how everyone was pretty much in agreement about the hostels over next to Queens Park being a bad thing, yet this is seen as different for some reason?
lynnski
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby big/davie » Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:09 am

lynnski wrote:Nice photo's Alex, are you trying to make a point or just providing some pictures to brighten up the thread? :D

My main problem was that they were harassing weans for money, the kids looked pretty scared. I don't think that's trivial. I get asked for money practically every day. Some guy even tried to grab the carrier bag I had my lunch in from me last week.

I think it's fairly obvious where these guys come from. We never used to have this level of begging in the area until this unit was opened. And not just begging. The level of vandalism has increased (including a menshie for the 'homeless crew'!), the litter has got worse, I've had two separate people get into my close and start banging doors in past 2 months, you cannot walk from the Spar to the underground without being asked for money, there is at least one fight a week (usually outside the chippy)...it goes on.

You can call me a nimby until you're blue in the face, I really don't care. I've made my case for why I think this is the wrong place, you don't have to agree with me. Someone else (sorry, can't remember who) actually summed up the whole shambles much more eloquently than I can, why put a unit for alcoholics who 'will not or cannot stop drinking' across the road from a pub?!

Funny how everyone was pretty much in agreement about the hostels over next to Queens Park being a bad thing, yet this is seen as different for some reason?
It was me that commented about it being across from a pub,the guy that tried to grab your bag,you should have booted him in the balls(pardon the french)it's not fairly obvious and your only assuming they came from this hostel,the whole area is rife with junkies and alkies,the vandalisim has been around for years,the place is suffering from years of neglect that's why it looks worse,if your one fight a week annoys you try living in the flats in the oval,constant sight of cops,3 vans and 2 cars just there on wednesday,man found beaten to death in his house so the grapevine goes,constant sight of junkies standing in the foyer waiting for their wee bags being delivered,all under the watchfull eye of cctv,cars being smashed up by that young mob in hinshelwood dr.

Not having a go at you or calling you a nimbie and obvious you still have a bit of pride in the area you live like myself,you have to adapt to your surroundings like i have,it's not nice,i pester feck out of the gha,cleansing and city council,you have to keep booting them up the arse to get them to do anything round here,wish there were more like yourself that lived in the area,it would be a far better place than it is at present.
big/davie
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:42 am

lynnski wrote: ........................
You can call me a nimby until you're blue in the face, I really don't care.

That much is obvious.

lynnski wrote: I've made my case for why I think this is the wrong place,
Er........no, you haven't

lynnski wrote: you don't have to agree with me.
Thank fuck. Mostly, it seems, we don't.

lynnski wrote:Someone else (sorry, can't remember who) actually summed up the whole shambles much more eloquently than I can, why put a unit for alcoholics who 'will not or cannot stop drinking' across the road from a pub?!

Are there many places in Glasgow which aren't across the road from a pub?
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Verbal Kint » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:27 am

Lynnski, I believe the trouble you are having may be due to mis management and a bad selection process for tennants although ship them elsewhere may seem like a good idea it's just not going to happen as these people need assistance and go through a fairly tough selection process to get the accomodation.

I too had concerns about the Loretto Project at the end of my street in Whiteinch. There are often groups of kids with buckie bottles hanging around and it can be quite intimidating. However I have found from experience that Loretto do not tolerate it and deal with issues quickly even involving the police maybe this is because the loretto housing in our street is 50% halfway house 50% special needs.

Quite often these are not even tennants they are visitors to the tennants that cause the issues often children of the tennants friends etc.

I would suggest you get in touch with Loretto or whoever is in charge to resolve the issue and if they don't take it on board approach the police.

lynnski wrote:my worry about the proximity to schools is the fact that I don't think wee weans should be witnessing these events.

I totally agree with your point about the proximity to schools but that seems to be part of there remit if the one in my street is anything to go by see image below taken from live maps:

Verbal Kint
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:58 pm

lynnski wrote:Nice photo's Alex, are you trying to make a point or just providing some pictures to brighten up the thread? :D

I remembered I had taken some photos a few months back and thought it would be appropriate for people to see the building refered to. No point to make. Just thought it would be helpful :!: :wink:
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Jeanette » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:04 pm

Lynnski...

How long have you lived in the South Side?! Because people who live in deprivation aren't exactly a new thing in this part of the city.

Supported accommodation for people who are homeless and/or have addiction problems are highly sought after. There is not enough of this type of housing for people who require it. Yes, the outside of Copland Court isn't exactly desirable. And it's pretty obvious what it is... But the outside of the Stadium across the road isn't exactly much better, but having been in the pub, it's not that bad and the people are friendly. The support workers within the project will be well aware of what is going on, and they will contact the appropriate people, such as police, if it's required.

If people are getting into your close, then you get onto your landlord, housing association or factor for them to check the 'secure entry' door. Moaning about it on a forum isn't going to get you anywhere!!

I live in the southside, just off Govan Road, and I have a friend who lives on Copland Road, so I'm well aware of what's going on. I'm also a social worker so I definitely know about the issues here.

I think we should be more worried about the people who aren't seeking any sort of help, or the young people who think it's ok to throw stones at windows and the gang culture which is rife in this part of the city... which has led to a couple of stabbings within gangs during August.

I always think the best way to deal with the 'jakeys' as you put it is to a) smile and say hello if they say it to you. b) don't stare c) if they ask for money, politely say no, sorry and keep walking. It's all about respect. And the people who live in Copland Court need it just as much as you do. Perhaps you would be more suited in the West End!
Jeanette
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby red_kola » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:12 pm

An insightful first post Jeanette. Welcome to HG :-)
Destroy All Monsters
red_kola
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)