Copland Court, Ibrox.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Copland Court, Ibrox.

Postby Jeanette » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:56 pm

red_kola wrote:An insightful first post Jeanette. Welcome to HG :-)

Thanks!! I try to put across all points of view. Understanding from a professionals point of view and also from someone who is living in the area. I think I've got quite a good perspective! :)
Jeanette
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby deevlash » Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:23 pm

Jeanette wrote:Lynnski...

How long have you lived in the South Side?! Because people who live in deprivation aren't exactly a new thing in this part of the city.

Supported accommodation for people who are homeless and/or have addiction problems are highly sought after. There is not enough of this type of housing for people who require it. Yes, the outside of Copland Court isn't exactly desirable. And it's pretty obvious what it is... But the outside of the Stadium across the road isn't exactly much better, but having been in the pub, it's not that bad and the people are friendly. The support workers within the project will be well aware of what is going on, and they will contact the appropriate people, such as police, if it's required.

If people are getting into your close, then you get onto your landlord, housing association or factor for them to check the 'secure entry' door. Moaning about it on a forum isn't going to get you anywhere!!

I live in the southside, just off Govan Road, and I have a friend who lives on Copland Road, so I'm well aware of what's going on. I'm also a social worker so I definitely know about the issues here.

I think we should be more worried about the people who aren't seeking any sort of help, or the young people who think it's ok to throw stones at windows and the gang culture which is rife in this part of the city... which has led to a couple of stabbings within gangs during August.

I always think the best way to deal with the 'jakeys' as you put it is to a) smile and say hello if they say it to you. b) don't stare c) if they ask for money, politely say no, sorry and keep walking. It's all about respect. And the people who live in Copland Court need it just as much as you do. Perhaps you would be more suited in the West End!

I had the misfortune to live on midlock st for 2 years, and working in retail on the southside means I have the pleasure of meeting these deadbeats fairly regularly. The area was always looking like it was about change for the better especially when the science centre etc opened up. Unfortunately they seem intent on sticking half way houses for deadbeats and junkies in the area, and they seem to want to use building which are actually quite nice, walmer crescent and copland court. Personally Id build a concrete box in the middle of eaglesham moor for them to dry out in, not that many of them actually have any intention of getting off whatever theyre on as recent studies have shown, smack addiction is a lifestyle choice.

Begging shouldnt be tolerated anywhere, its unsolicited, unsightly and can be construed as threatening. I usually tell the deadbeats to "get a job". They usually moan about not being able too or some crap that I dont care about, then threaten some kind of violence, whilst shuffling forward in an uncoordinated manner. Personally Id shoot them and be done with them. Drug addiction is fine of you can afford it and it doesnt affect anyone else. If it does then let the left wing hippies who indulge them pay for their bed, board and brew money/methadone. I couldnt give a shit if they all died tomorrow.

As my one act of charity I d pay for a massive dose of free 100% heroin for them, theyd all OD within the day and we could all go about our daily business without them leeching off us anymore.
banned for being a whiny little prick
deevlash
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby sds » Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:50 pm

deevlash wrote:Begging shouldnt be tolerated anywhere, its unsolicited, unsightly and can be construed as threatening. I usually tell the deadbeats to "get a job". They usually moan about not being able too or some crap that I dont care about, then threaten some kind of violence, whilst shuffling forward in an uncoordinated manner. Personally Id shoot them and be done with them. Drug addiction is fine of you can afford it and it doesnt affect anyone else. If it does then let the left wing hippies who indulge them pay for their bed, board and brew money/methadone. I couldnt give a shit if they all died tomorrow.

A much larger problem being that it's common knowledge that Methadone rarely solves any problems, it's merely a substitute. So very little actually changes for the addict in question. Further, far too many people in prisons are on methadone without any serious form of further help. Granted, you need to want to be helped first before anything can save you at all, but there exists the question mark over whether it makes sense to repeatedly imprison an offender whose actions are clearly fuelled by an addiction to whatever substances they chose in their younger years. Imprisonment is decided by an event, there's often little real analysis of the deeper cause of that event.

Sure, there are deadbeats, people who will never retain any hope no matter what they're offered, and will want to sponge until the day they die. And there are people whose social circle exists entirely within the prison system, who have no shame in being in a place where they get tended to and know plenty friends. (It's not uncommon for an offender to be released from prison, then be back within a week; sometimes 24 hours.) And then there are the many others who would regret the direction their life has taken if they weren't caught in that money/drugs/accomodation cycle.

It's almost impossible to draw as broad a stroke across anybody who asks for money on the street as you've managed.
sds
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:53 pm

and working in retail on the southside means I have the pleasure of meeting these deadbeats fairly regularly.

Still regretting not getting the M&S job?
Aldi's the new M&S. No it is.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:01 am

..................Perhaps you would be more suited in the West End!

She's even less popular than me over there :wink:
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby lynnski » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:30 am

Roxburgh, are you saying I have no right at all to be a bit apprehensive about this, or be fed up by the almost constant harrasment for money? Not at all? Wanna come spend a week here travelling to and from work??

big davie, thanks for your comments. I know the bit I'm in isn't as bad a some nearby. I don't think that Ibrox and Cessnock are that bad, it seems to be a minority that drag an area down. I have many friends who live nearby and like it too.

Onny, yes, there are plenty places in Glasgow that are not across the road from pubs. I think you are being obtuse for the sake of it here.

Verbal Kint, thanks also for your input, it's good to hear from someone else who's seen a similar situation.

Alex Glass, thanks! :) Here's another pic:

Made me chuckle! :)

Deevlash, I think you're being a bit harsh there. I don't wish any harm on these people. Said it before, my uncle is an alcoholic, and he certainly didn't start out with that intention. It can happen to anyone and I don't think people with problems should be discarded by society.

sds, another good post, cheers.

Onny. Yer nothing but a shit stirrer. :roll:
Last edited by lynnski on Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
lynnski
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby lynnski » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:42 am

How long have you lived in the South Side?! Because people who live in deprivation aren't exactly a new thing in this part of the city.

Almost 2 years now. Before that I lived in Maryhill for almost 10, so I'm not exactly unused to neds/junkies/alkies.

Jeanette wrote:Supported accommodation for people who are homeless and/or have addiction problems are highly sought after. There is not enough of this type of housing for people who require it. Yes, the outside of Copland Court isn't exactly desirable. And it's pretty obvious what it is... But the outside of the Stadium across the road isn't exactly much better, but having been in the pub, it's not that bad and the people are friendly. The support workers within the project will be well aware of what is going on, and they will contact the appropriate people, such as police, if it's required.

It's good to hear the workers will be keeping an eye, but I have to say, I've never seen any evidence of them being there, but have seen police cars outside the building on quite a few occasions.

Jeanette wrote:If people are getting into your close, then you get onto your landlord, housing association or factor for them to check the 'secure entry' door. Moaning about it on a forum isn't going to get you anywhere!!

Not moaning, just pointing out things that have happened in the past few months. The police were called. There was no problem with the security door, it works ok, I think someone had left it unlocked. That's not happened for a while!

Jeanette wrote:I live in the southside, just off Govan Road, and I have a friend who lives on Copland Road, so I'm well aware of what's going on. I'm also a social worker so I definitely know about the issues here.

Maybe you should try looking at the issue from a Joe Public point of view rather than a social worker one. I have every respect for your job, it's a difficult one and I wouldn't do it for all the money in the world!

Jeanette wrote:I think we should be more worried about the people who aren't seeking any sort of help, or the young people who think it's ok to throw stones at windows and the gang culture which is rife in this part of the city... which has led to a couple of stabbings within gangs during August.

I agree we should be worried about these issues too, but not necessarily more worried, I think all these issues need equal attention.

I always think the best way to deal with the 'jakeys' as you put it is to a) smile and say hello if they say it to you. b) don't stare c) if they ask for money, politely say no, sorry and keep walking. It's all about respect. And the people who live in Copland Court need it just as much as you do. Perhaps you would be more suited in the West End![/quote]

I've lived in the West End. I'm not sure what you're trying to say here though. Do you think if I lived in the WE I wouldn't have a project like this near me so would have nothing to worry/moan about?? I don't give respect out willy-nilly. People earn respect IMHO. The people who beg on the street and harass me are not giving me any, so why should I show them any? I don't have much of a problem with being asked for money, (and do on occasion give some if I have any) it happens on Byres road, it happens in the City Centre, it's not the area that's the problem. It's the frequency of the begging, and the aggressiveness of it. I work til 10pm 2 nights a week and my boyfriend comes and collects me in the car because I'm a bit apprehensive coming out the tube at that time of night, especially with the darker nights coming in.
lynnski
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:49 am

My sympathies lynski... i lived in copland place for 25 years untill the early 90s and passed by that building all the time, this area was starting to go downhill with junkies when my kids were young then which is why i moved pretty quicky to aviod them being brought up in that kind of drug culture,the place was never like it is now , i loved the big georgian terrace i stayed in and regreted selling to move to a new build which has 3rd of the space that i was used to :|.

You are quite right to be concerned what the authorities are doing to make life easier for the people that live around there.
We had the same problem with the (talbot centre) along @ the old kingston halls along the rd to where i stay just now, it used to be realy bad before their previous licence ran out with the alchaholics standing around drinking at prw & Mavisbank Quay, but when they re-aplied for Planning consent a few years ago our cummunity council insisted on rules and regs to be implemented before they gave persmission for the licence to be extended, i must say all the effort that was put in to putting this in place has worked for once! we do get a wee niggle here and there but the talbot staff make sure that they don't loiter in the streets.

What can i say but its the way of the world and society now, its become an half accepted fact of life that we will always have this disadvantage of a small part of disfunctional society on our doorstep whether we like it or not, but i do agree that the council should be hard on rules for these kind of establishments that affect the decent parts of society who pays their wages to make life easier for all.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Jeanette » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:48 pm

lynnski wrote:It's good to hear the workers will be keeping an eye, but I have to say, I've never seen any evidence of them being there, but have seen police cars outside the building on quite a few occasions.

Maybe you should try looking at the issue from a Joe Public point of view rather than a social worker one. I have every respect for your job, it's a difficult one and I wouldn't do it for all the money in the world!

I've seen the workers standing down at the gates, they're quite easy to spot.

Also, I most certainly look at it from a Joe Public point of view. I do live in the area. I don't like getting off the subway after 9pm, especially since it's getting dark. I feel uncomfortable walking past groups of teenagers, people who have been drinking, or rowdy football supporters. But it's life. We just have to get on with it. And unfortunately, the way society is will mean that there were always be people who are less fortunate than others and will deal with it in different ways to others.

Get on to your local MSP, MP, Councillor. Write to the association that runs Copland Court. Put letters through the doors of your neighbours to make sure that the door is shut properly. And even get the factor etc to check the door. My friend and myself recently found out that just by shoving his 'secure entry' door really hard you can get into his close, so although it may look secure, it isn't always.

:)
Jeanette
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby lynnski » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:17 pm

Cheers Mori and Jeanette!

Our secure entrance is a good old fashioned lock and key, so the best thing to do is just take 2 seconds to ensure the door is properly shut behind you. I think 1 or 2 neighbours don't bother but most are vigilant.

One thing I can't understand is why residents of this place stand about and drink in the street. Isn't the whole point of this place to give them a roof over their heads? Why don't they stay in their flats and drink with their mates?

I think the wheelchair ramp bothered me because it means this project is staying around, I'd kinda hoped it wouldn't last! So, looks like I'll have to get used to my new neighbours! :roll: Ah well, such is life.
lynnski
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Roxburgh » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:18 pm

lynnski wrote:Roxburgh, are you saying I have no right at all to be a bit apprehensive about this, or be fed up by the almost constant harrasment for money? Not at all? Wanna come spend a week here travelling to and from work??

Err ... which post of mine are you refering to here or are you just trying to pick a fight?
Roxburgh
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby lynnski » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:20 pm

Roxburgh wrote:
lynnski wrote:Roxburgh, are you saying I have no right at all to be a bit apprehensive about this, or be fed up by the almost constant harrasment for money? Not at all? Wanna come spend a week here travelling to and from work??

Err ... which post of mine are you refering to here or are you just trying to pick a fight?

Most of the responses you've given to my concerns have been in the 'so you don't want them in your backyard' vein, which I've said on more than one occasion isn't true. No fighting needed or wanted here!
lynnski
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby big/davie » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:30 pm

The lighting in the area could really also do with an upgrade like the new lighting on helen st and sheildhall rd,edminston dr and merrick gdns have all ready been done for nearly 2yrs,but never even used them which is quite strange,the junkies are rife round here,they used to congregate in and around the phone box on copland rd at 10.00am every morning,then along came the courier and handed out there £10 breakast,they would then soft shoe shuffle and speak in slow motion to their wee 1apt brown houses(junkie houses)until it was time to go shoplifting/housebreaking or begging.

Some of them are absolutely sights for sore eyes and look as if they need putting down or bit players in the next zombie movie,others shuffle about there business using side streets as cover,you get used to them but never feel safe when their around you,these flats used to be very very hard to get into regards getting a house,place was always spotless,the old caretaker always had it that way,no graffiti,no concierge and people felt safe.

Fast forward 20 odd years and now the whole place is a shite hole,neglected,run down and no one cares,the old biddies who lived here from when the houses were built in the 60's were so scared to go out they became recluses in there own homes through fear,the concierge aint worth a feck and the cctv system is an absolute disgrace,i can't stand the gha as in my oppinion they are the ones who who made the place like it is,by using the flats as a quick fix,through moving junkies,alkies,refugees and people released from prison into them,along with the polish,what was once a great place to live has now turned into a world of paranoia for me and other decent like minded people,apoliges for the rant :oops:
big/davie
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Roxburgh » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:41 pm

lynnski wrote:
Roxburgh wrote:

Most of the responses you've given to my concerns have been in the 'so you don't want them in your backyard' vein, which I've said on more than one occasion isn't true. No fighting needed or wanted here!

And which you have already responded to in previous posts .... so you are clearly just trying to pick a fight.
Roxburgh
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:58 pm

Please take all Bun fights outside :roll:
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)