Copland Court, Ibrox.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Copland Court, Ibrox.

Postby lynnski » Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:12 pm

Does anybody know what sort of use this building has? It's right next to the entrance of Ibrox Tube station. When I moved here about 18 months ago it seemed to be deserted, but there's been activity over past few months, such as people falling out of it pished at 8:30 in the morning, people fighting and drinking in the street, and lots of broken bucky bottles. I'm a bit apprehensive going past it on me own. :cry: I heard it was built as a 'luxury' flat block with secure parking but that didn't really work out!
lynnski
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Copland Court, Ibrox.

Postby Josef » Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:58 pm

The building was occupied up until a couple of years ago, then emptied for a while, but as you say it appears to have filled up again. The Loretto Housing Association, http://www.lorettoha.co.uk/uploads/Copland-Road-Service.pdf appear to have a connection. The pdf claims it was to shut in January 08, but perhaps not.

It's quite a nice-looking building, from the outside at least. It's always looked pretty quiet to me, but then I don't pass it every morning.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby viceroy » Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:31 pm

I posted up a picture of this building at the tailend of last year along with a few notes about its history. See here.

I walk past it several times a week, usually at teatime, and can only concur with what Lynnski says.
viceroy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cell » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:05 pm

According to the Loretto Housing Association link, there are a Project manager, 2 Team Leaders, 9 Support Workers, 9 Support Assistants and a 0.25 Housing Administrators ( 21.25 employees) employed to look after 14 people who “are unwilling or unable to engage with services on a planned or consistent basis and have expressed a view that they will continue to drink alcohol “

Is it just me or do you think that there might be some slightly more deserving cases that are in need of this level of resources?
cell
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Reenie Bujman » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:56 pm

lynnski wrote:...there's been activity over past few months, such as people falling out of it pished at 8:30 in the morning, people fighting and drinking in the street, and lots of broken bucky bottles. I'm a bit apprehensive going past it on me own. :cry: I heard it was built as a 'luxury' flat block with secure parking but that didn't really work out!

Years ago when I was at boarding school, we had a colleague who was neglecting his hygiene. His room was rancid and the putrid aroma was percolating into the neighbouring rooms.

Several of my year group approached me as I was considered the most imaginative and always ready to get into trouble for the sake of a laugh.

"It's awful, Reenie, can't you do something about it?"

I ended up with the entire year group encamped in my study and the cramped conditions were enough to decide me to take action.

I had in my possession at that time, a lump of sulphur, donated by one of the teaching staff in the Chemistry Department. It was no bigger than a gooseberry. I waited until the unwashed one was out for the evening and let myself into his room, placed the sulphur on the window sill, lit it and retired to my own room.

Ten minutes later, I had the Gestapo at the door.

I had succeeded in fumigating an entire wing of the building, roughly about the size of Copland Court, judging by the photo in the link above.

So if you want to make life uncomfortable for your anti-social neighbours, you know what to do. :D
Reenie Bujman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:02 pm

That's the biggest tangerine i have seen on here in a long while.
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby lynnski » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:52 pm

Heh heh, cheers Reenie! *rubs hand together* Exceeeeeeleeeeeeent....

My main worry is that I will get caught up in some sort of disagreement between a few of these residents as I try and walk past one evening, or indeed morning! It's not an issue right now but the schools are back soon, and a lot of young 'uns use the station, and I worry about them too, the sights they see are not for young eyes. :(

So, it is some sort of 'halfway house' or something? I don't know the exact term for it. Supported housing? Which, I have to say, I am in favour of, but I feel this location is not suitable, mostly because of the school issue, and of course my fears!! :D There are some areas very near by that I feel would be more suitable, as they are not right next door to a highly residential area, mind you, they'd all be a bit too near the BBC building, can't have jakeys floating around near all the TV types, can we now!! ::): Can I just say before anyone accuses me of NIMBYism, when I say very near, I do mean very near.

The amount of broken glass on the pavement is just unbelievable, and the number of times I've had to phone the Police because of people trying to kick my close door in, or getting in somehow and chapping on doors/shouting through letterboxes, pissing on my close doorstep...and that's just the Rangers fans! ::): No, seriously, I'm fed up. :evil:
lynnski
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:49 am

Pacific Quay isn't the only place you'll find transvestites.
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby lynnski » Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:59 pm

Eh whit? Where have transvestites been mentioned?
lynnski
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby busdriver » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:03 pm

Funny thing is, I pass this building everyday to and from work and yes there they are hanging around outside and yes they do present a somewhat disturbing aspect, but I have never been accosted by any of them or even felt intimidated by the sight of them. They are there simply because they have nowhere else to go there families have abandoned them the society the live in would rather they did not exist. Yet here they are living out there lives in the full realisation that there is and will be nothing else for them to look forward to except an empty, meaningless and shortened life. Where I work now (A nearby Football Stadium) I had a similiar discussion with some of the young ladies in our office who also had fears about this place and its residents, and all said more or less that they were frightened to pass by them when going to or from work, I asked if they had been accosted or even approached by any and the answer was always no, so where was this sense of fear coming from ?. In our culture there is a tendency to treat that which is different as something to be wary of or even to be scared of, yet I have learned from past experience that if you disregard the "difference" and just see the the human being that lies behind, then these fears become largely unfounded.

When my relationship broke up and I lost one job after another, I could easily have ended up in the same situation were it not for the tremendous support from my extended family and support workers from other agencies. I would not have a roof over my head now or a job to pay for it.
Reguloj por la gvidado de sagxuloj kaj blinda obeemo de malsagxuloj.
busdriver
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby lynnski » Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:11 pm

Well you've obviously never been called a cow for refusing to give one of them money then! ::): And yes, that has only been one incident, in the space of 3? 4? months? But still, I do not feel the (as I said before, much needed service this place provides) is in an entirely suitable location. I see your points there busdriver, and agree with some. This particular member of society would rather people like these 'did not exist' as I would rather a world without addiction and violence, I have familial experience of alcoholism, and I would rather have my uncle the way he used to be. I would take issue with this:

"Yet here they are living out there lives in the full realisation that there is and will be nothing else for them to look forward to except an empty, meaningless and shortened life",

as Josef has pointed out, this service is there for people who "are unwilling or unable to engage with services on a planned or consistent basis and have expressed a view that they will continue to drink alcohol “.

I'm emphasising the 'unwilling' part here. The people in Copland Court, if you simplify it all down, are in a supported service housing project because they refuse to try and tackle their problems. My uncle has been in hospital drying out on at least 4 occasions, (and much as I love him I feel a bit annoyed as I feel he's wasting valuable NHS resources), he's had his kids taken off him on 2 occasions now, all in all he does try and lead as normal a life as possible, but in the end he keeps fucking up. The people in Copland Court, it seems, don't even want to try.

Busdriver, I lost a job and spent a long time suffering from depression, and was hovering on the verge of alcoholism. I also had support from friends and family, but you and I are lucky, some folks don't have any.
lynnski
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Roxburgh » Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:04 pm

lynnski wrote: But still, I do not feel the (as I said before, much needed service this place provides) is in an entirely suitable location.

So whose backyard do you want to put them in?
Roxburgh
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby lynnski » Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:15 pm

I've said it once, I'll say it again so the hard of thinking can follow me. I am not a NIMBY. This place is, IMHO, too near a school, and slap bang in a busy residential area. It could be moved a few streets away to an area that is mostly business/industrial, about 5 minutes walk away.
lynnski
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cell » Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:18 pm

How about in the backyard of whoever agreed to fund it and thought it was a wise move to concentrate all this individuals in one location?
cell
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Roxburgh » Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:52 pm

lynnski wrote:I've said it once, I'll say it again so the hard of thinking can follow me. I am not a NIMBY. This place is, IMHO, too near a school, and slap bang in a busy residential area. It could be moved a few streets away to an area that is mostly business/industrial, about 5 minutes walk away.

Ah right .... keep'em away from your backyard and that of others. Out of sight is out of mind eh?
Roxburgh
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)