Clydebank Past & Present.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Clydebank Past & Present.

Postby moonbeam » Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:51 pm

Stenlake have a new book out. Old country houses of Dunbartonshire. A lot of pictures of some of the Clydebank and district
big houses. Some destroyed in the blitz are featured.
moonbeam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Scotty100 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:51 am

moonbeam wrote:Stenlake have a new book out. Old country houses of Dunbartonshire. A lot of pictures of some of the Clydebank and district
big houses. Some destroyed in the blitz are featured.

Where can I get a copy?
Scotty100
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:43 am

I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:01 pm

Bumping this as it fell back onto page two, Mr. Quinn's collection is too good to miss.

HollowHorn wrote:
HollowHorn wrote:An excellent site showing photographs of Clydebank / Whitecrook during the late '70's / early '80's:
http://www.myclydebankphotos.co.uk/index.htm

Further to the above, a couple of 'Guest Photo' sections have been added to the site, Tommy Quinn's set is a major find:
http://www.myclydebankphotos.co.uk/page43.htm
Yes Bridie, you do.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:07 pm

my kinda town. :D born and bred in whitecrook.still live there as do my mother,sister,three brothers and their families.owen mcguigan who runs that site lives near me.smashing fellow.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby robertpool » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:19 am

banjo wrote:my kinda town. :D born and bred in whitecrook.still live there as do my mother,sister,three brothers and their families.owen mcguigan who runs that site lives near me.smashing fellow.

can't agree more, he dropped off a CD full of photos to me a couple of years ago. My 'other half' family all come from Whitecrook (Kennedy)
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby robertpool » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:37 am

An Aerial shot l purchased a few years ago showing the shipyards and the old race track in Whitecrook where the flats now stand

Clydebank Aerial View by Robert Pool's Glasgow Collection, on Flickr
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby yoker brian » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:41 am

robertpool wrote:An Aerial shot l purchased a few years ago showing the shipyards and the old race track in Whitecrook where the flats now stand

Clydebank Aerial View by Robert Pool's Glasgow Collection, on Flickr

It also shows part of the Yoker Distillary buildings.

Do you have a date for the photograph Robert?
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby robertpool » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:05 am

sorry no date. If anyone wants a hi-res copy email me at [email protected] and l will reply with a link to my 'Skydive' and you can download it. Size is 49.3mb
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby moonbeam » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:33 pm

Suggest 1920s as Brown's yard would have evidence of one of the two Queens being built. Shows Simon/Lobnitz yard
on Renfrew side. Which was originally further down river?
moonbeam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby robertpool » Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:19 am

I'm not saying it is a ship but when you zoom right in it looks like the shape of a ship (same shape as the Queen Mary minus the 3 funnels) at John Brown's Shipyard. I have also been told (by my brother) that the race track was the original football park of Clydebank Juniors FC . Having zoomed in on the photo l can definitely say that there is two goal posts. Across the road is Holm Park, the home ground of Yoker Athletic FC
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby peasy23 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:49 pm

robertpool wrote:I'm not saying it is a ship but when you zoom right in it looks like the shape of a ship (same shape as the Queen Mary minus the 3 funnels) at John Brown's Shipyard. I have also been told (by my brother) that the race track was the original football park of Clydebank Juniors FC . Having zoomed in on the photo l can definitely say that there is two goal posts. Across the road is Holm Park, the home ground of Yoker Athletic FC

Quite easy to get confused by the various Clydebank FC's over the years. I take it the park you can see is Clydeholm Park, which wasn't anything to do with the Junior side, but was in fact home to the senior side Clydebank FC which existed from 1914 til 1931-32. The stadium was used as a greyhound track after the football club went defunct and AFAIK still operated until the 60s before it was closed for the flats and shops to be built.

The original Clydebank Juniors (1899-1964) originally played in Duntocher as Duntocher FC before changing their name when they moved to Clydebank in 1900 to play at Kilbowie Park, before moving to "New" Kilbowie in 1939. They then merged with East Stirling to form ES Clydebank and joined the senior ranks.
peasy23
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby robertpool » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:44 am

Sorry, it was my mistake, l was told it was Clydebank FC (seniors) and l said it was Clydebank Juniors. Both Yoker FC Holm Park and Clydebank FC Clydeholm parks are clearly visible.
Last edited by robertpool on Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby peasy23 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:52 pm

There's a picture of Clydeholm on this Clydebank site http://www.clydebankprogrammesonline.co.uk/Original%20Clydebank%2014-31.html.
peasy23
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:45 am

Programme on BBC Alba last night on Clydebank (and Kelso) in the 70s. Might be on iPlayer.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)