Glasgow Central Station

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby purplegrum » Mon Jun 07, 2004 4:34 pm

Pgcc93 wrote:Nice pics Crusty. It's like a sea of glass up there.

I think it's one of Europe's largest glass roofs covering about 27, 5000 sq metres. There's a board (or at least was) in the station saying how many panes of glass it had but I can't remember off hand.
purplegrum
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby duncan » Mon Jun 07, 2004 4:41 pm

ianmcmillan wrote:There's a rarity in that picture - bins in railway stations! There haven't been any at Central in a long time, and they quickly disappeared or were taped up from all other stations on 12/09/2001 funnily enough...

another pet hate - the lack of bins in stations. great, no terrorists will be placing bombs in bins, but for anyone who actually has some litter to get rid of, there's not a lot of options.

although in Central you can drive your ammonium-nitrate laden van right up to next to the top-level platforms...

maybe they could make it like the lockers - have a permanent member of staff to look after one big bin, and search through any litter before you're allowed to put it in.
duncan
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby purplegrum » Mon Jun 07, 2004 4:43 pm

There's always the wee guys there that walk about sweeping up the rubbish but yeah it can be a right pain in the backside at times... all us good folks feel bad just chucking litter on the floor!
purplegrum
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby shuttle534 » Mon Jun 07, 2004 4:59 pm

the caption reads "Glasgow Central on fair Saturday 1891"

Caption: "Glasgow tram 1022 near Central Station on route 29 Photographed on 1953-03-22"

Caption:Glasgow tram 1094 near Central Station Photographed on
1953-03-22"
shuttle534
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby martin » Mon Jun 07, 2004 7:43 pm

ianmcmillan wrote:There's a rarity in that picture - bins in railway stations! There haven't been any at Central in a long time, and they quickly disappeared or were taped up from all other stations on 12/09/2001 funnily enough...

The wee orange bins in the underground only seem to have disappeared recently..
martin
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Bex Bissell » Thu Jun 17, 2004 11:52 am

Oh, the humanity!
Bex Bissell
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DMcNay » Thu Jun 17, 2004 11:57 am

Excellent picture bex, populated as it is by the cast from "Gregory's Girl"...
Too few hours in the day.
DMcNay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bex Bissell » Thu Jun 17, 2004 1:41 pm

Central Station, yesteryear.
What with all these current campaigns to try and ban smokers from even lighting up in their own potting sheds and have them banished off to the new world, there seemed to be a more relaxed attitude way back when it came to tobacco and alcohol.
Shops and kiosks like "The Smokers Requisites" have now been replaced by shops like "Holland and Barrett" oh how times change, but like everything else, what goes round comes round, so start thinking about sinking your hard earned into British American, it'll soon be all the rage again, especially if they tap into the Chinese market, us in the west might be giving up in records numbers but way out east they're crying out for an Embassy coupon style catalogue. ::):
Not a wino or mass horde of moshers in site.
Oh, the humanity!
Bex Bissell
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby duncan » Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:43 pm

Bex Bissell wrote:Image

i love the signage on the shopfront. i'm also very impressed by the massive Gin advert above it
duncan
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bex Bissell » Fri Jun 18, 2004 1:12 pm

Duncan, I'm with you on that.
Theres something about this photo that gives the impression that the fags and alcohol were a positive and luxurious addition to life, but I suppose that was the way they were promoted and in some ways still are, we weren't supposed to think about the long term damage of heavy comsumption of both products.
More as they are enhancing our lifestyle, especially so in this photo as the majority of people who would have seen these things whilst going about the daily business would have been confronted by the daily grime of smog and poor housing, the fag shop looks positively enticing and an escape into somewhere seen in the movies.
I'd love to have seen this in full technicolour.
Any members good with touching up photo's, Sharon, I've seen some of your picture wizardry.
The dark stained wood in contrast with the bright stainless steal (centre of picture) and the gruby burgandy rail carrage.
I reckon that the Booths sign would have been neon.
Dear oh dear I have gone of on one.
Oh, the humanity!
Bex Bissell
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Some older pics

Postby gap74 » Sun Jun 20, 2004 1:29 am

OK, here's some pics I scanned today from a wee book called Glasgow Stations, by Colin Johnston and John R Hume. It was published in 1979, and is a little mine of info on the main stations in the city. Hope you all enjoy...

Bridge St Station as it looked after the 1885 rebuild.

The construction of the first Central Station viaduct, circa 1876.

Construction of the undercrofts of Central Station, 1877.

More undercroft construction. The street crossing the picture is Midland Street, where the original entrance to The Arches is now.

Construction of Low Level, about 1895. The roof and girderwork sill looks much the same in places where the ugly yellow cladding isn't hiding it today!

Central Hotel under construction, 1880.

The new viaduct under construction, in 1901. The book offers no help on the date of removal of the original viaduct. reiterating only that it was in poor condition and rendered superfluous by the 1961 signal work.

One of a couple of sneaky wee images of Buchanan St Station. This facade dates from 1932, although the pic looks to be about 60s, since Buchanan House is being built in the background, and the cars are all of that era too.

Buchanan St Station interior, about 1960.

Gary
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cumbo » Sun Jun 20, 2004 2:17 pm

Gap Fantastic photos,nice research.Was Buchanan Street station latter to become Queen street Station?I am trying to work out it's location and not having any joy with maps
Going back to Central topic,Any idea what the large building right hand side going into Central Station,before the bridge was.It has blocked up doors at track side height ?
cumbo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby james73 » Mon Jun 21, 2004 11:27 am

cumbo wrote:Gap Fantastic photos,nice research.Was Buchanan Street station latter to become Queen street Station?I am trying to work out it's location and not having any joy with maps

Good lord no! It was up the hill from Queen St station, on the site of what
is now the Caledonian University. The actual location of the station building
is now the junction of Port Dundas Road and Cowcaddens Road (east section).

Have a look at this. http://www.hiddenglasgow.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=134&highlight=buchanan+street

cumbo wrote:Going back to Central topic,Any idea what the large building right hand side going into Central Station,before the bridge was.It has blocked up doors at track side height ?

Bridge Street Station. It was the original terminus of the line until they built
Central Station on the north side of the Clyde. It also had a splendid Gothic
entrance structure, which in keeping with the rest of the city, was demolished
for no good reason, despite pressure groups resistence. :roll:

James H
He's over there...
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby AMcD » Mon Jun 21, 2004 11:40 am

I think you can still see Buchannan Street station in this aerial photo..
http://img38.photobucket.com/albums/v118/copperblueuk/hiddenglasgow/glasgow3.jpg
Allan
AMcD
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby james73 » Mon Jun 21, 2004 12:51 pm

amcd wrote:I think you can still see Buchannan Street station in this aerial photo..
http://img38.photobucket.com/albums/v118/copperblueuk/hiddenglasgow/glasgow3.jpg

No - it's already been demolished in that picture. You can see that the
Caledonian University building has already been built, as has Scotrail
House. The diagonal white scorch mark next to Scotrail House is where
the station was. The dark building with the pitched roof to the immediate
South of the (George Moore) University building was part of the Buchanan
Street goods station.

James H
He's over there...
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext