Glasgow Central Station

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Speedbird » Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:10 am

Really interesting pictures, thanks!

I am just finishing a course at the Glasgow College of Building and Printing, which it the tall building right next to Queen street and can be seen in the first picture of the site of Buchannan street station.

How the area has changed!!

I also found the aerial picture fascinating as you can see, not only where St Enoch station and its approaches were (bottom middle), but also the Kingston Bridge being built (bottom left hand corner. It is not even a true bridge yet!)
GCBP is the tall building beside Queen Street casting a shadow to the north. It has partly a white roof, and that is, or certainly is now, the TV department.

That is a great building for getting good views over the city, particularly the south side, because it is one of the tallest buildings around.
On really clear days you can see for miles and miles.
One can only see North and South though unless access to the roof can be gained, which is a bit unfortunate.
I can always rely on this forum to make myself feel about 10 times worse than I did before
Speedbird
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Pgcc93 » Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:05 pm

A colour pic of Glasgow Central from 1964.

Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alchemist » Sun Mar 20, 2005 2:41 am

Advertising the drink and the cure :P
Alchemist
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Pgcc93 » Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:03 am

looking towards the Union Street exit

Anyone remember the main newsagents stall in the middle of the concourse I think it was demolished in 1984?

This still exists today as the Upper Crust sandwich bar formerly the Travellers Fare Quick Snacks stall!
I like the ornate Caledonian Railway platform markers. Todays Central Station is a wannabe shopping mall with a station attached :?
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby paladin » Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:40 am

Pgcc93 wrote: Todays Central Station is a wannabe shopping mall with a station attached :?

Not as bad as some other stations, especially south of the border. At least with the 'shopping mall' concept there is a more protective environment to arrive/depart from than a desolate area with naff all to do.

It doesn't cost anything to look............yet. 8)
paladin
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Pgcc93 » Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:24 pm

paladin wrote:It doesn't cost anything to look............yet. 8)

Ah! the W H Smiths Magazine Library and it always has the latest publications! Buy? are you mad? ::):

Top Tip: Before perusing, hold the magazine by it's spine and give it a good shake to remove all that Britannia Music Club, Credit Card shite etc! And don't let a cellophane wrapped mag deter your browsing experience either just get tore in! 8)
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby paladin » Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:29 pm

Pgcc93 wrote:Top Tip: Before perusing, hold the magazine by it's spine and give it a good shake to remove all that Britannia Music Club, Credit Card shite etc! And don't let a cellophane wrapped mag deter your browsing experience either just get tore in! 8)

Not forgetting..........that should any 'freebies' from the said magazine happen to drop into your possession, that nine tenths of the law is in your favour.........no purchase neccessary. :wink:
paladin
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Pgcc93 » Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:40 pm

311 110 just arrived @ platform 13 from Gourock while an Ayr bound DMU gets ready to depart from platform 12 in 1979.

Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Schiehallion » Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:03 am

I know it doesn't quite cover what you were looking for Glasgowken as far as the Argyle St bridge is concerned but here's a stunning picture of Glasgow Central and the hotel being built.

Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:15 am

Nice pic Schiehallion, i always find it fascinating - the old Construction topics. I have got some original old photos that were given to me of the Hydro Electric Schemes and a Railway Viaduct getting built after the war.

I'll post them in the around UK threads.

I think there is a good chance of getting the photo's that Glasgowken is after in the Mitchell or the Newspaper Archive's.

What's the official timescale before copyright expires if not renewed ...50 years.....anyone?
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:31 am

glasgowken wrote:I've seen many photos of Argyle St taken from Central Station bridge (tunnel ?) when it was still an open structure, but only one or two very distant views actually showing the bridge itself, does anyone have some closer pics ? And any pics of the later construction to enclose it ?

This was on the Approach To Glasgow Central Station 1960 thread:

c.1880 (Miller St on the right, Debenhams on the left)

gap74 wrote:Image
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby glasgowken » Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:58 am

Well that's one of the couple or so photos I was referring to :roll: (sorry :wink: ) There's also one or two more in books I have, but nothing close up, or during construction.

Funny enough that photo above is labeled on a 2005 Glasgow calender I have as "Dumbarton Road" ::):
What a mistake to make, I guess the bridge convinced them.
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby McShad » Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:18 am

crusty_bint wrote:This was on the Approach To Glasgow Central Station 1960 thread:

c.1880 (Miller St on the right, Debenhams on the left)

That can't be right.... Miller Street to the right? I think thats further back with Candleriggs on the right. The buildings look more of the same and I'd say the scale of the distantance with the bridge is better
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:32 am

It's definitely Miller St to the right, you can actually count the city blocks to the viaduct, also the Union Hotel (to the left, you can just make out the "TEL") stood at the corner of Dunlop St with the flagpoles just a bit further west of it belonging to John Anderson's Royal Polytechnic - a famous Victorian department store. On the north side of the pic you can just make out a couple of buildings which still survive in the Argyle St stretch between Queen and Buchannan Streets, namely the white one which is/was Clarks and the one directly west of it which would become one of the Cranston Tea Rooms in later years.
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Simba » Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:38 am

Socceroo wrote:What's the official timescale before copyright expires if not renewed ...50 years.....anyone?

70 years after the death of the person who owned the copyright (i.e. the person who took the photograph).
Simba
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)