Shettleston Halls on fire

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Shettleston Halls on fire

Postby Socceroo » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:09 pm

crusty_bint wrote:Thats the fellur, all gone now though. Quite austere from the outside but nicely detailed and proportioned. The inside was where it was at though. Was no reason it couldn't have become a pub or something

I think the facade is being retained into the new development, but i could be wrong.
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:32 pm

Aye, according to John Gilbert Architects website the facade is being incorporated into the new Development.
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:18 pm

Hard to believe in these 'enlightened' times that yon wee building would be demolished. Is there no-one up at Alex's hoose charged with looking after Glasgow's architectural heritage?
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Rucola » Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:13 pm

I find it more plausible that there is someone, or a whole team of someones, charged with destroying as much of it as possible.

I've only ever been to Shettleston once, but I remember noticing the similarity between that building and the bigger former TSB building in Glassford Street that Jigsaw or something now occupies. Imagine if anyone proposed demolishing that ...
Rucola
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:46 pm

ok, so I went and checked for myself ... :roll:

The old TSB facade is still standing, if a little precariously, so it looks like you were right Socceroo. The leaded, stained and cut glass windows have been smashed for scaffolding but at least it's something. Another something is that it looks as though there is an attempt being made to retain the facade of Shettleston Halls. The rear, and vast majority of the building, has been demolished, but it looked as though it had been done quite cleanly.

Fingers crossed they don't just decide to go the whole hog.
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby dave2 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:04 pm

Was past today and they seem to have made a good job of keeping the facade onto the road. is this going to be attached to whatever they build on the site? The builders/demolition team seemed to have leveled the ground behind it, so any new build seems to be a while away yet, lets hope that the facade lasts that long.
dave2
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:41 pm

Socceroo wrote:Image

Socceroo wrote:Image
Aye, according to John Gilbert Architects website the facade is being incorporated into the new Development.

Don't know what happened, though I could hazard a guess, but the façade is now gone and the second phase of those flats is rising from where it once was.
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Previous

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)