Buses Today

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Buses Today

Postby onyirtodd » Sat May 24, 2008 3:23 pm

lynnski wrote:But Onny, don't you have your free travel pass yet??

::): ::):

Thanks lynnski but I think you're confusing me with another grey heided auld baistird.
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:41 am

ET

Sort it out or hit the road

BUS operators are to be forced to bring services up to scratch or get banned from the busiest routes as council bosses consider introducing new rules in return for paying for a range of improvements.

The move is aimed at getting more people on to public transport in a bid to cut congestion and improve air quality. Firms which refuse to sign up to the new code would be banned from operating on the busiest roads in the city.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:52 am

ET

A FLEET of skinny buses is about to take to the streets of Glasgow.
The 20 vehicles costing £1.7million are the first of their kind in the UK.
Because they are narrower than standard buses they will be able to provide transport for people living in narrow streets clogged with parked cars.
But as well as operating as part of the Dial-A-Bus scheme, they can also be quickly converted by the driver to operate as standard buses on normal bus routes or for groups of disabled people.

The buses look like they have 'shrunk in wash'
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:37 am

Mori wrote:ET

A FLEET of skinny buses is about to take to the streets of Glasgow.
The 20 vehicles costing £1.7million are the first of their kind in the UK.
Because they are narrower than standard buses they will be able to provide transport for people living in narrow streets clogged with parked cars.
But as well as operating as part of the Dial-A-Bus scheme, they can also be quickly converted by the driver to operate as standard buses on normal bus routes or for groups of disabled people.

The buses look like they have 'shrunk in wash'

Wouldn't it have been easier and cheaper just to tackle the problem of narrow streets clogged with parked cars so ambulances and fire engines could access the people and premises on these streets?
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:37 pm

Put the car in for its M.O.T this morning, the garage said to come back after lunch time,so i decides to get a bus in to the city centre, only had a £20 quid note.... goes in to a petrol staion to buy a mars bar " sorry nae change " sez the wee wumin behind the counter, :roll: spotted a Liddlels store further along the road which was empty with one old age pensioner strugling to hold herself up reaching for a wee broon loaf on the top shelf ... i decides to buy a can of bru to get change... nae change mate sez the wee guy behind the cAsh desk :roll: "a big place like this wi nae change" i sez and walked out in disgust. :|

I decided to take a chance and see if could buy a dayticket on the bus as i seen a 54 coming up the road, low and behold as i ran towards the bustop and managed to get there as the bus drew up, as i got out my £20 quid note the driver just shook his head and said "nae change mate" :|.

I ended up going back to the M.O.T garage and sitting in their wee wiating room for the rest of the morning reading the last 3 months M.O.T today. :(

So the moral of the story is never leave home without £ coins/ loose change as you will never get anywhere unless you have a Zonecard. :|

My car failed its M.O.T as well. :|

Why is life so tough??!! :|
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby lynnski » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:30 am

At least you would have got change on the Subway, all the loose change in the world!!!!

How bad was the MOT fail? Easy to fix?
lynnski
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:29 pm

lynnski wrote:How bad was the MOT fail? Easy to fix?

Couple of rod end bushes for my front wheels, the car is now M.O.T'd and taxed for another year am glad to say :D .

Thanks for the tip for the subway i'll remember that in future :wink: , pity there isnt a link to the east end though :|
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby lynnski » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:10 pm

Mori wrote:
lynnski wrote:How bad was the MOT fail? Easy to fix?

Couple of rod end bushes for my front wheels, the car is now M.O.T'd and taxed for another year am glad to say :D .

Thanks for the tip for the subway i'll remember that in future :wink: , pity there isnt a link to the east end though :|

Well, if the planned extension goes ahead, there will be one in time for the Games! :D
lynnski
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:55 pm

Evening Times

'Lying' bus boss is driven off the road

FOUR bus companies run by the same man have been banned because vehicles were not safe and passengers were left stranded.
Owner John Walker was also banned for 10 years and his firms fined £42,000.
Joan Aitken, the Traffic Commissioner For Scotland, branded bus boss John Walker a "liar" who failed to adhere to timetables and ignored legal guidelines.
Investigators found one of his fleets in Renfrewshire to be unroadworthy.
Licences for Barrhead Bus Company, First Stop Travel, Local Bus Company and Gullivers Travel have been revoked, while an application to run services under the Flying Scotsman name has been rejected.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby samscafeamericain » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:01 pm

Skinny buses just as people get fatter, who planned that? 8)
'once you can get men to believe in absurdities you can get them to commit atrocities' ....Voltaire
samscafeamericain
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Mori » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:12 pm

Tiomes

Dozy driver tries bus pass on shut road

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lone Groover » Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:36 pm

I've been taking the bus too and from work for a few months now. Generally ok - except those bloody number 9 buses that bend in the middle- how they think these things are acceptable is beyond me - I avoid them whenever i can - expecially the back part - the way they ground out on the 'suspension' is terrible - and painfull - I now have an aching back that weren't there before -
"Work hard, Rock Hard, Eat hard, Sleep hard, Grow big, Wear glasses if you need 'em"
Flickr photos - If you can stand them !
www.flickr.com/photos/davetrott/
Lone Groover
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:22 pm

BBC

Tourist bus highlights heritage

A tourist bus is operating through one of Glasgow's most deprived areas to highlight the area's heritage.
The Easterhouse tour takes in the 15th century Provanhall House, the B-listed Blairtummock House, the Bridge Arts Centre and St Benedict's Church.
It is part of the Doors Open Days season during September, which is promoted by the Scottish Civic Trust.
Other sites open across the country include a zero-carbon house, a porridge mill and BBC Scotland's headquarters.
Easterhouse is built on land granted to the bishops of Glasgow in the 12th Century.
The site of the Archbishop of Glasgow's country residence, believed to date back to the 13th century but destroyed during the Reformation, was recently uncovered.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Peetabix » Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:04 pm

That bus passed me today on Auchinlea Road.

Here's a wee pic from the number 67 McKindless bus.

Peetabix
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby retired tiger » Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:24 pm

M18 dial a bus seen going up Gardner Street, Partick today 8O
Now is this brave, daft, or what?
retired tiger
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)