Buses Today

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Buses Today

Postby mjw » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:11 pm

Fat Cat wrote:Why are First Bus pretending they are offering massive savings. I normally buy the First Bus 10 week ticket and have never paid £124. It was £85 so the price has actually increased. Perhaps Advertising Standards need to have a word with them.

http://www.firstgroup.com/ukbus/glasgow ... firstweek/

I think they've just reduced the paypoint prices to match the usual ones you can get at the bus station and other authorised places, when using Paypoint they used to slap an extra twenty quid or so onto it, presumably it was Paypoint's fee.
mjw
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Fat Cat » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:46 pm

mjw wrote:
Fat Cat wrote:Why are First Bus pretending they are offering massive savings. I normally buy the First Bus 10 week ticket and have never paid £124. It was £85 so the price has actually increased. Perhaps Advertising Standards need to have a word with them.

http://www.firstgroup.com/ukbus/glasgow ... firstweek/

I think they've just reduced the paypoint prices to match the usual ones you can get at the bus station and other authorised places, when using Paypoint they used to slap an extra twenty quid or so onto it, presumably it was Paypoint's fee.

That is shocking 8O
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scott125 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:10 pm

Anyone know when the bus services start on the 2nd of Jan?
scott125
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby yoker brian » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:52 pm

Depends what operator - all list special festive timetables on their respective websites

www.stagecoach.com

Www.firstglasgow.com

Www.mcgillsbuses.co.uk
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Boxer6 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:14 pm

Josef wrote:Really? Less than £450 quid p.a. to insure two cars?

Not that I'm for a second doubting you, just surprised.

No. But calculating it on the figure given of £85, which I presumed to be monthly, gives somewhere in excess of one thousand pounds, which is almost double the cost of insuring my 2 cars.

Plus, I'm old, which helps immensely! :)
Some people hear voices.. Some see invisible people.. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Boxer6
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scaryman2u » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:49 am

I got on a bus today and travelled less than half a mile for £1.85, jeezo I can do that 3 times return on petrol !
scaryman2u
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:57 pm

scaryman2u wrote:I got on a bus today and travelled less than half a mile for £1.85, jeezo I can do that 3 times return on petrol !

It costs me fuck all when I walk a half mile. Of course Blue Badgers save in other ways.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby SomeRandomBint » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:52 pm

It's not just petrol costs though, is it? It's all the associated costs - tax, insurance, repairs, parking etc etc. When I was living out in the East End, I would drive to a bus stop and take a bus into work. £14 a week bus pass vs £5 per day parking is a no brainer. And when faced with a £60 a quarter parking permit charge when we moved into the city, getting rid of the car was the first thing we did. We just don't need it. I pay £61 for a 4 week Zone Card that takes me to work every day, and out to the East End twice a week, plus lets me nip around town if I need to bring home shopping. I could technically get away with just the bus pass, but I like commuting by underground because a) it's quicker, b) it's more reliable than the buses, and c)I just like shoogling rather than being stuck on a stinkin' bus.

The thing that gets me with First Buses is the way they've split the bus services after 7pm. I get a 42 home from Carntyne twice a week usually, which only goes as far as West Nile Street. If I were going beyond that (which I would if it ran that far, tho only a couple of stops) I'd have to get off, and wait for the second half of the service which goes from West Nile Street to Drumchapel. This means anyone going from, say, Cathedral Street along towards Kelvingrove would have to pay two lots of fare, an extra £1.85! Add to that the fact that, usually when I'm on the bus home, the second bus is leaving as the previous one arrives, which means a half hour wait or longer. It's mental.

BTW, I think the £85 ticket is for 10 weeks. The four week ticket is about £38 I think. And it's actually cheaper to buy them from a Pay Point agent - I think the idea is to encourage people to buy them elsewhere rather than hold up the bus whilst the driver rummages for one of those little sticky wallet things they have to be in.
"-What was all that then? - What? - THAT. - That was Glasgow"
SomeRandomBint
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby InkMan » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:55 pm

Does anyone else find accessing information on the FirstBus website frustrating? I'm not a technophobe but it seems to be incredibly user unfriendly.

Shuggy
Cleggy you snickering floppy eared hound when courage is needed, you're ne'er around.
Those medals you wear on your moth-eaten chest should be there for bungling at which you are best.
InkMan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:15 pm

InkMan wrote:Does anyone else find accessing information on the FirstBus website frustrating? I'm not a technophobe but it seems to be incredibly user unfriendly.

Shuggy

You'd almost think they do it on purpose :wink:
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tobester » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:34 pm

The Egg Man wrote:
InkMan wrote:Does anyone else find accessing information on the FirstBus website frustrating? I'm not a technophobe but it seems to be incredibly user unfriendly.

Shuggy

::): no comment
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fat Cat » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:48 pm

tobester wrote:
The Egg Man wrote:

Shuggy

surely not :roll:
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tobester » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:54 pm

Fat Cat wrote:
tobester wrote:
The Egg Man wrote:

Shuggy

surely not :roll:

not allowed to ::):
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scaryman2u » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:09 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:
scaryman2u wrote:I got on a bus today and travelled less than half a mile for £1.85, jeezo I can do that 3 times return on petrol !

It costs me fuck all when I walk a half mile. Of course Blue Badgers save in other ways.

I usually walk it, but the bus came just as I was passing the bus-stop so thought i`d jump on to save a walk, apparently I could have went to the city centre for not much more than what I paid, I was just highlighting how dear it was for such a short journey when we are being encouraged to use the bus.
Dex, you stick to your blue badge facilitated parking, infact why don`t you just use your pensioners pass and save some grief, I will help you on and off the bus you old codger.
scaryman2u
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:08 am

I usually walk it, but the bus came just as I was passing the bus-stop so thought i`d jump on to save a walk, apparently I could have went to the city centre for not much more than what I paid, I was just highlighting how dear it was for such a short journey when we are being encouraged to use the bus.

Naw it sounds even more pathetic now.

http://walkit.com/cities/glasgow/
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)