Buses Today

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Buses Today

Postby SomeRandomBint » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:31 am

Unless he uses the extra cash to give his mates a free ride into town!

Or his missus works in the cash office?

I guess we'll never know!
"-What was all that then? - What? - THAT. - That was Glasgow"
SomeRandomBint
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Josef » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:45 am

It's presented as an efficiency thing. The driver doesn't have to spend any time working out/handing over change, so you get to your destination quicker.

Which, actually, is largely true. With a number of exceptions.

not least that unwary tourists get fleeced (but there again, plus ca change I suppose) and drunken bams argue with the driver for ages once it gets to 10 P.M or later
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:40 am

Actually saw a 240 last night, a rare sighting.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:48 am

Ah, yes, the 240. I remember that. Great, as long as you didn't mind missing the headlining band's set. Last one left from Anderston Bus station about eleven.

I usually ended up getting the late night bus to Easterhouse from George Square and walking down past Glasgow Zoo in the pitch black.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tobester » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:02 am

For people who are stupid or mad to have to travel to/from work today...current problems with buses

Renfrew Street closed between Hope Street and West Nile Street.
Diverstion:
From Buchanan Bus Station via left into Killermont Street, right into North Hanover Street, right into Cathedral Street, Bath Street, left into Renfield Street and normal route.
Kingston Bridge closed
Cumbernauld Express services operating via Stepps due to closures on M8.
Service X3 - Westfield Drive blocked (operating direct via Westfield Road)
Services X4 & X5 - Condorrat Ring Rd and Main Street blocked, Services operating via M80.
Service 9 - Paisley High Street closed, operating via Causeyside Street and Canal Street.
Service 9 - Queen Victoria Drive closed, diverted via Anniesland Road and Dumbarton Road.
Service 11 - Shiela St closed, operating direct via Robroyston Road.
Services 20 & 42 - Alderman Road/Duntreath Avenue blocked, operating via Drumchapel Retail Park.
Service 27A - Terminating at Torrance Roundabout.
Service 38 - Diverted via Woodfarm.
Service 44 - Unable to serve Eaglesham, terminating at Sheddens.
Service 45 - Terminating at Carnwadrick (not serving Kennishead Road)
Services 56/57 - Cannot serve Arden (operating via Thornliebank in both directions)
Service 61 - Sandyhill Terminus closed. Operating in a loop via Dodside Street, left into Shettleston Road and left into Killin Street.
Service 62 - Faifley Road blocked, operating directly via Glasgow Road to terminus.
Service 75 - Ashgill Road closed, diveerted via Hawthorn Street and Springburn Expressway.
Serivce 84 - Suspended (road blocked at Drumgrew Bridge)
Service 118 - Faifley Rd closed, operating direct via Glasgow Road.
Service 119 - Operating via Craigton Road in both directions (Hunter Road blocked)
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:32 am

tobester wrote:For people who are stupid or mad to have to travel to/from work today...current problems with buses

What kind of fucking stupid thing is that to say, Tobester?

Do you want public transport to be confined to the poor, destitute and stupid, or do you want it to be for the public?

Jesus.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby SomeRandomBint » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:43 am

Josef wrote:
tobester wrote:For people who are stupid or mad to have to travel to/from work today...current problems with buses

What kind of fucking stupid thing is that to say, Tobester?

Do you want public transport to be confined to the poor, destitute and stupid, or do you want it to be for the public?

Jesus.

Eh? I think he was more referring to the hurricane which currently has things flying past my window. I wouldn't have stepped outside the front door this morning unless it was absolutely necessary!
"-What was all that then? - What? - THAT. - That was Glasgow"
SomeRandomBint
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Josef » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:52 am

In retrospect, you're probably more accurate in your interpretation than I was.

I do still think that there is a generic disrespect towards The Public (and perhaps excusably in practice, but not in principle), but still.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:11 pm

Josef wrote:In retrospect, you're probably more accurate in your interpretation than I was.

I do still think that there is a generic disrespect towards The Public (and perhaps excusably in practice, but not in principle), but still.

There is a frame of mind amongst our leaders that says us ordinary folk should use public transport but they wouldn't do it!
I recall I was once on a bus between Edinburgh and Glasgow and got a phone call from a senior civil servant who was agast to find I was on PUBLIC transport.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby peter » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:51 pm

Sadly it would seem that owning a car lends some to a certain snobbishness against those who do not. I was myself a car owner for 40+ yrs seldom usng public transport. Now however I chose not to own a car. I grudge the costs involved in running one. These days I have a bus pass which is very handy. However when I can I walk. Everywhere. In and out of the city weather permitting and even then we mostly walk.I win win I'm fitter than most in a country where a quarter are obese. I have money in my pocket. I can laugh at those around me who work to pay for a box on wheels. So ulimately you have to feel sorry for the punters in their wee motors ,who look down their noses at public transport users and are most likely too fat to walk the length of their fat arses. :) so have I missed anyone. BTW Happy New Yr heres hoping petrol goes right up in price........
"I've seen them come and I've seen them go. And I've seen them Die"
peter
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scaryman2u » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:23 pm

peter wrote:Sadly it would seem that owning a car lends some to a certain snobbishness against those who do not. I was myself a car owner for 40+ yrs seldom usng public transport. Now however I chose not to own a car. I grudge the costs involved in running one. These days I have a bus pass which is very handy. However when I can I walk. Everywhere. In and out of the city weather permitting and even then we mostly walk.I win win I'm fitter than most in a country where a quarter are obese. I have money in my pocket. I can laugh at those around me who work to pay for a box on wheels. So ulimately you have to feel sorry for the punters in their wee motors ,who look down their noses at public transport users and are most likely too fat to walk the length of their fat arses. :) so have I missed anyone. BTW Happy New Yr heres hoping petrol goes right up in price........

Oh so you got your bus pass ticket you old bastard....eh. What a pretetious fuckwit you are Peter :D
scaryman2u
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby peter » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:25 pm

Oh so you got your bus pass ticket you old bastard....eh. What a pretetious fuckwit you are Peter :D[/quote]

Less o the "pretetious" old bastard. and as they say "Get it right F***** up ye"....................
peter
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby busdriver » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:46 pm

peter wrote:Oh so you got your bus pass ticket you old bastard....eh. What a pretetious fuckwit you are Peter :D

Less o the "pretetious" old bastard. and as they say "Get it right F***** up ye"....................[/quote]

Fuck-wit
A fuck-wit is a individual with absolutely no wits or intelligence and tries to come off smart when really they are just a fuck wit.

Pretentious

Attempting to impress by affecting greater importance, talent, culture, etc., than is actually possessed.

(Retires to a safe distance and waits.) :?

Old Bastard recipe
1 1/2 oz Scotch whisky
1/2 oz Cointreau
1 oz orange juice

Shake all ingredients with ice. Strain into an old-fashioned glass with a couple of ice cubes.
Reguloj por la gvidado de sagxuloj kaj blinda obeemo de malsagxuloj.
busdriver
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:53 pm

Clash of the Titends. :wink:
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby peter » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:37 pm

busdriver wrote:
peter wrote:Oh so you got your bus pass ticket you old bastard....eh. What a pretetious fuckwit you are Peter :D

Less o the "pretetious" old bastard. and as they say "Get it right F***** up ye"....................

Fuck-wit
A fuck-wit is a individual with absolutely no wits or intelligence and tries to come off smart when really they are just a fuck wit.

Pretentious

Attempting to impress by affecting greater importance, talent, culture, etc., than is actually possessed.

(Retires to a safe distance and waits.) :?
::): ::): ::): ::): ::): ::): ::): ::): ::): ::): ::): ::): ::): ::):

Old Bastard recipe
1 1/2 oz Scotch whisky
1/2 oz Cointreau
1 oz orange juice

Shake all ingredients with ice. Strain into an old-fashioned glass with a couple of ice cubes.[/quote]
peter
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)