Buses Today

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Buses Today

Postby Bridie » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:08 am

Josef wrote:
Bridie wrote:
Josef wrote:I get the number 9 every day.

then you go by my mum's house - I'll get her to wave :)

I don't suppose she lives in the Edelweiss house opposite Barshaw Park just before Paisley (which invariably has 'The Sound of Music' songs going through my head for the rest of the morning)? In which case I'm more liable to want to slap rather then wave to her.

I wish!! it sounds fun :D

naw she's the swiss chalet just before the other terminus you know the one just as the bus turns into Gt Western Rd from Lincoln Avenue

Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby asano » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:16 am

Not sure if this is the correct thread for this inquiry but here goes -

Hi all! I'm thinking of going to the Glasgow film festival for the first time. I'm in Dumbarton and I'd be using public transport so I was wondering what is the situation with buses running after midnight from Glasgow to Dumbarton? I guess this would be at the weekend as well.

Any information or perhaps pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated :)
asano
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby yoker brian » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:50 am

Not 100% sure what runs after midnight but if you try the following links

http://www.firstglasgow.com

http://www.travelinescotland.com/welcome.do

http://www.scotrail.co.uk/
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby asano » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:08 pm

Cheers mate! :)
asano
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby glasgowken » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:38 pm

Listening to a conversation between two middle aged junkies on a bus, who needs the telly.
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby munroman » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:44 pm

FirstDay ticket from Kirkintilloch, last year £3.20 - this year £4.50 - WTF?

Still seems the same buses, takes the same time, still no complimentary drinks or snacks, and same iffy driving, so why the massive increase?

And they wonder why people keep using cars.......
munroman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Josef » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:59 pm

As has been noted before, when you've got a car, you've got a car. You're paying for it anyway, and the marginal cost (effectively, the cost of the petrol) involved in making a short commuting journey will almost certainly be less than the cost of the fare for the equivalent public transport journey, and therefore makes little economic sense from that point of view.

I live ten miles from my workplace. My annual transport cost (using First Bus, not that I've any great choice, mind) is just over seven hundred quid. A colleague lives about a mile away from work, drives there, and recently had a car repair bill of just over £1k.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Jenny Geddes » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:07 pm

glasgowken wrote:Listening to a conversation between two middle aged junkies on a bus, who needs the telly.

Reminiscing of the days when a tenner bag was a tenner bag.
Beware of flying stools.
Jenny Geddes
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby RDR » Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:40 am

Josef wrote:As has been noted before, when you've got a car, you've got a car. You're paying for it anyway, and the marginal cost (effectively, the cost of the petrol) involved in making a short commuting journey will almost certainly be less than the cost of the fare for the equivalent public transport journey, and therefore makes little economic sense from that point of view.

I live ten miles from my workplace. My annual transport cost (using First Bus, not that I've any great choice, mind) is just over seven hundred quid. A colleague lives about a mile away from work, drives there, and recently had a car repair bill of just over £1k.

If you look back prior to dergulation you actually didn't have much choice, particularly if you didn't live within the boundaries of Glasgow City as Scottish Bus Group vehicles couldn't drop until outside the boundary.
The whole point of dergulation was to introduce choice but of course all that has happened is we have replaced a state/council monopoly with a private one as the big bus groups such as First, Arriva and Stagecoach ate all the competition.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:52 am

To be fair, several bus companies cover a greater or lesser part of my route. I could, for example get an Arriva bus and walk the last mile or so (and pay more for the privilege). I've been known to do just that on nice days.

The rest are small-bus companies of the type where they clearly purchase their vehicles second-hand from Uzbekistan, have been told that removing shock absorbers is a good money-saving tip, and all the passengers are related.

They're also pretty expensive - a two mile journey is almost the same price as the full ten-mile one. Not that it matters, since (and I've watched) any time I've caught one I'm invariably the only passenger that pays.

Every time I get on one, I always wonder what the payment to the bus company is for those wee electronic card thingies.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:29 am

Josef wrote:To be fair, several bus companies cover a greater or lesser part of my route. I could, for example get an Arriva bus and walk the last mile or so (and pay more for the privilege). I've been known to do just that on nice days.

The rest are small-bus companies of the type where they clearly purchase their vehicles second-hand from Uzbekistan, have been told that removing shock absorbers is a good money-saving tip, and all the passengers are related.

They're also pretty expensive - a two mile journey is almost the same price as the full ten-mile one. Not that it matters, since (and I've watched) any time I've caught one I'm invariably the only passenger that pays.

Every time I get on one, I always wonder what the payment to the bus company is for those wee electronic card thingies.

In theory they get a fixed sum, as determined by the SPT, per passenger.
In practice there has long been allegations that the smaller companies work a fiddle with phantom passengers to maximise income, which is why you see lots of wee buses running empty, but apparently still able to make money.
Unfortunately deregulation didn't just remove control over routes but also removed a lot of rules over the quality and standards of the buses. The traffic commisoners are now becoming more active in that respect, once again which is why you have seen a couple of these companies taken off the road.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fat Cat » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:51 pm

Okay. Can someone please explain to me why these stupid bus drivers put up a "sorry, not in service" sign. Standing at the bus stop yesterday, the 42 comes round at Carntyne Square, clearly signed as a 42. It approaches the bus stop, three of us standing there, and he changes to the sorry sign, drives past although he has passengers on the bus, leaving three pretty pissed off customers. Jeezo, the bus service on a Sunday is bad enough.

Honestly, if I could use another company other than First and their manky, overpriced buses with ignorant drivers, I certainly would.
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:23 pm

if avondale was the alternative fat cat,NAW ye widnae.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:55 pm

Fat Cat wrote:Okay. Can someone please explain to me why these stupid bus drivers put up a "sorry, not in service" sign. Standing at the bus stop yesterday, the 42 comes round at Carntyne Square, clearly signed as a 42. It approaches the bus stop, three of us standing there, and he changes to the sorry sign, drives past although he has passengers on the bus, leaving three pretty pissed off customers. Jeezo, the bus service on a Sunday is bad enough.

Honestly, if I could use another company other than First and their manky, overpriced buses with ignorant drivers, I certainly would.

Short answer is who knows, but First have threatened drivers about keeping to time recently, so it might be a ruse to pick up time if he was behind.
Phone them and complain or you can e-mail them, there is a form on the website.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:40 pm

I've had umpteen "Sorry, out of service" 42's, 9's and 20's fly past on the GWR recently, and although RDR's post solves a mystery it does nothing to alleviate the seething rage when they trundle past.

No point in having a ten minute service if every third bus is tagged "out".
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)