Hiking near Glasgow?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Hiking near Glasgow?

Postby HollowHorn » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:48 pm

Made it up Ben Lomond on Sunday, hard going it was too. Took me around 5 hours (4 to get up & 1 go get down) :D

Ben Lomond. by hollowhorn, on Flickr

Ben Lomond. by hollowhorn, on Flickr
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bridie » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:44 pm

Very nice and it's definately not photoshopped? :D
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:58 pm

How rude! 8O
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby bAzTNM » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:57 pm

Dave wrote:Hi Elgar

My first suggestion would be the old railway line that goes through Bridge of Weir and Houston and the likes. You would alight at Paisley Canal Street station which is now the terminus of the line all you do is follow the rest on foot.

I know this post is probably from a few years ago, but I would watch that whole section of cyclepath from Paisley Canal. A bloody nightmare of a place. Michael Jackson's "Thriller" comes to mind. I've walked that way three times and three times I've had the "I'm jist oot the jail" patter from the local scarred-up druggers. Take a bike. Don't walk it. It's too out the way in a dodgy area.
bAzTNM
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:46 pm

I kind of agree in a way, I've walked it many times with few problems but there is a feeling that trouble could arise at any time. Perhaps it's just an 'out of the public eye' kind of thing.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bridie » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:50 pm

HollowHorn wrote:How rude! 8O

I do apologise HH profusely for using the "P" hotoshop word and questioning your hiking ability :D
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby southsider » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:01 pm

bAzTNM wrote:
Dave wrote:Hi Elgar

My first suggestion would be the old railway line that goes through Bridge of Weir and Houston and the likes. You would alight at Paisley Canal Street station which is now the terminus of the line all you do is follow the rest on foot.

I know this post is probably from a few years ago, but I would watch that whole section of cyclepath from Paisley Canal. A bloody nightmare of a place. Michael Jackson's "Thriller" comes to mind. I've walked that way three times and three times I've had the "I'm jist oot the jail" patter from the local scarred-up druggers. Take a bike. Don't walk it. It's too out the way in a dodgy area.

I have cycled this route from Crookston. to lochwinnoch. The area from Paisley canal to Johnstone is scary. It is like an episode from the walking dead. On three seperate occasions people have been drinking alcohol. On one occasion this guy shouts out to me "Give me a shot of your bike" I ignored him. He then shouts to his two mates " Get Him" I didn't dare look back but started to cycle a lot faster. :D
southsider
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Sunflower » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:21 am

Gosh. Sounds like a not-nice experience...

I've cycled that way to Bridge of Weir or Lochwinnoch quite a few times (and once to Saltcoats - and back by train!). Like all the railway paths, there are bits that I find a bit thought-provoking (glass, graffiti, dark bits under the bridges, and - yes - bods with nothing better to do hanging around with cans in their hands), but I've never actually had a problem. I seem to remember plenty of dog walkers and kids as well, on a nice day.

I was with someone else though, perhaps it feels different then. I think it's handy to be broadcasting a kind of I'm-minding-my-own-business-and-I-know-you're-minding-yours field.

And when you get past the maybe-dodgy bits it's lovely. Bit long and flat for hiking though.
Sunflower
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vinegar Tom » Wed May 02, 2012 11:10 pm

HollowHorn wrote:Took me around 5 hours (4 to get up & 1 go get down) :D

That's an open goal which I shall ignore and move on from. I will feel better in the long run ::):

Here are a few snaps from a walk up Dumgoyne tonight. Turned out far better than it looked this morning.

Dumgoyne Summit Party 4 by vinegartom40, on Flickr

Dumgoyne Summit Party 3 by vinegartom40, on Flickr

Dumgoyne Trig Point by vinegartom40, on Flickr

View from Dumgoyne by vinegartom40, on Flickr
Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Wed May 02, 2012 11:13 pm

Dumgoyne is good climb with the added attraction of a decent pint in the Beech Tree while you await the next bus back to Glasgow.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Thu May 03, 2012 6:56 pm

Excellent work, Tom, for a man of your advanced years. Perhaps we should get some of the junior members out for a steep walk someday.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Denham » Fri May 04, 2012 8:14 pm

HollowHorn wrote:Excellent work, Tom, for a man of your advanced years. Perhaps we should get some of the junior members out for a steep walk someday.

n1 Robert & Dave :)

Junior member here but very very unfit ::): . I would deffo be up for a steep walk someday in the near future.
Denham
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Jockissimo » Fri May 04, 2012 8:23 pm

Aberfoyle and the trossachs have a special feel ! hope there hasn't been felling since i was last there?

Since the OP is sprek enough to get up ben lomond, but generally lacks four wheels - on the other side of the loch you can bus to luss ( huh! eat that local poet ;.- ) and go over several peaks with a final descent to garelochhead station for train back to glesga . A low level alternative which is much longer is via the beallach and between the two restircted areas of glen douglas and the training camp and following the west side of the railway all the way to tarbet for train home.

you will need good map skills though- it is easy to get disorienated up there.

really wild country and you get generous views of the bigger arrochar alps, argyll's bowling green and the very ben you have been up of course!!
Jockissimo
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby youngmckellar » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:35 pm

Anyone looking for a less hilly hike, with a good pub stop half way, may be interested in a route I tried last week as a trail run (minus the pub stop). Starting from the train station in Milngavie following the West Highland Way until Glengoyne Distillery and the Beech Tree Inn. At this point turn off the Way and across the fields through the distillery sheds to join the main road. Head north for a few hundred yards, cross the road and follow the track up past the houses (Blairgar Cottage) and into the woods and Glen Goyne. The road joins the old waterworks route that follows the watersupply from Loch Catrine to Milngavnie and can be followed south into Strathblane. The road comes into Strathblane at a war memorial where you should cross over and head towards some horses fields and a football pitch. Kepp the pitch on your left, walk past it and through the field in front of you to join the forestry track running east west - head west towards Board Farm and beyond along the same track. You will eventually end up back at Mugdock Park from where you can easily get back into Milngavie.

It's a good days walking (about 16 miles) with the pub about half way round. Would be a good walk for anyone interested in the waterworks.
youngmckellar
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby HollowHorn » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:45 pm

youngmckellar wrote:It's a good days walking (about 16 miles) with the pub about half way round. Would be a good walk for anyone interested in the waterworks.

Walking for 8 miles after a beer or two would deffo make one interested in the waterworks facilities. :)

Strange to say though, Cumbo & I were talking about this same walk (more or less) this very day. I think we may well give it a try.
Yes Bridie, you do.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)