Cycling in Glasgow

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Cycling in Glasgow

Postby Lucky Poet » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:01 pm

Hear, hear. Nice to see a photo of a young(ish) Hinault.
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby Dugald » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:46 pm

Found it quite encouraging today when watching the Olympic Torch fiasco in San Francisco that for a considerable period of time four of the torchbearers' immediate guards were mounted policemen... but hey, they weren't on horses, they were mounted on bicycles! Wonder what the chances are of Glasgow having mounted cyclist on duty? They sure do provide a useful service, and think of the money saved with not having to buy petrol!
Dugald
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:54 pm

100%, Dugald :)
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dugald » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:46 pm

Josef wrote:100%, Dugald :)

Josef, it seems your highlighted "100%" was supposed to be clicked upon, and I, being unaware of this, thought you were simply being "terse". There's nothing of course disparaging about being "terse", so I don't think there is anything for which I need apologise. Anyway, I have, since first reading your post, visited the site you recommended and enjoyed reading it. Marvellous that Glasgow is well into the use of bicycles, and in such great numbers too! In the city where I live we have only two cycling polis, but they are both very good cyclists. Thank you for your answer.
Dugald
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Cyclo2000 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:56 pm

Dugald,
Theres an interview with le blaireau in this month's Cycle Sport. He's back on the bike (he swore he'd never ride again after retiring) and training for a seniors race! God help them all....

Alter Aterius Auxilio Veget
Cyclo2000
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dugald » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:58 pm

A great action picture ofHinault in action. Mind you Cyclo, the look on his face suggests he might be enjoying doing all the work at the front. I don't know whether its a fuzzy picture, drizzling rain, or a dust-covered road, but whatever it is, you'll just have to imagine the pain they're all going through to hang onto his wheel! Toe-clips, GB brakes, and nothing on his head...wow! Making a come-back in cycling I imagine is a very difficult thing to do, and I'm sure he'll find things hard. Wonder if Greg Lemond will take a hint?
Dugald
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Cyclo2000 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:59 am

Aye, Greg's in trouble...
http://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee/stories/2008/04/07/daily18.html

He's a funny bugger. I never warmed to Lemond particularly after he cheated to beat Fignon.
Cyclo2000
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dugald » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:13 am

Cyclo2000 wrote:Aye, Greg's in trouble...
http://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee/stories/2008/04/07/daily18.html
He's a funny bugger. I never warmed to Lemond particularly after he cheated to beat Fignon.

I never fancied him very much myself, but winning a Tour three times rates him as having been a pretty good cyclist. I guess with regard to Fignon and cheating you are talking about the handlbar controversy... this didn't go over well with a lot of cyclists where i live.Lemond never went through the same trouble that O'bree did over his handle bars! Thanks for the site. I'd heard about Lemond's trouble with Trek but this is the first I have heard about Armstrong's involvement. I gave up reading bicycle magazines and watching pro-races after the Pantani drug affair.
Dugald
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Cyclo2000 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:08 pm

FYI doogs, if you can access ITV4 via t'intraweb....they're showing Paris-Roubaix next Saturday mornin.

Aye, the bars. effin' rum do...poor old Laurent had a saddle sore the size of an egg right on his taint as well. Never complained about it, never called Greg a cheat, just accepted defeat like the champion he was.
You still hear people saying he must have been disappointed with his season but they forget, that was the year he won the Giro and Milan San Remo! Mon Hero.
Cyclo2000
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dugald » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:01 am

Cyclo2000 wrote:FYI doogs, if you can access ITV4 via t'intraweb....they're showing Paris-Roubaix next Saturday mornin.
Aye, the bars. effin' rum do...poor old Laurent had a saddle sore the size of an egg right on his taint as well. Never complained about it, never called Greg a cheat, just accepted defeat like the champion he was.
You still hear people saying he must have been disappointed with his season but they forget, that was the year he won the Giro and Milan San Remo! Mon Hero.

Thanks for the Paris-Roubaix site Cyclo. I don't think i'll manage to see it. (don't tell anyone I said so, but I'd much rather watch a Tour de Bute!)
Yes, i know what it is you're saying about Fignon. He was probably the reigning Tour de France gentleman during the years I followed the Tour. Geez, the man never even looked mad or disappointed any time... in that jungle!
Interesting stuff!
Dugald
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:43 pm

spt

Cycle lockers at rail stations

Park your bike and ride
SPT is keen to support travellers who would like to cycle to their local rail station and then continue their journey by train.

We have installed secure cycle lockers at 44 rail stations in the SPT area. These lockers can be hired from SPT for only £8.00* for a four-week period.

*Plus returnable deposit of £10.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dugald » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:08 pm

Mori wrote:spt
Cycle lockers at rail stations
Park your bike and ride
SPT is keen to support travellers who would like to cycle to their local rail station and then continue their journey by train.
We have installed secure cycle lockers at 44 rail stations in the SPT area. These lockers can be hired from SPT for only £8.00* for a four-week period.*Plus returnable deposit of £10.

Great idea Mori! I hope it gets well-used. It isn't expensive and it will help rid the city of some vehicles. We don't have lockers here where I live, but suitable locations are generally provided for locking one's bike, but a locker is an even better idea. We have buses with a bike rack situated outside at the front bumper of the bus. They are cheap too, can carry two bikes and do get a bit of use.
Dugald
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:08 pm

The Glasgow International Bike Film Festival - On Tour
The Glasgow International Bike Film Festival - On Tour is delighted to present the cinema premiere tour of the new mountain bike film from The Collective called Seasons. The tour, which runs from 30 April 2008 to 14 June 2008 across the UK, will be the only opportunity to see this film on the big screen.

The screening will be accompanied by the world premiere of the new film from Mark Huskisson, maker of Downhill Racer Guide, called Home, a mountain bike film shot entirely on location throughout the UK.

Scottish Premiere - Glasgow
Date: Wednesday 21 May 2008
Time: 8.30pm
Venue: Glasgow Film Theatre, 12 Rose Street, Glasgow G3 6RB
Box Office: 0141 332 6535. From 12noon daily.
Online bookings: http://www.gft.org.uk

For further details, please visit http://www.thecollectivefilm.com.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Previous

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)