Old Army camp in Pollok

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Old Army camp in Pollok

Postby fourbytwo » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:38 pm

:oops: :oops: sorry.....part about farmhouse that became a masonic lodge should read LEFT, going up Boydstone Road... :oops: :oops:
fourbytwo
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:35 pm

Does this help find the location?

Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby fourbytwo » Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:35 pm

::): yes, Alex, this is an old photo right enough and does show the areas concerned, in particular the ambulance depot, and the access routes from Bellarmine and Burnbrae, to the small clump of trees hiding the cottage....it also clearly shows BOTH water towers, and the sites of the POW foundations.....!
What is the date of this photo...?
fourbytwo
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:19 pm

At a guess I would say mid 60's fourbytwo.

Glad it helps.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby fourbytwo » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:52 am

8O Thanks.....thought as much
Clearly shows the NSB at Cowglen, the NSB parking areas, the ambulance depot and the sites around the Cowglen hospital, I saw a photo almost identical to this a few years ago, only this one shows the land before the NSB, and that would be a real eye-opener, if i could remember where I saw that photo.
fourbytwo
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Benny1954 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:39 pm

German POW's at the Peat Rd roundabout in 1945

http://pollok.eveningtimes.co.uk/area/pollok-housing-estate-1945.html
Benny1954
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby neilmc » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:24 pm

Hello again Benny.

That POW photo was taken at the site of what would become the Bundy scheme: the sub-station directly behind, and mostly obscured by, the guard on the left is still there, beside the Brock Burn.

Here's a crop from an old negative I dug out of my reject box, hence its poor condition; it dates from 1972. It shows what looks like the water tower at Cowglen mentioned earlier on this thread. You can also see the cranes working on Phase 2 of the National Savings Bank:-

neilmc
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby maryrose » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:03 pm

Hi I am looking for information about a US army camp located west of Crookston Castle and to the north and south of the Levern just west of the White Cart. I was looking for Dugald too as he seems very knowledgeable
maryrose
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby moonbeam » Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:07 pm

I have just found an article by a German POW re POW Camps in the Glasgow area. Camp 188 was in Johnston. Seems there were smaller "Satellite" camps mainly in old army camps. He talks about an Italian camp at Duntocher. He talks about after the war ended working on a housing development in the Clydebank area. Digging sewage trenches and house foundations. He notes the local workers were concerned over the employment of these POWs on very low rates of pay. Undercutting local labour! But he found not much "hostility" towards them as a result of the Clydebank Blitz. More the concerns of the local workers regarding doing work which possibly a local man could do.
moonbeam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby moonbeam » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:43 am

I have been reading a transcript of an ex German POW's time in the Glasgow area. He mentions friends from the Netherhouse Camp. In his article he says that some of the POWs at Netherhouse were ex Afrika Korps men who had been transferred to the USA. In 1945 they were shipped back from the US to Netherhouse. By 1947 most of them had gone back to Germany. There was a "grading system" of who got sent home first. Hitler Youth and Nazi party members were graded highest and last to go home.
moonbeam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Previous

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)