A Greek Tragedy

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby PlasticDel » Wed Jun 16, 2004 3:17 am

duncan wrote:Personally, I'd like to know:

- who was it that phoned in and complained the building looked unsafe, and were they in any way related to a) the council, b) the owners?



Shocking!
On that note, Duncan...

Rant:
I've objected to proposal to demolish a magnificent building in my town. Its been empty for a while, but it stands in the way of "progress" Why not put a concrete box in it place and then keep the rates so high nobody will move into it?
This particular building is owned by a group of trustees! The council coulda easily given them a repair notice to keep it in good nick, or carried out the repairs themselves and charged the owners for them. But the trustees are chaired by one particular guys who happens to be the council leader. Building control aint gonna charge their boss or order him to pay 1.5mil in repairs, coz it's gonna be their job on the line.

In closing:
GCC shoulda stepped in here, they don't seem to give a damn about Thomson. Councils are owned and ordered and run by morons, who are too greedy to see past their steering wheel on their Jag! Councils suck!
User avatar
PlasticDel
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 574
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:43 am
Location: Irvine/Dundee

Postby james73 » Wed Jun 16, 2004 10:51 am

PlasticDel wrote:In closing:
GCC shoulda stepped in here, they don't seem to give a damn about Thomson. Councils are owned and ordered and run by morons, who are too greedy to see past their steering wheel on their Jag! Councils suck!


Yep. :roll:





James H
He's over there...
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 2035
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2003 4:08 pm
Location: urbanglasgow.co.uk - come & join us.....

Postby nodrog » Wed Jun 16, 2004 10:52 am

PlasticDel wrote: I've objected to proposal to demolish a magnificent building in my town. Its been empty for a while, but it stands in the way of "progress" Why not put a concrete box in it place and then keep the rates so high nobody will move into it?


Just out of interest, what building is that they want to demolish?
"I'd just move on to the 'hot-air ballooning vigilante' stage of my career earlier than planned"

www.scottishcinemas.org.uk
www.twitter.com/scottishcinemas
User avatar
nodrog
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 770
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2004 3:37 pm
Location: Glasgow

Postby duncan » Wed Jun 16, 2004 12:22 pm

PlasticDel wrote: This particular building is owned by a group of trustees! The council coulda easily given them a repair notice to keep it in good nick, or carried out the repairs themselves and charged the owners for them. But the trustees are chaired by one particular guys who happens to be the council leader.


come on investigative journalists, there's news happening here that needs reporting! combine this with the Greek Thomson demolition, and mention that building in the merchant city that got pulled down overnight, and there's a good story in there i'd say...
User avatar
duncan
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 1150
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2002 9:54 am
Location: Glasgow

Postby dazza » Wed Jun 16, 2004 12:30 pm

I wonder if any one from Glasgow City Council, for example Hanzala Malik - Convenor of the Council's Developement and Regeneration Services, has read any of this? Be interesting to hear what they had to say to us.
User avatar
dazza
-
-
 
Posts: 2019
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2003 4:25 pm

Postby Fossil » Wed Jun 16, 2004 12:51 pm

dazzababes wrote:I wonder if any one from Glasgow City Council, for example Hanzala Malik - Convenor of the Council's Developement and Regeneration Services, has read any of this? Be interesting to hear what they had to say to us.


anyone got the email address :?: :twisted:

-Fossil-
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
User avatar
Fossil
-
-
 
Posts: 12295
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 12:07 am
Location: Pitt Street

Postby Pgcc93 » Wed Jun 16, 2004 12:54 pm

Pop along to a planning meeting and observe the goings on, particularly if it's regarding contentious issues like mobile phone masts,incinerators, landfill, motorways etc. Then you'll see democracy in action. Oh! and if your protesting about anything in your area just bear in mind that your not allowed to speak 8O :!: . I know from bitter experience :evil:
User avatar
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 4107
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2003 8:12 pm
Location: Hotel Du Vin

Postby nodrog » Wed Jun 16, 2004 12:57 pm

Pgcc93 wrote:Pop along to a planning meeting and observe the goings on, particularly if it's regarding contentious issues like mobile phone masts,incinerators, landfill, motorways etc. Then you'll see democracy in action. Oh! and if your protesting about anything in your area just bear in mind that your not allowed to speak 8O :!: . I know from bitter experience :evil:


yup, been there, done that, got the t-shirt.

The system is quite amazing to watch in action... and not in a good way, obviously.
"I'd just move on to the 'hot-air ballooning vigilante' stage of my career earlier than planned"

www.scottishcinemas.org.uk
www.twitter.com/scottishcinemas
User avatar
nodrog
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 770
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2004 3:37 pm
Location: Glasgow

Postby Sharon » Wed Jun 16, 2004 12:58 pm

The Modern Fossil wrote:
dazzababes wrote:I wonder if any one from Glasgow City Council, for example Hanzala Malik - Convenor of the Council's Developement and Regeneration Services, has read any of this? Be interesting to hear what they had to say to us.


anyone got the email address :?: :twisted:

-Fossil-


They will no doubt have a standard convention for the email addy... i'd stab a gess at hanzala.malik@glasgow.gov.uk or hmalik@glasgow.gov.uk

or something like those..
Beware of yawning dogs.
User avatar
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 7486
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2002 11:30 am
Location: Galloway

Postby nodrog » Wed Jun 16, 2004 1:01 pm

"I'd just move on to the 'hot-air ballooning vigilante' stage of my career earlier than planned"

www.scottishcinemas.org.uk
www.twitter.com/scottishcinemas
User avatar
nodrog
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 770
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2004 3:37 pm
Location: Glasgow

Postby Fossil » Wed Jun 16, 2004 1:03 pm

well do we :?: :twisted:

-F-
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
User avatar
Fossil
-
-
 
Posts: 12295
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 12:07 am
Location: Pitt Street

Postby Sharon » Wed Jun 16, 2004 1:03 pm

I was close then!

Well...now we can get to the f*****r ... as anaside...he ain't pretty is he!!!
Beware of yawning dogs.
User avatar
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 7486
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2002 11:30 am
Location: Galloway

Postby ianmcmillan » Wed Jun 16, 2004 1:07 pm

nodrog wrote:And here's the cheery chap himself!

Image


Hahahaha has someone had Photoshop on to this?
ianmcmillan
First Stripe
First Stripe
 
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2004 11:48 am
Location: Battlefield

Postby nodrog » Wed Jun 16, 2004 1:09 pm

ianmcmillan wrote:
nodrog wrote:And here's the cheery chap himself!

Image


Hahahaha has someone had Photoshop on to this?


Nope, thats the actual photo from his council page! :)


http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/en/YourCounci ... ward18.htm
"I'd just move on to the 'hot-air ballooning vigilante' stage of my career earlier than planned"

www.scottishcinemas.org.uk
www.twitter.com/scottishcinemas
User avatar
nodrog
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 770
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2004 3:37 pm
Location: Glasgow

Postby PlasticDel » Wed Jun 16, 2004 2:17 pm

nodrog wrote:Just out of interest, what building is that they want to demolish?



The Trinity Church, Hillstreet/Bridgegate, Irvine.
User avatar
PlasticDel
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 574
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:43 am
Location: Irvine/Dundee

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 20 guests