A Greek Tragedy

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby maccoinnich » Mon May 16, 2005 2:00 pm

May I be a little bit controversial here, albeit a year late? From reading the thread, I don't really get any sense of why it matters in the slightest that this building is gone. It was derelict and no longer useful, so was demolished. That's what happens in cities. They evolve. They change. How much of Georgian Glasgow is there left now? Not a lot.

Ah, but it was Greek Thomson building. Well, sort of. It was just where he worked, and happened to make some alterations to an existing building. It doesn't really stand up there with the genius of of the St Vincent St church or Egyptian Halls, for example. I almost get a feeling that people are upset for this building as if that makes a difference for all the other things that have happened to his buildings, and the countless others.
maccoinnich
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Vladimir » Mon May 16, 2005 4:11 pm

If cities constantly change maccoinnich then there will be little left to remember, nothing you remember seeing since you were a kid, up until adulthood and are sure you will see into the future. Memories are tied to places. We dont need another 60's or 70's to replace our cities with new buildings. Not unless you want Glasgow to look like an outpost of Las Vegas. :( 8O
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby maccoinnich » Mon May 16, 2005 5:01 pm

Vladimir wrote:If cities constantly change maccoinnich then there will be little left to remember, nothing you remember seeing since you were a kid, up until adulthood and are sure you will see into the future. Memories are tied to places. We dont need another 60's or 70's to replace our cities with new buildings. Not unless you want Glasgow to look like an outpost of Las Vegas. :( 8O

Who said anything about Las Vegas? Or wanting another 60's or 70's? But when a building is past it's useful life, and is of little merit - still no one seems to say of what merit his offices were - then why mourn its loss?
Last edited by maccoinnich on Mon May 16, 2005 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maccoinnich
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Vladimir » Mon May 16, 2005 5:22 pm

This is the kind of thing which might replace an old building 'with no merit'.

What merit is Edinburgh Castle or the Finnieston Crane?

What merit is just about any historical building in Scotland that isnt important for or used by some company. A sense of architecture is important, the most useful building is a plain concrete box, that is not an option I would look forward to as a replacement to a building by Greek Thompson or any brilliant architect. Ok this one wasnt one of his better buildings but it shouldn't have been replaced.

:wink:
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Mon May 16, 2005 5:26 pm

The issue of this buildings merit is two-fold, firstly it formed part of the Georgian townscape of Blythswood Hill and secondly Alexander Thomson worked from this office and made a number of note-worthy alterations to it, add to this formula the fact that there is so little of his work left due to the negligence of previous generations and you have a solid case for preservation.

It sets an unhealthy prescendence, actually, is sets nothing, its merely the continuation of an inept system and the ongoing destruction of this genius' work. The fact that no architect is involved in its replacement scheme bears witness to this.

Its shoddy, small minded, feeble and pretty much what we have come to expect from Glasgow City Council. If a buildng which an architect of the calibre of Thomson was involved with can succumb to such a miserable ending then what hope should we hold for all other listed structures in Glasgow? Would this have happened if Charles Rennie Mackintosh were involved or had some design input in this building? I think not.

Complete, total and utter SHAMBLES!
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby crusty_bint » Mon May 16, 2005 5:35 pm

...one more thing, it was already listed! Whats the point in anything being listed if debacles such as this and the Elgin Place Memorial Church demolition are allowed to happen
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby maccoinnich » Mon May 16, 2005 6:47 pm

First of all, I'm not standing here defending Glasgow City Council's architectural policy. Without getting in a sperate discussion, the demolition of the Elgin Place church - when the portico at least was perfectly salvageable, was a crime. And yes, it is a tragedy that no architect is involved in the design of the replacement building*, but then that would be a tragedy wherever that happened.

Ok this one wasnt one of his better buildings

No. Take a look at the photos from the first page of this thread, then look at, say, any of his other buildings.

there is so little of his work left due to the negligence of previous generations and you have a solid case for preservation.

Is there? Because, somewhere in the building, there were slight traces of genius? We can't make up for past losses by preserving something else, of less merit. Let me make it clear - Thomson is one my favourite architects. I think the nickname "Greek" is almost a shame, as it seems to label his as a mere neoclassical architect, when he created works with so much more thought to them than that.

The condition of many of his buildings is shocking. And something can be done. Even the Caledonia Road church may be beyond saving as he designed it, but an imaginative architect could save what's left and convert it into something new and exciting.

In this case, his offices had been left to rot, and were no longer stable or useable. A failing of the system, perhaps, but that was the case. And ask yourselves - had that building been by someone else, exactly the same as it was, with no name recognition, would you really care? Would this thread have so many replies? Was it really of the same value as Edinburgh Castle?

As for the Wolfson Medical building - what's the relevance of that? It was designed by a Reiach and Hall, a leading Scottish firm. It's won many awards. Personally I think it's quite stunning from the outside. I haven't been in, but apparently it's a lovely building to be in. And I'm not sure, but it was it not a brownfield site prior to it's building?

* Genuine question: who designs a building if not an architect then?
maccoinnich
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Vladimir » Mon May 16, 2005 7:08 pm

:D
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby escotregen » Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:19 am

Some time back on this thread I thought I was maybe being over-cynical in doubting whether Thompson's St Vincent Street Church was safe given the Council's failed stewardship over his other heritage. Well, the Herald this morning shows that maybe I was being realistic rather than cynical.
Oddly enough, I walked past the building yesterday and was depressed to see that the intricate and unique detailing around the doorways is now visibly crumbling - I think it must be 'hand-soft' by now.

http://www.theherald.co.uk/news/41756.html
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Three strikes and you're out

Postby Closet Classicist » Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:01 pm

Quite escotregen. It is profoundly depressing and embarassing in the former city of culture and city architecture and design that one of the city's internationally acknowledged architectural masterpieces is just allowed to rot while everyone wrings their hands. The fact that this display is conducted so publically does our city no credit whatsoever. Its also comes as little surprise to discover that Glasgow city council's Development and Regeneration committee ruled out a joint Mackintosh and Greek Thomson world heritage bid in April. Not only do the buildings concerned have to be in superb condition to qualify for this so do their surroundings. That means money and GCC's priorities are people not buildings even though they have now cottoned on to their tourism potential. I gather that Glasgow Building preservation trust has been commissioned to do yet another potential use study of it. What it needs is action not another bloody report! That isn't going to keep the water out! Would this not be an excellent candidate for the BBC's Restoration?
Closet Classicist
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Merlot » Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:39 pm

I'm shocked to read about this. I worked in an office right across the road some years ago and spent many hours looking at this lovely building.
It's a f***ing scandal. :x
Merlot
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Closet Classicist » Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:04 am

Drop a letter into the Herald concerning the Church and a potential solution yesterday and it's appeared into today's addition:

http://www.theherald.co.uk/features/41935.html
Closet Classicist
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby escotregen » Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:12 am

Good points well made Closset. As you said, the Air Rights approach seems to work well in some given situations in the USA. Let's now hope there is some enterprising developer (well they are all enterprising, but you know what I mean) picks up on this and approaches the Council on it.
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DickyHart » Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:07 am

if this wonderful building had the name 'Macintosh' on its design plan, im sure it wouldnt be in the state its in. Im my opinion of course, no saying it right but...
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby maccoinnich » Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:59 pm

I don't really understand how this works. Could some one explain air rights?
maccoinnich
First Stripe
First Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)