Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Fossil » Wed Jun 16, 2004 8:34 pm

-Fossil-
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby escotregen » Wed Jun 16, 2004 8:56 pm

Fossil, now this is funny! It's the first thing in this whole sorry tragedy that's made me laugh.
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby nodrog » Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:26 pm

Just to put a further depressing few photos - all thats left now is a couple of railings...

"I'd just move on to the 'hot-air ballooning vigilante' stage of my career earlier than planned"

www.scottishcinemas.org.uk
www.twitter.com/scottishcinemas
nodrog
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:31 pm

Truly shocking.....

Fossil
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby DMcNay » Fri Jun 18, 2004 5:14 am

I take it those railings are too heavy to fit in the back of someones car? :twisted: :wink:
Too few hours in the day.
DMcNay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DMcNay » Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:03 am

nodrog wrote:Ah, the power of google:

[email protected]

And here's the cheery chap himself!

http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/en/YourCounci ... ward18.htm

So, did anyone email him? And if so, did you get a response?
Too few hours in the day.
DMcNay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Tue Jun 22, 2004 6:59 am

The "Nooks and Corners" section in the current Private Eye is about the Thompson building.

Scanners buggered, so no pic sorry :(
два сталкиваются
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Fri Jun 25, 2004 10:39 am

I don't know if anyone maybe caught more details than me, but I heard an item on the Scottish news this week about Glagow setting up some sort of review to identify building at risk and prevent their loss.

Apparently there had been an initial query that suggested there were 2000 old buildings worthy of investigation, however after they investigated this they found that the figure was closer to 7000 and this had prompted this initiative.

Could it possibly be that someone with a bit more sense has managed to get into a position with some influence and begin to stop the rot set in from the past?
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby nodrog » Fri Jun 25, 2004 10:45 am

Apollo wrote:I don't know if anyone maybe caught more details than me, but I heard an item on the Scottish news this week about Glagow setting up some sort of review to identify building at risk and prevent their loss.

This is something that was first mentioned quite a few months ago, when the last Greek Thompson building (the warehouse near Glasgow Cross) was demolished, and the Virginia Galleries about the same time.

As I recall, an 'urgent survey' was to be undertaken of all the listed buildings thought to be under potential risk.
Given that this building was still demolished several months after this was supposed to have taken place, I'm not holding out a lot of hope that any review will do any actual good.

It's not as if they don't really know already what buildings are likely to be at risk - its that they just dont bother doing anything about it regardless!

The idea sounds suspicsiously like a face-saving exercise to me, but I'd be happy to be proved wrong!
"I'd just move on to the 'hot-air ballooning vigilante' stage of my career earlier than planned"

www.scottishcinemas.org.uk
www.twitter.com/scottishcinemas
nodrog
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Sat Jun 26, 2004 1:20 pm

Got my scanner working so here's the article from Private Eye

два сталкиваются
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby turbozutek » Sat Jun 26, 2004 5:29 pm

dr_lightning wrote:
nodrog wrote:Ah, the power of google:

[email protected]

And here's the cheery chap himself!

http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/en/YourCounci ... ward18.htm

So, did anyone email him? And if so, did you get a response?

Chr!st - does that guy have ENOUGH CHINS there ???

8O

Chris...
turbozutek
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Sun Jun 27, 2004 2:29 am

Nodrog, your points are just why I had hoped that someone else had maybe caught the full report the other day. That's why I also used the word 'review' as I came across it too late to hear what these folk would actually be doing e.g. listing, reporting, actioning.

Am I the only one that's not surprised at what the good councillor is doing? After all, he is the spitting image of the captain of the Vogon Destructor Fleet from H2G2.
Last edited by Apollo on Mon Oct 04, 2004 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Cyclo2000 » Mon Jun 28, 2004 3:26 pm

Came across this Local Goverment appraissal while looking for pics of Walmer Crescent.
http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/0191CE62-9BE1-4F92-86E8-494C9CF1E44F/0/WALMERCRESCENTrtf.rtf

The very last paragraph makes v. interesting reading.

Found a v. nice pic on http://www.thegovanstory.com
but ain't sure how to attach it...
Alter Aterius Auxilio Veget
Cyclo2000
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby escotregen » Mon Aug 09, 2004 8:36 am

I,many weeks ago, emailed Hanzala Malik (he being the convenor of the Council's Development and Regeneration Services committee) in reasonable terms expressing concern about the latest Greek Thompson loss and asking what additional measures the Council would be taking to protect and develop the remaining assets. Having received not so much as an acknowledgement after a few weeks, I enquired at the City Chambers early in July. I was given the enigmatic advice that "the Council is in recess during July". I think this must mean that you'r not allowed to use Glasgow in July. Anyway here we are in August and still no response from Hanzala... maybe we will lose the next Thomson building before I get any reply? (now I'm woried that this could be one of them self-fulfilling predictions).
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Fri Aug 13, 2004 6:24 pm

Cyclo2000 wrote:Came across this Local Goverment appraissal while looking for pics of Walmer Crescent.
http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/0191CE62-9BE1-4F92-86E8-494C9CF1E44F/0/WALMERCRESCENTrtf.rtf

The very last paragraph makes v. interesting reading.

Thats a very interesting read. I used to live in Elizabeth Street and it used to depress me immensely walking along Walmer Crescent and see the mess of the garden and the parade of shops is a disgrace really.
два сталкиваются
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)