A Greek Tragedy

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Apollo » Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:06 pm

Does this help?

In the 1980s a scheme of transferring a building's air rights (or Transferable Development Rights, TDRs) to the use of another, proposed building was introduced by city authorities. It was meant to offer an alternative for investors wanting to demolish old, still functionable buildings -- "undersized" in relation to the total legal height allowed for the site -- and replace them with new, taller buildings. The idea was to "transfer" unbuilt building volume to an adjacent plot, which would then enable the construction of a taller building than the rules would normally allow. For example, the Trump Tower used the air rights of the neighbouring Tiffany & Co. Building.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Closet Classicist » Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:43 am

Thanks for that Apollo. Thats air rights in a nut shell. It's a not uncommon conservation solution for buildings in New York with buildings such as Grand Central Station benefiting from this. Only thing I'm not sure about is that it has to apply to a neighbouring property which could lead to a bit of a disjointed cityscape but then I suppose dramatic changes in scale are all part of the big city experience! I would rather you could apply them where it was most appropriate instead. I know with Grand Central one developer argued that the building he wanted to develop several blocks away, using the stations air rights, was a neighbouring structure as it was adjacent to the railway tunnels approaching Grand Central. Think NYC knocked him back! I suppose its up to individual cities to interpret this to their own benefit though.
Closet Classicist
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby cumbo » Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:33 pm

Our old pal Hanzala Maliik is to stand as an MP in Robin Cooks old seat.
well he gets my full support if only to get him the fuck out of Glasgow :twisted:
cumbo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Closet Classicist » Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:20 am

I maybe late with this one, don't know having been away on holiday, but I walked up Wellington street this morning and the beautiful Greek Thomson warehouse that had the record shop 'missing' on the ground floor is, er... missing on the account if it having been half demolished. Spoke to the contractors and it was apparently unsafe. They are at least trying to save the stone carving including the very unusual entrance columns. In Manchester someone like Urban Splash would have snaped this up for conversion years ago. What happened here?

This is the listing description:
Circa 1875, style of Alexander Thomson. 5-storey commercial building; 3 bays to Wellington Street, plain 11-window return to Holm Street. Polished ashlar, channelled between bays at 1st floor. Ground floor, recessed entrance with distyle doorpiece in antis, angle antae. 1st floor anta pilastrade, windows arranged 3-3-3, rosette necking; 2nd floor anta pilastrade with anthemion necking, guilloche frieze, egg and dart cornice. Giant Corinthian pilasters rising from 2nd to 3rd floor between bays, supporting 3rd floor cornice with anthemion frieze and ovolo moulding, anthemia above pilasters. 4th floor anta pilastrade with short, fluted pilasters between bays. Main dentil cornice (shorn). Die parapet with anthemia returning 2 bays into Holm Street
Closet Classicist
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby red_kola » Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:41 am

Closet Classicist wrote:I maybe late with this one, don't know having been away on holiday, but I walked up Wellington street this morning and the beautiful Greek Thomson warehouse that had the record shop 'missing' on the ground floor is, er... missing on the account if it having been half demolished.

It was noted, chronicled and moaned about here.
red_kola
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:45 am

The thread you're missing is here :(

Whoops, simultaneous posting, sorry :oops:
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Closet Classicist » Mon Sep 12, 2005 4:30 pm

Thanks guys. Now I'm up to speed! You go away for a couple of weeks and it all falls apart.... sigh
Closet Classicist
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby escotregen » Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:59 am

There was a scathing piece on the St Vincent Street Church in the Independent newspaper’s colour supplement yesterday on world sites and things “your grandchildren will never see”. Of the church it said:

“the church is now considered one of the world’s 100 most endangered sites by the World Monuments Fund. After half a century of neglect, the parlous state of the church was highlighted in 1998, but little has been done since then, with no rescue plan apparent nor any long term policy to ensure that this remarkable building is not lost forever”

Glasgow, ‘City of Culture’? … Glasgow, ‘Scotland with Style? … The poignancy and fearful sense of impending loss of this unique treasure was added to with:

“St Vincent’s Street Church in Glasgow is the sole survivor of a trio of churches designed for the city by the renowned Scottish architect “Greek” Thompson. Later, St Vincent’s was described by the American architectural historian Henry Russell Hitchcock as one of the three finest Romantic Classical churches in the world.”
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: A Greek Tragedy

Postby Socceroo » Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:43 pm

escotregen wrote:Really bad news today with another loss to the heritage to Glasgow left by Alexander 'Greek Thompson'. His original offices at the corner of West Regent Street and Wellington Street have been declared unsafe and are to be demolished.

I see that Glasgow City Council Demolition and Renumeration (Development Applications) Sub Committee met on the 13th September 2005, to consider a Planning Application for the site at 107 West George Street / Wellington Street corner.

Jaw droppingly blatant 8O

Did i read that correctly.

:evil: Crooked Bar Stewards!!!!! :evil: If you are going to be bent, might as well be honest about it.
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:55 pm

it would be nice to see who is the Director of Mosslea Properties Ltd......
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby Toaster » Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:28 pm

Modern Fossil wrote:it would be nice to see who is the Director of Mosslea Properties Ltd......

You could try Companies House - all companies have to register certain info with the government and a List of Directors is one of them I think. I don't have time to search at the mo - couldn't find the company on a quick look - but the website is http://www.companieshouse.gov.uk//index.shtml

Cheers,
Stuart
Toaster
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Apollo » Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:40 pm

Directors used to be listed with the Company Info, but last time I was there, it looked as if Director details were only available on payment of a fee.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

A greek tradgedy

Postby hazy » Mon Oct 24, 2005 4:45 pm

MMMMMMMMM somebody has got pockets deeper than the Caves of Drac
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby John » Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:30 pm

Apologies for reactivating this thread but I have just joined HG. I captured a few shots of this building back in January 1992. I didn't know the historical connections at the time but just liked the look of it. Not the sharpest of shots but they have a certain charm.

walbass
'It's a sad day for capitalism when a man can't fly a midget on a kite over Central Park'
John
-
-

Green light for £3.7m restoration of Greek Thomson halls

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:05 am

Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)