Squinty Bridge Closed

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Squinty Bridge Closed

Postby oneiros » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:02 am

It's very depressing to read news of this sort. What has happened to good workmanship in the West? In Dubai, Malaysia, Thailand, Taiwan and China they're all building fantastic, iconic, massive structures which complexity and detail dwarfs anything ever seen before in the history of mankind (except the Pyramids that is).

And while we're choking on the Bric economies' dust, we are no longer able to construct a simple bridge. A BRIDGE.
It's almost at the point where I drop out of Business school and take up Architecture.
oneiros
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby onyirtodd » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:22 am

oneiros wrote: It's very depressing to read news of this sort. What has happened to good workmanship in the West? In Dubai, Malaysia, Thailand, Taiwan and China they're all building fantastic, iconic, massive structures which complexity and detail dwarfs anything ever seen before in the history of mankind (except the Pyramids that is).

Common denominator? Cheap labour.

oneiros wrote:And while we're choking on the Bric economies' dust, we are no longer able to construct a simple bridge. A BRIDGE.
It's almost at the point where I drop out of Business school and take up Architecture.

You might do better to study PPE or Political Economy.
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby OLDFART » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:23 am

I know we're only poking a bit of fun at the bridge and the neccessary repairs but let's not forget the Clyde has claimed the lives of too many working men already.

still confused whats it got to do with statement. There was no tragedy unless you count the cable snapping?
OLDFART
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Bingo Bango » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:45 am

oneiros wrote:It's very depressing to read news of this sort. What has happened to good workmanship in the West? In Dubai, Malaysia, Thailand, Taiwan and China they're all building fantastic, iconic, massive structures which complexity and detail dwarfs anything ever seen before in the history of mankind (except the Pyramids that is).

And while we're choking on the Bric economies' dust, we are no longer able to construct a simple bridge. A BRIDGE.

Good workmanship in the West is still around. Some of the best as well. research the the building boom in the places mentioned above and you will see that much of it is designed by western companies, where the 'cream' of talent heads to take on the biggest challenges of a generation. You will also find much of it built in shocking health and safety conditions where workers rights are ignored, pay is abysmal and hours long and dangerous.

Perhaps those are the conditions needed to restart the new glory days of british architecture and civil engineering? where the BRIDGE could have claimed a couple of lives and those building it get paid wallies?

Why dont you drop out of business school then and take up architecture or engineering or something? you might find that the skills needed go beyond being able to draw a pretty picture and choosing where the bog goes, that designing, detailing and delivering a modern building in the 21st century is an extremely complicated process that crosses many skills boundaries.

You could try it, or you could on the other hand just sit there, pissing and moaning about it on an internet forum.
Bingo Bango
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby oneiros » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:52 am

Bingo Bango wrote:Why dont you drop out of business school then and take up architecture or engineering or something? (...)
You could try it, or you could on the other hand just sit there, pissing and moaning about it on an internet forum.

oneiros wrote:It's almost at the point where I drop out of Business school and take up Architecture.

Hi there!

I really didn't mean to offend anyone in here. I certainly don''t want to start a flamewar over some bridge. The reason I posted was simply to vent my frustration that so many Western projects tend to be mediocre and/or fail these days, while the eastern Bric economies (yes they have cheap labor, but that has nothing to do with quality) do so well.

If that is "pissing and moaning about it over an internet forum" then I am very sorry. Just thought this whole thread was about the problem with the Squinty Bridge (a Bridge that I like btw).
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."-A. Einstein
oneiros
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Bingo Bango » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:03 pm

hello!

not causing a flamewar or anything like it, simply the fact that the most common thing to do on these boards seems to be to bemoan the lack of quality in every single development that is suggested, built or in the process of being bulit.

And for every concievable reason also - its not the right material, it doesnt 'fit in', its too big, its too small, its late, its for the wrong purpose, in the wrong location, etc, etc, etc.

I firmly believe this attitude is also a contributing factor to the poor quality of design and construction that the country experiences. there are fantastically talented people designing our buildings aesthetics and structures every day, but too many of them are doing so for clients with the same sort of views - why build quality buildings that push the accpeted model and pay through the nose when some tacky shit that claims to be a traditional design will be passed with no trouble.

Too many people are happy to drive the latest in cutting edge motor car design that provides amazing performance on zero fuel, which has been researched and developed at huge cost but only park it alongside the mock tudor cottage with timber porch and rustic brick walls.
Bingo Bango
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:16 pm

Bingo Bango wrote:hello!

And for every concievable reason also - its not the right material, it doesnt 'fit in', its too big, its too small, its late, its for the wrong purpose, in the wrong location, etc, etc, etc.

........................ .

....it isn't Victorian, wasn't designed by <insert your favourite dead architect here>, it'll block my view of the side of the City Hall etc etc etc :roll:
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bingo Bango » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:26 pm

onyirtodd wrote:
Bingo Bango wrote:hello!

........................ .

....it isn't Victorian, wasn't designed by <insert your favourite dead architect here>, it'll block my view of the side of the City Hall etc etc etc :roll:

Jings, youve had it too?!! suddenly i feel better. (keep it quiet, but one of my projects has been the subject of a little discussion on here and skyscraper city - not all (any) good either. the dreaded glass box was mentioned here!)
Bingo Bango
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:36 pm

Bingo Bango wrote:
Jings, youve had it too?!! suddenly i feel better. (keep it quiet, but one of my projects has been the subject of a little discussion on here and skyscraper city - not all (any) good either. the dreaded glass box was mentioned here!)

I have an interest in Social Housing on a volunteer basis and discovered years ago that, no matter what designs you offer, you'll never please everybody. Indeed, you'll be lucky if you please anybody.

Fortunately I discovered early on that the one thing that vexes tenants more than design is the location of the bins. Get them squabbling about that early on in a meeting and you'll run out of time for the design question.
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:16 pm

If you need relevant qualifications to voice your opinions on our built environment then most of us had better give up now.

I do think architects get treated unfairly, when (as I understand it) their job of work is to take a given set of demands and create some structure to fit, along with their friendly neighbourhood structural engineer, yet they get singled out for any blame that's put about. And some people will never ever be happy. But the fact that somebody doesn't coo over yet another glass curtain wall, or indeed a 35-storey glass blancmange set at a rakish angle, doesn't automatically make them some mad mental reactionary, let alone a lover of mock Tudor 'executive' housing. For the record, there are some thoroughly 21st century buildings near my neck of the woods that I think are brilliant. I don't mind if anybody disagrees with me about them.

There's one thing we can surely all agree on though: a big bit fell off the Squinty Bridge due to a massive balls-up somewhere along the line.

PS I like pissing and moaning on internet forums. It's a laugh.

PPS The pyramids are overrated too. And they're in the wrong place.
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby Josef » Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:00 am

Lucky Poet wrote:PPS The pyramids are overrated too. And they're in the wrong place.

Alright, mission accomplished, you've got me curious now. Where should they be?
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:52 pm

Josef wrote:Where should they be?

All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby Josef » Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:08 pm

Great idea! I could never quite put my finger on what Cathcart Road was missing.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:08 pm

At least it helps to narrow down the location ::):
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby motman » Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:25 pm

I thought all that rubble was used to fill up the Princes and Queens Dock.
motman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)