First In Last Out

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

First In Last Out

Postby cachmagiro » Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:14 pm

Glasgow city centre during the latter half of the 1700's, as many of you will know, was considered
one of the most architecturally beautiful city centres' in Europe.

I used to own a business up in West Regent St just down from Blythswood Sq and I frequently went
up through the skylight window to view the city from the roof....marvelous.
The place (the city centre) fascinates me, but I never had the time to delve into the subject of the
transformation of what, in the 1700's, was a residential area and which, a century later, transformed
itself into a business area.

Does anyone by chance have any information regarding the first business to locate into that
residential area, (Blythswood sq & surrounding streets) and who was the last private resident
to give up their house to the business market.

It's a long shot asking this question, but perhaps the subject has intrigued someone else. :idea:

Cheers,
cashmagiro
cashmagiro, wae a "S" no a "C"
....ah made a mistake when ah registered. tsk...numpty
cachmagiro
First Stripe
First Stripe

Re: First In Last Out

Postby Schiehallion » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:30 pm

That is a long shot wanting the names! Blythswood ruined a few businessmen and I don't mean the ladies of the night! Blythswood didn't really begin until 1800 when Bannatyne, Cleland and Jack bought lands and created a street running up to the Blyth Woods. Strangely however Bannatyne started concentrating on building in George Square. Instead a William Harley started building up towards Blythswood, building the baths that gave name to Bath Street and building mansions near to present day Blythswood Square.

In 1814 Harley hit financial difficulties and his developments were put in the hands of trustees who subsequently also went bankrupt! The Garden family took over and Hamilton William Garden put in most of the spade work you see today, but he too went bust and his affairs were looked after by trustees. He eventually fled to the USA in the 1830's to escape his troubles.

Another developer, Thomas Burns tried to build on the site and he too failed in his business dealings!

All this was happening between 1800 and 1830. Everyone who tried to redevelop Blythswood had tried to make it exclusively domestic but it plainly wasn't working and by the 1840's onwards, Blythswood went commercial. So it was really through financial necessity that Blythswood, the proposed residential haven up the hill had to let the commercial businesses in quickly!
Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:01 pm

How interesting - excellent reply!
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby glasgowken » Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:28 pm

One of the best replies i've seen on HG :) I didn't know any of that until now.
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby viceroy » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:00 pm

But I believe Blythswood Square was still very much a prestigious private address in the 1850’s. Madeleine Smith was living at no. 7 Blythswood Square in 1855 together with her parents and six brothers and sisters. She of course, as everybody knows, poisoned her lover Pierre Emile L’Angelier with arsenic and was then tried for his murder but got off with it via a Not Proven verdict.

Incidentally, Madeleine Smith’s father, James Smith, was an architect, albeit not a very distinguished one apparently. Ibrox Parish Church at the top of Carillon Road was designed by him. I wonder whether any more of his buildings still exist.
viceroy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Schiehallion » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:05 pm

viceroy wrote:But I believe Blythswood Square was still very much a prestigious private address in the 1850’s. Madeleine Smith was living at no. 7 Blythswood Square in 1855 together with her parents and six brothers and sisters. She of course, as everybody knows, poisoned her lover Pierre Emile L’Angelier with arsenic and was then tried for his murder but got off with it via a Not Proven verdict.

L'Angelier's grave is in the Ramshorn Kirk cemetery.
Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cachmagiro » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:32 pm

Thank you for a very informative reply Schiehallion...appreciated.

It was indeed a long shot as I said asking such a question, however the more I become
accustomed to HG the more I realize just how knowledgable you guys in here are.

I've seen an image of an engraving showing St Vincent St in the mid 1700's near the
top of the hill just before it becomes level, and parallel to, the south side of Blythswood Square.
The area was most definitely residential with residents of the upper classes in Glasgow of that era.
St Vincent St looked soooo peaceful and must have been a most desirable place to live.

The premises I owned were so fascinating to me simply because I knew it had been a home for
someone a 100 yrs or so before I moved in. It even had a strong room inside with an extremely
heavy iron door with a huge old fashioned lock and key.

My limited knowledge varies slightly from yours regarding the area in question though.
Never-the-less, as far as I'm lead to believe there was still private residents
enjoying the pleasures of living in luxury in Blythswood Sq around the late 1890's.
Indeed there was a famous court case held in Glasgow about that time in which some of
the defendants were bankers who lived in Blythswood Sq.

The case was regarding the "Glasgow Bank of Scotland" (I believe) and the
bankers were accused of bringing down that particular bank (GBS).
The case apparently was much bigger than the Nick Leeson case of 100 years later.

I know my information is very sketchy, but as I said my knowledge of all this is very limited.

My thanks to you also viceroy.

cashmagiro
cachmagiro
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Schiehallion » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:59 am

cachmagiro wrote:I've seen an image of an engraving showing St Vincent St in the mid 1700's near the
top of the hill just before it becomes level, and parallel to, the south side of Blythswood Square.
The area was most definitely residential with residents of the upper classes in Glasgow of that era.
St Vincent St looked soooo peaceful and must have been a most desirable place to live.

Sorry Cash but either you're recollecting the date wrongly or the engraving is wrongly dated. St Vincent Street was created in 1804.

Check out Charles Ross's 1773 map (click on the top left of the map before zooming in) which shows Glasgow extending as far as Ingram St and St Enoch Square.
http://www.nls.uk/maps/early/641.html

Then Richardson's excellent 1795 map which shows Glasgow bounded on the west by Buchanan St created 15 years before and the St Enoch burn. You can see the trees of blythswood below the house of Saughyhall.
http://www.nls.uk/maps/early/counties.cfm?id=645

Fleming's 1807 map is brilliant for showing the new town in it's infancy. Click on the top left panel and you'll see Harley and Cleland mentioned whom I mentioned as early land owners. The streets have been laid out as far as Blythswood Square but building is very much in its' infancy.
http://www.nls.uk/maps/early/788.html

By 1832 the new town is beginning to become built up.
http://www.nls.uk/maps/early/towns.cfm?id=786

cachmagiro wrote:Never-the-less, as far as I'm lead to believe there was still private residents
enjoying the pleasures of living in luxury in Blythswood Sq around the late 1890's.

I only said in Blythswood's early days, commercial business moved in to what was to have been a residential development. Obviously some town houses remained residential but definitely not as many as originally planned!
Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cachmagiro » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:20 pm

Schiehallion wrote:Sorry Cash but either you're recollecting the date wrongly or the engraving is wrongly dated. St Vincent Street was created in 1804.

Check out Charles Ross's 1773 map (click on the top left of the map before zooming in) which shows Glasgow extending as far as Ingram St and St Enoch Square.
http://www.nls.uk/maps/early/641.html

Then Richardson's excellent 1795 map which shows Glasgow bounded on the west by Buchanan St created 15 years before and the St Enoch burn. You can see the trees of blythswood below the house of Saughyhall.
http://www.nls.uk/maps/early/counties.cfm?id=645

Fleming's 1807 map is brilliant for showing the new town in it's infancy. Click on the top left panel and you'll see Harley and Cleland mentioned whom I mentioned as early land owners. The streets have been laid out as far as Blythswood Square but building is very much in its' infancy.
http://www.nls.uk/maps/early/788.html

By 1832 the new town is beginning to become built up.
http://www.nls.uk/maps/early/towns.cfm?id=786

I only said in Blythswood's early days, commercial business moved in to what was to have been a residential development. Obviously some town houses remained residential but definitely not as many as originally planned!

It won't be the engraving that's wrong Schiehallion it's sure to be me.

However, Glasgow was still known then as the most beautiful of cities, pity it still wasn't but the present city fathers are doing what they can I suppose.

I've still to view your maps in greater detail but, they're fantastic....thank you for posting in the links, I bet other members will enjoy them also.

My information is that the area around Blythswood Sq etc was encroached upon by the commercial sector in order to accommodate a real shortage of business premises in Glasgow city centre, so the private homes were bought by business's as they became available, and that's the only reason the private sector gradually moved out.

As far as I'm aware there were no commercial premises up there on the hill and surrounds.

Can you imagine what it must have been like before that area was built upon, what a view...wheww.

cashmagiro
cachmagiro
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:07 am

Allan and Ferguson's Views in Glasgow, from Glasgow University's Special Collections :)

View from the North-West corner of Blythswood Square

Blythswood Square was laid out between 1823 and 1829 and surrounded by four terraces of large houses three of which now are used as offices. The facades were executed by John Brash (fl.1801-1838/9) and now the entire east side is occupied by the Royal Scottish Automobile Club. The view looks towards the villas and terraces in the west end of the city.
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby cachmagiro » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:19 pm

crusty_bint wrote:Allan and Ferguson's Views in Glasgow, from Glasgow University's Special Collections :)

View from the North-West corner of Blythswood Square

Blythswood Square was laid out between 1823 and 1829 and surrounded by four terraces of large houses three of which now are used as offices. The facades were executed by John Brash (fl.1801-1838/9) and now the entire east side is occupied by the Royal Scottish Automobile Club. The view looks towards the villas and terraces in the west end of the city.

Loooove it crusty_bint, 'specially the full size version, very clear print for the age. (love your name as well btw)
The street going down the hill at the top left of the picture must be Blythswood Street :?:
I wonder if the little buildings in the centre are original or built somewhere around the same time as the others,
and what their purpose was....residential I 'spose.

Oh to have lived back then and had money to enjoy the finer aspects of Glasgow life.
I love the clothes they wore in society back then...all frills and knickers, well = knickerbockers.
Crackin' name that, knickerbockers, just rolls aff the tongue, knickerbockers.

Hah, you'll all be saying that in your sleep tonight, knickerbockers. :mrgreen:

cashmagiro
cachmagiro
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:39 pm

The area of George Square was part of the Ramshorn Croft. In 1609 it became the property of George Hutcheson. It was leased out to a number of small crofters. In 1703 the crofters requested a review of their rent due to the land being unprofitable. It then acquired a new value through the demand demand for building purposes.

This district was outside the city limits and in 1772 the lands of Ramshorn were purchased to extend the city boundary due to the number of people living outside the city beyond the bounds of Royalty and being free from tax.

Just to support what Schiehallion has stated.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:04 am

Oh to have lived back then and had money to enjoy the finer aspects of Glasgow life.

You're a peasant now and you would have a peasant them. Dream on.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:25 am

Said the Count of Cool. :roll:
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:45 am

Have you ever seen anyone put under hypnosis to relive their life as Baldrick. No me neither.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)