City Deer

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: City Deer

Postby BrigitDoon » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:51 pm

My Dad keeps 4 acres in Somerset and allows his neighbours to keep their livestock on it. Both have the right to shoot dogs that are not under "close control" (There is a public footpath that runs across the land.) There are laws governing hunting with dogs.

I don't know how it works here.
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:15 am

ET

Deer green place is a road hazard

DRIVERS on Glasgow's two motorways are facing a new danger on the roads - randy deer looking to mate.
Electronic warning signs have appeared at various spots along the M8 and M77 alerting drivers of the hazard.
The prominent signals have popped up in the middle of the animals' mating season, which lasts until next month.
Drivers travelling along the M80, A82, A9 near Dunkeld, Perthshire, and the A87 around Glencoe - which all have sizeable deer populations nearby - have also been warned of the potential dangers.
The Scottish Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals said there were 313 calls about collisions with deer last year.

Drivers in and around Glasgow are increasingly facing the danger of hitting a deer
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lone Groover » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:05 pm

Now, how do we encourage the Neds to follow this mating ritual - "Puredead brilliant sex man !"
"Work hard, Rock Hard, Eat hard, Sleep hard, Grow big, Wear glasses if you need 'em"
Flickr photos - If you can stand them !
www.flickr.com/photos/davetrott/
Lone Groover
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:11 pm

That's going to hum once the sun warms it up. :(
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Best Place to Spot Urban Deer

Postby bAzTNM » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:13 pm

Hi!

Just wanting to know what areas of Glasgow are you likely to find a lot of urban deer hanging about? I'm finding Cowlairs Park has a ton of them. Saw three this morning.

Thanks!
bAzTNM
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: Best Place to Spot Urban Deer

Postby War Baby » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:22 pm

I know a place, but I am not saying where it is. I have heard of people killing them. ...I noticed this in a newspaper some time ago. There is always that element of folk that won't let animals live in peace.
Animals have a tough time of it.

Its at the east end of the city. I saw three of them at once, very young looking animals... They stood as though transfixed and watched me without moving until I walked by.
War Baby
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby robertpool » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:01 pm

around Hogganfield Loch
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby viceroy » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:52 pm

I'm pretty sure this has been dealt with before. I think there may well be a thread lying around on this very topic.
viceroy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:06 pm

Indeed there is. Search, bAzTNM, search!
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby bAzTNM » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:13 pm

Sorry about that!

Sighthill Park and Cowlairs Park are absolutely hoaching with them the last few weeks. Tons of them.
Last edited by bAzTNM on Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bAzTNM
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:17 pm

:) It's good to know the urban deer are still doing ok. From the sounds of it, very ok.
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:11 pm

When I lived in Airdrie, there were tons of them right outside our back door and they were running around at daybreak. This was down from the 'Moss' a former coal pit area and the Deer made their way through the housing estate where we lived. It was a beautiful sight but on the other hand a rather treacherous journey in the morning if we were going to Cumbernauld. As the road through Staines, etc was literally brought to a standstill with them. They can do some carnage on a road to a car!

I've also seen one rogue Deer in a park in the West End of Glasgow, again early doors but it's not my intention to say which park as it will end up in someone's freezer or with a homemade crossbow arrow sticking out of it, courtesy of an eejit.
"Listen, it's too big a world to be in competition with everyone. The only person who I have to be better than is myself. And in your case, that's enough."
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tobester » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:26 pm

Ive seen one that hangs about the land around the signal box at cowlair west junction, just as you leave ashfield heading back down to queen st, sometimes on the ashfield side sometimes in the wee bit of scrub between the junctions
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby bAzTNM » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:47 am

May have been the one that I spotted just before Sighthill Park (Fountainwell Road?). Seems to be a "game" one around there that will fly in front of cars.

ADDED: There is a deer attacking people in Cumbernauld and they have used the scariest deer picture to illustrate their point..
http://www.cumbernauld-news.co.uk/news/ ... -1-2403006

MIGHT AS WELL ADD THIS: Spotted one on the Clyde Walkway past Belvidere in 2006. You used to see a lot of them up that way. Chased away by the building works no doubt.
bAzTNM
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby bAzTNM » Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:17 pm

Saw a few behind the Scottish Canals HQ at Port Dundas today and also had a verbal fight with some guy who appears to be living in a tent there saying that whole area is private and "belongs to him". What a weirdo.

Watch out if you go around that way. He doesn't seem very friendly at all.
bAzTNM
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)