City Deer

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Doh! A deer...

Postby gap74 » Sat Apr 30, 2005 3:09 am

Read this story in tonight's Evening Times about deer being spotted in the grounds of the Western Infirmary with interest - I stumbled on one a couple of weeks ago whilst walking the dog round the site of Newton House in Cambuslang. It jumped out of the undergrowth and bounded towards the Clyde, it's wee white tail bobbing up and down along the way. Annoyed I had neither my camera nor the time to have done anything with it had I brought it, I went on way...

But tonight, I just happened to be taking pics from the top of the bing behind the village of Newton itself, when what do I see...

Gary
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DickyHart » Sat Apr 30, 2005 4:12 am

lets just hope the neds from the circuit/westburn etc don't find out about it, or that poor thing is in for a hard time.
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Captain Brittles » Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:52 pm

I never been quick enough to capture a pic of the deer I've seen many times when out & about along the North Calder. Well done Gary.
Captain Brittles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Mo Deer Mo Deer Mo Deer

Postby Doberman » Tue May 10, 2005 8:17 pm

Walking along the Garnkirk railway line, behind Moodiesburn, with the dog the other week. I heard a loud splashing in the burn down below the embankment and a Roe deer hind with two young following, shot across the pathway literally 20 feet away. They continued up the embankment and into a field at the top.

The dog was so surprised that he stood for a full 20 seconds, then decided to chase the deer, now travelling at warp 1 about 300 yards away. needless to say he had no chance.

What's really annoying is I had just taken a shot of the railway line and my camera was writing to the memory card when the animals passed us! :(

Nice shot gary. I'll keep trying.
Doberman
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby clydebankcelt » Tue May 10, 2005 9:57 pm

Seen a deer on saturday morning running about on the road leading to the Expressway at Victoria Park. It looked helluva disorientated. Poor thing.
clydebankcelt
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby glasgowgub » Fri May 13, 2005 9:05 pm

See them fairly regularly at Linn cemetary on the South side. Last year i seen 5 (looked like maw,paw and the weans) come up from the River Cart and bound over the gravestones like kangaroos. Last month i seen one running around a street near the Linn Park. Surprised one of the Castlemilk residents wasnt chasing after it with a Knife and fork :)
glasgowgub
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby JoeyCape » Sun May 15, 2005 2:19 am

Anyone else caught sight of the deer in the Necropolis? I'm sure I did early one Sunday morning, although I was very hung over/possibly still drunk.
JoeyCape
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby DMcNay » Mon May 16, 2005 11:23 am

JoeyCape wrote:Anyone else caught sight of the deer in the Necropolis? I'm sure I did early one Sunday morning, although I was very hung over/possibly still drunk.

Aye. Think I might have a photo of them as well somewhere...
DMcNay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scotia47 » Mon May 16, 2005 11:31 am

Saw a young deer running north along the railway line near Hyndland on Saturday afternoon.
scotia47
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Sharon » Mon May 16, 2005 12:35 pm

The Necropolis deer at the cathedral a few weeks ago.

I might have another shot of them in teh qaurry part of the neropolis too somewhere.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Mo Deer Mo Deer Mo Deer

Postby JayKay » Mon May 16, 2005 3:00 pm

Doberman wrote:Walking along the Garnkirk railway line, behind Moodiesburn, .

I've seen them around Moodiesburn quite regularly. Last week I spotted a group of four by the Devro factory.
*value of posts can go down as well as up.
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fat Cat » Mon May 16, 2005 3:23 pm

I work in the Royal and used to see two of the deer every day at the Cathedral. Think they must be the two who moved westward to the Western, maybe visiting all hospitals in the Glasgow area, who can say. :?

The neds did give them a hard time around here, but when you phone the SSPCA you get the usual "just leave them, they'll be fine". Yeah, right. The big female was found dead in the Necropolis last year, probably chased to it's death by dogs or the neds killed it.
You Stay Classy, San Diego
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:01 pm

ant wrote:Did anyone see the news report on BBC Scotland last night about the attacks on deer in the Necropolis. According to the report there used to be a large family of deer living in the grounds. Unfortunately they have been targeted by individuals who were going into the grounds in the middle of the night with air pistols and dogs attacking and killiing them. A spokesperson for the RSPCA said that he could confirm that no deer are now living in the Necropolis.
Seems pretty sad.

There was a family living there nearly 2 years ago, a male, female and a young deer. The mother was shot and killed with a crossbow and after that the father and young never returned. It is thought, as deer are naturally transient, that the father and young survived and moved to a new habitat, possibly at Ruchill.
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby e2wufos1 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:27 pm

That is very sad I mean what have the deer ever done to these half wits?

I know of a place in the Eastend where the deer roam but i'll not give the location sometimes when passing on the way to the mother in laws we see them grazing.

One day i'll have my camera with me and get a couple of shots of them.

Jim
e2wufos1
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Fat Cat » Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:12 pm

The deer have long gone from the Necropolis. Chased by thugs. What on earth would possess anyone to thing that killing a living creature is entertaining or fun?

Why would you own a crossbow in the first place, if not to kill animals?
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)