Old Glasgow Tram Ticket Machines

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Old Glasgow Tram Ticket Machines

Postby robertpool » Mon Dec 24, 2007 6:33 pm

Does anyone know where l can buy red ink for an old Glasgow Tram 'TIM' ticket machine. The last ticket issued was on 2nd September 1959. I am sure there are a few enthusiasts out there who know where l can get some ink.

Thanks
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Old Glasgow Tram Ticket Machines

Postby glasgowken » Mon Dec 24, 2007 6:53 pm

John Kennedy at,
<admin edit> Probably best to PM with an email address, eh? </edit>
may be able to help.
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Mon Dec 24, 2007 8:09 pm

Awwwl, it's his public email address, he uses it on his site and ads, etc ::):
I'll have to look it up again now. work work work.
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby smartie » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:58 am

franking machine ink should be readily avaialable from most stationers....
smartie
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby johnnyanglia » Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:48 pm

I dont know if this is of any interest, The Transport Museum has in its collection(not on public display) a lot of machinery relating to Glasgow's tram system. I spent a bit of time there as a voluntary conservator and saw some wonderful things including the giraffe they had in storage !
Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings
johnnyanglia
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby applemaca » Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:06 pm

johnnyanglia wrote:I dont know if this is of any interest, The Transport Museum has in its collection(not on public display) a lot of machinery relating to Glasgow's tram system. I spent a bit of time there as a voluntary conservator and saw some wonderful things including the giraffe they had in storage !

WOW! The GCT had a giraffe?...... :wink:
applemaca
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:44 pm

It was on the maintenance team, those tram wires are pretty high :wink:
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby johnnyanglia » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:31 pm

The giraffe was pretty mangy, It probably was as old as the trams. My Father recently inherited a load of stuff which had belonged to his grandfather who worked on the trams between the mid 20's and mid 50's. Most of it consists of paperwork, regulation books, union stuff etc. If any of the transport forum users want to see it at any point PM me.
Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings
johnnyanglia
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby trolleybus » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:24 am

johnnyanglia wrote:[snip]
My Father recently inherited a load of stuff which had belonged to his grandfather who worked on the trams between the mid 20's and mid 50's. Most of it consists of paperwork, regulation books, union stuff etc. If any of the transport forum users want to see it at any point PM me.

interesting collection of paperwork I am sure.

In case you are unaware Standard Glasgow Tram No.488 has been in Paris for the last 50 years but will eventually make its way to the East Anglia Transport Museum via the Ffestiniog Railway's Boston Works where a full restoration to working order will be undertaken. I have created a web site to follow the restoration progress and it can be found at http://www.488.cyberpictures.net

The paperwork you have could contain some gems which if scanned might usefully find there way to the pages of this site, either as embellishments such as the cover of a regulation book or maybe a full document[s]. Even better if there are some pictures or drawings available that I could use. Please make contact by the method easiest for you or call 01252 758123.

Do surf through the pages of the web site and let others know who might be interested in this project. As a suggestion, placing the web site address on the links page of web site you know about.

David Bradley
trolleybus
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Josef » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:49 pm

trolleybus wrote:the East Anglia Transport Museum

Where's that, precisely? I'm down that way now and again, so can report back.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby trolleybus » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:02 pm

Josef wrote:
trolleybus wrote:the East Anglia Transport Museum

Where's that, precisely? I'm down that way now and again, so can report back.

Remember the restoration of the tram starts next month and is scheduled to take about 2 years. So EATMS won't see the tram until 2015 at best.

The EATMS web site at: http://www.eatm.org.uk/index.html says they are situated just 3 miles south-west of Lowestoft, just off the A146 Lowestoft to Norwich road. There are brown ‘tourist’ signs from Lowestoft Town Centre, Oulton Broad and in Carlton Colville itself.

On the A12 northbound the museum site is clearly signposted from the South Lowestoft Industrial Estate roundabout (near the drive-through McDonalds). For Sat-Nav and Route planner users their postcode is NR33 8BL

David Bradley
trolleybus
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby darrel » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:42 am

ask down at the tram depot at Summerlee heritage centre coatbridge. I know they had ink probably still do they could tell you where they got it from.
http://darrels.smugmug.com/
darrel
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby stranger » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:01 pm

trolleybus wrote:
johnnyanglia wrote:
In case you are unaware Standard Glasgow Tram No.488 has been in Paris for the last 50 years but will eventually make its way to the East Anglia Transport Museum via the Ffestiniog Railway's Boston Works where a full restoration to working order will be undertaken. I have created a web site to follow the restoration progress and it can be found at http://www.488.cyberpictures.net

David Bradley

Hi David, I would really like to look around your site but I can't as you have used Flash player for your navigation menu, there are some devices, ipad especially, which will be unable to use your site.
stranger
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby trolleybus » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:41 am

stranger wrote:
trolleybus wrote:
johnnyanglia wrote:

David Bradley

Hi David, I would really like to look around your site but I can't as you have used Flash player for your navigation menu, there are some devices, ipad especially, which will be unable to use your site.

Of course even where Flash Player could be used it is either not installed or enabled and there are some devices which inexplicably can't handle flash anyway. So as webmaster I either have to stop using flash or provide an alternative text based menu. I have decided on the latter which can be found at the bottom of each page. It is slightly out of date at present but you will be able to get at most of the pages. I'll bring it up to date shortly.

I do work to web standards but there are now a multitude of operating systems, browsers and a huge range of hand held devices, laptops and traditional desktops on which the site can be viewed. The 488 web site has been designed by a transport enthusiast, not a professional, to work with the vast majority of devices, however the effort to incorporate "if/then/else" statements in the coding to suit all devices and hardware would be considerable.

The table below shows the number of visitors to the site so far together with device details they were using. 98% of the visitors would see the site as intended but unfortunately 278 visitors would have a less than satisfactory experience; I don't like that thought but unfortunately lack the skills, and time, to make it perfect for everyone. I hope you understand my position.

Internet Explorer - 14,452 - 61.3 %
Firefox - 3,872 - 16.4 %
Google Chrome - 3,164 - 13.4 %
Safari - 1,548 - 6.5 %
Opera - 114 - 0.4 %
Mozilla - 37 - 0.1 %
Android browser (PDA/Phone browser) - 170 - 0.7 %
IPhone (PDA/Phone browser) - 68 - 0.2 %
Vodaphone browser (PDA/Phone browser) - 40 - 0.1 %

David Bradley
trolleybus
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby stranger » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:05 pm

Hi David, thanks for the quick response, I look forward to browsing the site.

I also run a couple of websites so I understand how difficult it can be to make a site that runs on everything.
stranger
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)