Glasgow Central Stop and Search

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Glasgow Central Stop and Search

Postby gap74 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:36 pm

So it's alright for their photographers to stick cameras up celebrity skirts and to take pics of folk dying in a car crash, but us plebs get the police called on us should we happen to take photos of a station and don't look 100% respectable?

As for running away, I'd run like fuck too if I found out I was within 50 feet of a Sun reporter....
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:06 am

Note this story of a campaign led by the Chartered Institute of Journalists (CIOJ), the British Press Photographers Association and the National Union of Journalists, regarding, among other things, their rights to take photos.

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/ne ... 15144.html

I assume the Sun "journalist" is a member of at least one of these organisations. I wonder how they feel about one of their members being such a stupid prick. Although due to the fact he works for the Sun they probably already know that.
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:51 am

Any party issues aside, Austin Mitchell has introduced an early day motion in Westminster (titter ye not). If you feel strongly about this, email your MP to encourage them to sign up to it:
Early Day Motion
PHOTOGRAPHY IN PUBLIC AREAS

Mitchell, Austin

“That this House is concerned to encourage the spread and enjoyment of photography as the most genuine and accessible people's art; deplores the apparent increase in the number of reported incidents in which the police community support officers (PCSOs) or wardens attempt to stop street photography and order the deletion of photographs or the confiscation of cards, cameras or film on various specious ground such as claims that some public buildings are strategic or sensitive, that children and adults can only be photographed with their written permission, that photographs of police and PCSOs are illegal, or that photographs may be used by terrorists; points out that photography in public places and streets is not only enjoyable but perfectly legal; regrets all such efforts to stop, discourage or inhibit amateur photographers taking pictures in public places, many of which are in any case festooned with closed circuit television cameras; and urges the Home Office and the Association of Chief Police Officers to agree on a photography code for the information of officers on the ground, setting out the public's right to photograph public places thus allowing photographers to enjoy their hobby without officious interference or unjustified suspicion.”
Quite.

gap74 wrote:As for running away, I'd run like fuck too if I found out I was within 50 feet of a Sun reporter....

Too bloody right.
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby glasgowken » Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:56 am

I've just finished sending my MP an email urging him to support this.
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby robertpool » Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:51 pm

glasgowken wrote:I've just finished sending my MP an email urging him to support this.

I have done the same.

so what these buildings we are not allowed to photographs?
MOD in Argyle Street/brown Street? High Court? Banks? Post Offices? Schools? Colleges? Universities?
Churches, Chapels, Mosques, Synagogues?
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Verbal Kint » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:37 pm

Two weeks ago the police had a sniffer dog at Hillhead and I had the pleasure of it sniffing my crotch. Does anyone know what the purpose of this exercise was as it can't be sniffing for knives as per the latest BBC news report so what was the purpose? I was too drunk to ask why at the time but seems a little odd to say the least.
Verbal Kint
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Pgcc93 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:57 pm

There Passive response dogs sniffing out drugs (also explosives) and randomly deployed in Glasgow Central station from time to time.
You should've seen the look on the girls face who was on her way to college at 08.30am when the wee spaniel took a fancy to her at the ticket barriers and turned out a hauf cue from her rucksack. ::):
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dave2 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:42 pm

Taking photos on a station does require (technically) the permission of the owner (Network Rail or SPT) - stations are not public property........thus organisations like NR recommend that you approach the office at a station and tell teh staffw hat you are doing - at Central, IIRc they give you a visitors badge and ask you to return it afterwards. This is so they know what you are doing, and thus the staff don;t wonder why you are loitering.
dave2
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Buzby » Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:53 pm

However, the picture of St GeorgesX subway station was taken from the road/pavement and as such no permission is required. I just love it when some prat decides to make it his business that I cannot do something - the usual mantra (or at least spouted to me) was 'Health & safety'. It's never made clear who's H&S is being eroded.... even funnier, prior to the 1990's the term was never used!
- Raymond
Buzby
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Mori » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:49 pm

Stop-and-search blitz over armed thugs and drugs

A strong police presence will be visible in and around Glasgow city centre

Published on 3 Dec 2009

Suspected criminals will be stopped and searched on their way into Glasgow city centre tomorrow in a bid to target lawlessness and anti-social behaviour.
More than 160 additional officers from Strathclyde Police and the British Transport Police (BTP) will use metal detectors to target known troublemakers and suspects, whether they are in cars or using public transport.
The aim is to create a “ring of steel” around the city centre to prevent weapons and drugs being circulated and to reduce robberies and assaults.
The force’s figures show that robbery is 6% higher from November to January than it is during the summer. It is thought the seasonal increase is partly as a result of dark nights and the influx of Christmas shoppers
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby yoker brian » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:05 pm

Mori wrote:Stop-and-search blitz over armed thugs and drugs

A strong police presence will be visible in and around Glasgow city centre

Suspected criminals will be stopped and searched on their way into Glasgow city centre tomorrow in a bid to target lawlessness and anti-social behaviour.

More than 160 additional officers from Strathclyde Police and the British Transport Police (BTP) will use metal detectors to target known troublemakers and suspects, whether they are in cars or using public transport.

Great, brilliant use of taxpayers money - it's about time the authorities clamped down on the criminal element that blights the City Centre but can anyone tell me where these 160 extra police officers are on the remaining 50 Friday & Saturday nights of the year?

It's not just the criminal element, but there is a high level of anti-social behaviour, and blatant abuse / lack of respect for the law within the city centre, I also think the number of licensed premises needs to be looked at with stricter controls in place - I believe that Within the ½ mile square area of Glasgow City Centre there are more than 580 licensed premises including 400 pubs and 70 night-clubs, restaurants and hotels.
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:21 pm

there was a nice little police presence around Ibrox earlier today, cars and motorbikes around haggs road and pulling peeps into car park at broomloan flats
два сталкиваются
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:40 pm

yoker brian wrote: I believe that Within the ½ mile square area of Glasgow City Centre there are more than 580 licensed premises including 400 pubs and 70 night-clubs, restaurants and hotels.

What's the boundaries of your half mile square?
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Autolycus » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:08 am

Interesting interview on Today with the Chief Constable of British Transport Police who, if I picked him up correctly, also speaks for the Association of Chief Police Officers on media matters. He was insisting there was no need for police to 'stop and account' photographers in public places. He insisted he'd instructed police officers about this earlier in the year and would do so again today.
Autolycus
Autolycus
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby fourbytwo » Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:13 pm

:cry: ....in other words, the Police are getting fly to the fact that when they are 'going over the top' with such searches, many are just an excuse to levy power over the public....they are objecting to the possibility of someone taking a photo or video showing them 'up to their tricks'....
Wonder if the policeman who brutely beat the protestor in London, probably causing his death...would have been reprimanded had the scene NOT been videoed by a member of the public...
Remember to watch just who is being stopped at these barriers.....just because you wear a hooded top or denims, does not make you undesirable...or does it..?
People guilty of stabbings and assault at pubs and nightclubs, do not get into such premises wearing these clothes, so who gets in...and how do you single them out for attention...that's where the fascist attitudes of many policemen are allowed free reign...however....
If the Police are stating that most of the city centre problems are eminating from train travellers, then by all means search away.....but I for one will stop travelling by rail, in case I meet any of these 'hardened crimals'... ::):
fourbytwo
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)