Postby engineer » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:38 pm

loudon tavern is waaaay ahead of you
engineer
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Gay Glasgow

Postby Giblets On Croute » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:57 pm

Mark N wrote:
Giblets On Croute wrote:Why not go the whole hog and open clubs/pubs for every minority group in Glasgow? And then have special parades down Argyle Street every year, just to tell everyone about their groups?

My initial reaction to comments like this is usually to be staggered that someone can be so crass.....then after a while I find that I'm almost glad they said them. Sometimes it's a useful reality check to realise that there are still people around with bigoted, outdated views and to remind oneself that perhaps we're not quite as far forward as we think.

Get over yourself ffs
It's business , not personal.
Giblets On Croute
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Mark N » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:21 pm

Giblets On Croute wrote:Get over yourself ffs

No.
Flickr-ing me: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dogdriller/
Mark N
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:28 pm

I don't know what age you are, GOC, but I'm old enough to remember gays being given a seriously hard time at school, in the workplace, and most anywhere, really, with the exception of a few enlightened enclaves. And gay clubs, obviously. Verbal abuse was virtually taken for granted and physical assault was common.

I have a friend from University who only 'came out' in his mid-thirties, because it was only then that he felt secure enough not to be worried about the consequences.

Don't most, if not all, minorities in Glasgow already have 'their' pubs already in any case? And parades - well the Norwegians used to march down Woodlands Road every year on their National Day (the sight of hulking blokes frantically waving tiny wee plastic flags never failed to amuse me). A cavalcade of cars waving Kosovan flags and St Andrews flags passed me a few days ago.

In my opinion (and I have no idea if it is shared by gay men) the Pride parades originated not to tell people that they existed but as a mark of much-needed defiance. The equivalent of the Civil Rights marches in the States that finally won equal rights for blacks. You can try to divide and conquer, but we' stand united.

And bloody good on them.

Your post, on the other hand, rather reeked of bitterness and resentment.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sharon » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:21 pm

Pretty much all the points have been made already as to why gay clubs exist - for social and dating reasons - its not complicated (demographic supply and demand if you like), and as to why the pride parades are still felt to be needed and will continue to be needed until truely noone see being gay as something wrong / bad / dirty / and hidden beinhd closed doors as something to be ashamed of.

Question is GOC, why do you have a problem with it? because your post smacks of open homophobia which will not be tolerated here.
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby duck » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:47 pm

Josef
I want to thank you - so , so much. your post made my eyes sting.
I just wish the likes of Elgee and GOC would read what you said and understand.
And hopefully they might know what this means and ..........
duck
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby duck » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:56 pm

Question is GOC, why do you have a problem with it? because your post smacks of open homophobia which will not be tolerated here

Sharon is a goddess
duck
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:00 pm

:D :D
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby JumpingAtTheWoodside » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:47 pm

It's depressing to note that there are still unenlightened people out there. To the guy who asked if all minorities would be parading through Glasgow- well why not? It adds to the gaiety of the nation. Get over yourself.
JumpingAtTheWoodside
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Mark N » Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:51 am

Whilst we're on the subject of parades etc, it seems that this this year's Pride is becoming a bit of a hot potato. From what I can gather, there is usually a 'Pride Scotia' event which alternates between Edinburgh & Glasgow (with it being Glasgow's turn this year) - however it seems that the Glasgow side have split from the main organisation and are planning their own "Pride Glasgow" event this year. Though so far it's not clear if this will be an annual event or still alternate with Scotia/Edinburgh.

http://www.pride-scotia.org/
http://www.bebo.com/prideglasgow
http://www.myspace.com/prideglasgow
Flickr-ing me: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dogdriller/
Mark N
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby maccoinnich » Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:03 am

Ugh. That bebo page is enough to make me homophobic.
maccoinnich
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Ben » Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:52 am

I can't say I'm a big fan of the whistle-blowing, rainbow flag waving groups - I can understand the purpose of these events, but worry that they are now beginning to alienate themselves rather than include themselves in the mainstream.
Ben
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Giblets On Croute » Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:36 pm

Exactly!
It's business , not personal.
Giblets On Croute
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:22 pm

I wonder what the story is behind that split. It seems an odd move on the face of it, it's not like Scotland's a huge country that can sustain umpteen parallel organisations. Slight shades of Judean People's Front/People's Front of Judea there.

Giblets On Croute wrote:Exactly!

Exactly what? You're also worried by the possibility of alienation from the mainstream? (If I was being awkward I might point out that the 'mainstream' sleeps with people of the opposite sex.)
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby JumpingAtTheWoodside » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:40 pm

Predictions for this year's Pride-

SheBoom will be making their usual aimless racket, Carol Laula will wow the crowd with a medley of her hit, an unknown boyband will fluff miming to their tapes, and the whole thing will get no media coverage whatsoever.
JumpingAtTheWoodside
First Stripe
First Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)