Driving in the Dear Green Place.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Driving in the Dear Green Place.

Postby scotty » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:54 pm

I know its not city centre, but i've hit potholes on the M8 before! Did Scotland not take the crown for the best (M74) and worst (M8) UK motorways in some survey? Think it was for congestion tho. :roll:
Scott
scotty
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Bing Buzby » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:02 am

The rise of the 'Challenging Pedestrian' is a pain in the arse. Why do some morons find it self affirming to walk out in front of cars and then stare at drivers while they take a leisurely stroll through the traffic? Is their life really that empty?

I know that pedestrians have right of way and too often cars charge at them, but the munters I mean are those bipeds that think they are 'ard for facing down a motor. And I hate to add, but I find aggressive crossing more common in the poorer areas of the city.
Bing Buzby
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:06 am

Bing Buzby wrote:
I know that pedestrians have right of way and too often cars charge at them, but the munters I mean are those bipeds that think they are 'ard for facing down a motor. And I hate to add, but I find aggressive crossing more common in the poorer areas of the city.

Probaly because they recognise middle class bastards using their street as a shortcut to and from suburbia.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bing Buzby » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:34 am

Dexter St. Clair wrote:Probaly because they recognise middle class bastards using their street as a shortcut to and from suburbia.

Next time you feel a need to strike a blow in the class war, feel free to walk in front of a car.
Bing Buzby
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Bingo Bango » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:50 am

My personal bug bear is cars that have been caught between the 2 sets of the same traffic lights, for example on the streets that cut Sauchiehall Street. Traffic backs up, then the lights change to red, then the cars move on and the cars in the middle (of the lights) think it is ok to blast through the second bit of the crossing even though the green man is on. I have been nearly hit on a few occasions now when crossing in this situation. The drivers seem oblivious.

I have also been on the other side of the dashboard, and had a horn blared at me as i didn't move through!
Bingo Bango
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby draugelis » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:29 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:
Bing Buzby wrote:

Probaly because they recognise middle class bastards using their street as a shortcut to and from suburbia.

And usually driving their German cars (with apologies to Trabant drivers!)
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - Tom Waits
draugelis
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:44 pm

Except for those driving Audi Q7 which Strathclyde's finest have noticed are the favourite drive of well known Glasgow business men (™ Pat Roller).

If you drive one you will be stopped and your car gone over on every occasion. If your model has tinted windows and a personalised plate expect a French Connection style car search.

Any lip will be rewarded with a Midnight Express body search
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:49 pm

Anybody caught using a patholocical egomobile like that in public deserves what's coming to them.

Penis substitute, that's all they are.

*Edit* Meaning this kind of monstrosity, may they all fall off a cliff:
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby Sunflower » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:58 pm

<RANT ALERT>
I'm fed up so far beyond the back teeth with the squads of careless, thoughtless, brainless, selfish, idiot drivers who can't be bothered to use their indicators. Is everyone else supposed to be clairvoyant? Did I miss the memo saying don't bother to signal? Do they think all that on-ing and offing will wear the damn things out? 8O :evil:
<RANT OFF>

Seriously though, nice HG driving people, join the fight back, make sure to signal coming up to a turn - even if you're in a lane that forces you in one direction, that's not always obvious to people (pedestrians or drivers) on the other side of the junction - it's just a friendly thing to do, to give other road users a clue about your intentions. Be nice, help make the world a better place. Pretty please :) 8)

(I can be a driver, cyclist or pedestrian and I'm noticing more and more of the signal-less driving, and it's just as annoying and frustrating whichever mode I'm in.)
Sunflower
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby purplepantman » Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:31 am

I hear you Sunflower! That's been getting worse for years that one. What I've noticed has got worse in my fifteen or so of driving is that people no longer want to wait for anything. They come up to a junction or roundabout and if there's even the smallest gap in the traffic - they're gone! Tough if you've got to slam on the anchors to accomodate them. And don't bother flashing you're lights and try to communicate to them that they're an arsehole coz they won't even know what you're talking about. Half the time they don't even know they've done it. Thats just the way they drive. What's the hurry? Why don't people just leave a few minutes earlier?
purplepantman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Sunflower » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:15 pm

It's all me me me these days, innit? Heigh-ho.
Sunflower
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:40 pm

Lucky Poet wrote:Anybody caught using a patholocical egomobile like that in public deserves what's coming to them.

Penis substitute, that's all they are.

*Edit* Meaning this kind of monstrosity, may they all fall off a cliff:

I used to own Audis because they were discreet. LP's assessment means I have no reason for owning a new one whatsoever.
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Boxer6 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:32 am

A comment I heard many years ago springs to mind reading this thread;

"Not every pedestrian is a motorist, but every motorist is a pedestrian".

Something to think about.
Some people hear voices.. Some see invisible people.. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Boxer6
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:43 am

Boxer6 wrote:A comment I heard many years ago springs to mind reading this thread;

"Not every pedestrian is a motorist, but every motorist is a pedestrian".

Something to think about.

I'm sure I' not the only one on here who can claim to be a motorist, pedestrian, cyclist, bus passenger, train commuter and as of a week ago occasional tram rider.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:17 pm

GCC

Driving or attempting to drive whilst above the legal alcohol limit will result in:

• Loss of licence – an automatic 12 month driving ban
• A risk of being fined up to £5,000
• A criminal record – for a minimum of 20 years
• An offence which stays on your licence for 11 years
• And can now result in seizure of the vehicle
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)