Driving in the Dear Green Place.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Driving in the Dear Green Place.

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:12 am

Milngavie is Scotland’s ‘boy racer’ hotspot

C'mon Bishopton you can do better.

"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:22 pm

Glorified car hire.

Herald

Published on 14 Feb 2010

Glasgow is about to set up its first car club in a drive to relieve some of the city’s most congested streets – and to reform the polluting habits of thousands of motorists.
The city council is hoping to follow in the footsteps of Edinburgh. The capital’s car club recently celebrated its 10th
anniversary, and boasts burgeoning membership figures.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby wahad » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:24 pm

I have recently given up my car to the scrapyard and due to economic necessities will not be replacing it. I would however consider hiring a car for the odd week or two during the year. I have been looking at various sites for hire rates and wonder if there are hidden costs to consider. Also have heard horror stories about being hit hard for damage you were unaware of when returning the car, even if you thought you had checked before accepting the vehicle.

I vaguely rememember a company called " Rent a Wreck " or suchlike which would have suited me, but no such outfits now seem to exist. Gone the way of Health and Safety no doubt.

Just wondering if anyone else has had need of occasional car hire and can offer any advice or caution.
wahad
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby BTJustice » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:20 pm

When hiring, just make sure you point out ANY scratches, no matter how small when doing the walkround with the person hiring you the car. As long as the damage is noted before you sign the agreement and you get a copy you cant get hit with the damage charge (unless of course you damage the car when you have it).

If you are hiring for a period of a few weeks you would be cheaper scouring the free ads and ebay for a £300 banger with a short MOT and tax. Buy the car, pay an insurance policy on a monthly basis and check the cancelation payment so you insure for a month then cancel the policy and sell the car.

This is my plan for holidays this year except the car will be a cadillac and I will drive it from San Francisco to LA, LA to Vegas and Vegas to San Fran via death valley. If the car survives I will bring it home.

Dave.
My all new film location website is here;
www.rewoundandfound.com

Check oot ma flickr page;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/route9autos/

For handmade jewellery, go to:
http://www.weegemjo.co.uk
BTJustice
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dave » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:47 pm

wahad wrote:Just wondering if anyone else has had need of occasional car hire and can offer any advice or caution.

Whilst I wholehearted agree with Dave you might wait for City Car Club to come to Glasgow
A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby wahad » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:53 pm

Thanks for advice. I am tempted by the short term banger suggestion. It being a banger and me being a worrier, I think I would have to factor AA membership or similar into cost. Are you intending to have any type of breakdown cover when travelling across America? After typing that, I realised you are a car enthusiast, so probably not.
wahad
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby BTJustice » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:05 pm

If you are canny and check the details then a lot of insurance companies will offer breakdown cover as part of the policy. If they dont then I think you can get cover from Green flag for about £25-£30.

In the states you can buy a 3 tow policy for about $40. As long as I can get the car to a hotel/motel I can fix it or find a garage from there. Looking to buy the car, flights and do the trip over 2 weeks for less than the cost of a package holiday week in Florida.
My all new film location website is here;
www.rewoundandfound.com

Check oot ma flickr page;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/route9autos/

For handmade jewellery, go to:
http://www.weegemjo.co.uk
BTJustice
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:16 pm

It was ten points for a granny last I heard, but how much is it for a pope? :)
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:22 pm

bit of a smash tonight at the duntreath flyover.driving school car looks to have smashed into the car in front and sent it across the other lane.hope theres no serious injuries or worse.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Autolycus » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:33 am

Anyone who's seen the work going on on the Sauchiehall Street/ Elderslie Street/ Berkeley Street/ Claremont Street area over the last weeks might like to know the workies reckon the traffic signals activation and traffic re-routing will start tomorrow, Sunday 14th March 2010. No specific time was given.

Work is expected to continue to construct a segregated cyclepath from Kelvingrove Park down Claremont Street > Berkeley Street > Elderslie Street > Argyle Street >Bridge to nowhere > somehow onto Waterloo Street (by 2014!).
Autolycus
Autolycus
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Josef » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:45 am

Do you know what drives me nuts? I live in one of the Glasgow areas where the Pedestrian Crossing buttons actually work, rather than (as in the City Centre) being notional.

But the logic appears to be that the red light waits for a gap in traffic before activating. Aye, cheers. When there's a gap in the traffic, I could have crossed the road anyway, thanks. What I want is to not have to wait ten minutes until that happens.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dave » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:07 am

All the traffic lights in the Strathclyde region used to use a standardised timer unit made by Tofco. I'm not sure if that is still the case but even still you shouldn't have had to have waited more than about 60 seconds to cross the road :D
A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:04 pm

Works have been going on since a couple of weeks now, i just discoverd we are to suffer for another 5 weeks at least... 8 weeks to lay a gaspipe. Image

BBC

A8 Paisley Road Glasgow City
eastbound between Govan Road and Seaward Street

underground services work roadworks restriction affecting unknown
A8 Glasgow City - Delays expected on Paisley Road eastbound , gas main work and restrictions between Govan Road and Seaward Street. Also affecting Mavisbank Gardens at A8 Paisley Road

Last updated: 5th March 2010 at 12:11, started: 5th March 2010, ending: 3rd May 2010
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby MungoDundas » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:25 pm

I'm completely lost by what Pyongyang think they'll achieve by
'improving' the Berkeley / Elderslie /Sauchiehall St
arrangement to their skewed vision.

Could've paid for a few necessary improvements at Care Homes
I'd wager.

Suggest next time that they club together, buy a motor car &
then drive about a little before they start tinkering any more
with our town.
Last edited by MungoDundas on Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MungoDundas
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby gap74 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:30 pm

Had a wander round on my break this afternoon, and the city centre grid was crawling with tow trucks, all with a warden on board ready to ticket and authorise towing - saw at least three cars getting hauled off in the space of ten minutes, with the other trucks positively patrolling like buzzards on a battlefield.

Now the cynic in me might wonder if this crackdown is perhaps the result of the approaching end of the financial year, and a last gasp attempt to make up numbers, but they don't operate to targets, of course....
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)