GREEN GLASGOW

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: GREEN GLASGOW

Postby Mori » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:45 pm

Council plans to open its own wind farm

Views of public sought on ambitious proposal to reduce city’s carbon footprint

Glasgow City Council has announced ambitious plans to build the city’s first wind farm.

Five turbines, each 125 metres tall, with rotors extending 35m, would be used to power all traffic and street lights in the city.

The development would generate savings of around £3m a year, which the council would plough back into the community, and reduce the city’s carbon footprint.

If the move is supported, the city would be the first in the UK to produce its own power.

It would also lead to a reduction in emissions of greenhouse gases through a decrease in the use of the council’s reliance on fossil fuels.

Cutting carbon emissions by 20% over the next five years is a key priority for the Council.

The authority recently announced plans to introduce a programme of energy efficiency measures aimed at creating a 10% reduction in consumption by 2008-09.

This new proposal to use renewable energy to power the city’s 67,000 street lights and 500 sets of traffic lights is seen as a major step towards making Glasgow a green city.

The lifespan of a wind turbine is about 20 years.

Your Opinion

The Council is keen to hear what the people of Glasgow think about the principle of the authority having its own wind farm, and ideas for possible locations.

Any sites considered must first have a suitable wind resource and adequate access to the National Grid. Other issues which would have to be taken into consideration include site ownership, and environmental and aviation factors.

To send your views contact Land and Environmental Services on 0141 287 9000 or email [email protected].
Useful Links

http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/scotland
http://www.climatechallenge.gov.uk/
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dougie79 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:11 pm

Just wanted to bring up the subject of the blue recycling bins. We just got ours a few months back, I think its a great idea and everybody should be doing their bit. Just the council hardly ever seem to empty them and also the problem with them being out in the open lets them fill up with water. I was also wondering, the council must make a good return from the recycling firms, should this not reflect on our council tax? They make money plus save money on landfill tax!
Underground Overground wandering free
dougie79
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:19 pm

dougie79 wrote: I was also wondering, the council must make a good return from the recycling firms, should this not reflect on our council tax?

It is, it has been frozen.

next whine please.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dougie79 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:22 pm

You dont want to get me started on Glasgow City Council!
dougie79
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Josef » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:27 pm

We guessed that from your previous post.

I wouldn't have thought, in any case, that there is much, if any, money to be made from the recycling of materials after the cost of collection is taken off. I recall that the bottom dropped out of the recycled paper market a few years ago.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dougie79 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:33 pm

I think they make a little profit on the metals side of it, is it just that they are wanting to be green or want the big savings on landfill tax? Was there not something on the news a short time ago about the landfills being full. Always wondered what will happen, do they try recycle more or incinerate everything. Polmadie was an active incinerator when I was a kid but now its the recycling plant.
dougie79
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Josef » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:42 pm

As with most organisations, whether corporate or civic, there is the desire to be perceived as green rather than to be green per se. If they wanted to be green then they could easily make a start by switching off all the uplighting on civic buildings and streets. Which isn't going to happen, obviously.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:44 pm

dougie79 wrote:I think they make a little profit on the metals side of it,

Evidence rather than conjecture if you don't mind.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dougie79 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:01 pm

I see what you are saying dexter, I have a relation that works for environmental services with the council, so I may be too willing to believe all that Ive been told by him. I shall do my best to find out. I know highland council turn off their street lighting in many of the small villages, this happens where my uncle stays in Skye. Fair enough it is not a large city but will make them a good saving, doing the same in Glasgow as you say would just not happen.
dougie79
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:47 pm

As part of last years budget considerations there was a proposal to turn of street lights during the early hours of the morning.

It was not taken forward as it was felt there were other considerations to be taken account of. Particularly the number of complaints that would have been made by members of the public. The issue of public safety was also taken into account as well as the adverse publicity it would have attracted.

Dammed if you do dammed if you don't.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:55 am

crusty_bint wrote:In regards to garbage collection and disposal, we have to completely overhaul the entire system and recylce everything thats possible. Which is a pain for the household as I hardly have enough space for my traditional bin (i.e. one bin for EVERYTHING), but I'm sure we'd find ways of coping. What MUST be a priority though is the improvement of srvice. You might all think I was just bitching saying about my recycling bins not being emptied (still not btw) but if there isn't any oom in ether of the 2 recylcing bins provided to service 8 households then I can't recycle. My partner could drive to the nearest set of large bins but then that feels like defeating the purpose.

Anyway, I can't be arsed finishing this now so will just say GET MY BINS EMPTIED YA BAS! :twisted:

I retract anything positive I may have previously said about the recycling bin collection. I've just watched as, for the second consecutive collection day, the blokes have trundled the collection bins up my road and straight past my close. Or, in other words, it is now six weeks since they could be arsed actually emptying them.

Last time they at least did one token close; this time they just skipped the entire road.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:59 am

I think if you want something done about this take some photos and email them to your local councilor. With a follow up phone call

Fossil
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby HollowHorn » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:38 pm

Josef wrote:I recall that the bottom dropped out of the recycled paper market a few years ago.

Classic.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:45 pm

Josef wrote:I retract anything positive I may have previously said about the recycling bin collection. I've just watched as, for the second consecutive collection day, the blokes have trundled the collection bins up my road and straight past my close. Or, in other words, it is now six weeks since they could be arsed actually emptying them.

Last time they at least did one token close; this time they just skipped the entire road.

Sorry I missed your post Josef. Totally agree with Fos you should contact one of your Councillors. I am sure they would be happy to deal with your complaint. Let us know how you get on.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:17 am

i have the same here, one wee blue bin for 22 floors of flats, and ive seen it emptied once :( We have cleansing here roughly every day cleaning out our huge bins, theres a lot of recycling that could but aint happening.
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)