GREEN GLASGOW

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: GREEN GLASGOW

Postby Josef » Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:10 am

Thanks, Alex and Fossil. We did, in fact, phone the council, and an off-schedule collection was made on Thursday by, I'm told, contractors.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dougie79 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:14 pm

Have phoned the council four times now and four times my blue bins havent been emptied. Its not just me its the other 12 residents in the block that are getting pissed off. They make the effort to collect waste and then the council dont pick it up.
Underground Overground wandering free
dougie79
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:25 pm

Kitten and Dougie

Have you tried contacting one of your local Councillors?
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:08 am

Alex Glass wrote:Kitten and Dougie

Im hiding from him after the Go Ape stuff, I think he's fed up hearing from me. Will give him a try, although ive got a list as high as this building with stuff round here.
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:01 am

My Kitten wrote:

Im hiding from him after the Go Ape stuff, I think he's fed up hearing from me. Will give him a try, although ive got a list as high as this building with stuff round here.

They're never fed up hearing from their electors. It's the only human contact some of them get.
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:27 pm

onyirtodd wrote:
My Kitten wrote:

They're never fed up hearing from their electors. It's the only human contact some of them get.

:( :( :(

:?

hope the "some" doesn't include a reference to me. :wink:
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:09 am

Glasgow is named worst in Scotland for recycling

GLASGOW has been named the worst in Scotland for recycling household rubbish.
The roll of shame, produced by union bosses at GMB, claims just 8% of litter is being recycled in the city.
That compares with 10 councils in England which have achieved recycling levels of at least 30%.
Clackmannanshire is the recycling capital of Scotland where almost a third of household rubbish was saved last year for re-use.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:21 am

Alex Glass wrote:
onyirtodd wrote:
My Kitten wrote:

:( :( :(

:?

hope the "some" doesn't include a reference to me. :wink:

Of course not Alex.
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dougie79 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:01 pm

Phoned the council one last time, this time to get details of my local councilior, they asked me what the problem was, after telling them about the bins they placed me on hold then I was promply cut off. Three days later my blue bin has done a vanishing act. 8O
Underground Overground wandering free
dougie79
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Mori » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:36 pm

City Centre Recycling Banks

Glasgow is the first city in the UK to have the Valpak designed banks situated in the City Centre for the collection of Plastic Bottles, Cans and Papers.

These new recycling banks are sited at the following addresses:

Argyle Street – Opposite Brown St
Buchanan Bus Station – Killermont Street
Cadogan Street - Blythswood Street
Cambridge Street – At Buccleuch Street
Cathedral Street – Opposite College
Cowcaddens Road – Caledonia University

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scotgio » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:34 pm

Dugald wrote:
onyirtodd wrote:
Dugald wrote:
Marlon wrote:I hope you all know that this is just a way of introducing the bin tax, to justify us being forced to pay for our rubbish, like the tv licence people they can go to hell

What Marlon, is wrong with paying for one's rubbish? If it takes a "bin tax" to finance the collection of rubbish, in all its forms, and it isn't already in effect, then it's high time such a tax was introduced. I find it hard to believe there isn't already such a tax in Glasgow. The collection of rubbish is the responsibility of the city, and since that's an expensive operation, then it has to be paid for.

Isn't that what the Council Tax is for?

I'd think Onyirtodd, that one's council tax is one's share in the cost of everything the council has to pay for. If the council pays for having rubbish picked up, then of course, this cost will be spread among the residents of the area serviced by the council. The unfair aspect of this, is that some households create a great deal less rubbish than others, yet have to pay the same portion of their tax towards garbage as those who make a lot more use of the rubbish pick-up. Maybe this pay-as-you-use aspect of Maggie Thacher's poll tax had some merit.

You want the council to charge you according to the weight of your waste? Do tell how you might implement this. You'd be lucky if the council found the time to collect the waste at all!

Earlier you suggested charging by the number of occupants in a household. This surely contradicts your desire for greater fairness, for no two people or groups of people will produce an identical, or perhaps even remotely similar quantity of refuse.

Not only that, different waste products will cost differing amounts to dispose of/recycle. Should the refuse collectors rake through your rubbish and itemise the bill? Furthermore how would a disgruntled resident query his or her bill? Would the council then have to dig up the waste out the land fill and weigh it again? Its a truly ridiculous idea.
scotgio
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dugald » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:54 pm

Scotgio, you say:

"You want the council to charge you according to the weight of your waste?".

I don't think I specifically mentioned "weight" as the yardstick by which the amount of one's garbage might be assessed. This would, as you point out, be very difficult to implement. I had in mind rather, the use of "bulk" as a means of apportioning the amount of garbage one household might produce compared to that which another household might produce. In the city where I live this is the method used. Each resident is allowed two bags of garbage picked up each week at no cost other than their normal dwelling-tax, and if one requires more bags then one must pay $1 for each additional bag. It's not the best method, but it's better than having unlimited amounts of garbage for each household. (You might well ask me for a definition of "bag", but I'll leave that aside for now.).

"You'd be lucky if the council found the time to collect the waste at all"

I think the collection of household waste is a very important part of any city, and I don't ever remember there not being "midden men" in the part of Glasgow in which I lived for many years. Nor can I imagine "the council" not having time to collect the waste... I suspect Scotgio, that you're exaggerating a wee bit to make your point.

"Earlier you suggested charging by the number of occupants in a household."

I cannot disagree with you that no two people or groups of people will produce the same amount of garbage, but I do insist there are people skilled in garbage-control who can make reasonably accurate estimates for a given community, that would be reasonably fair. In the community where I live most people only use only two bags for their weekly garbage; additional bags appear only rarely, so evidently reasonably good estimates have been used in arriving at two bags as the average weekly requirement. With bulk measure there isn't any need for the council to "dig up the waste and weigh it again".

"Its a truly ridiculous idea."

I think it is only ridiculous when the cost of household garbage-collection is based on weight. I am firmly convinced that there is nothing unfair about taxes on a property varying according to the number of people availing themselves of municipal services.
Dugald
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cell » Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:44 pm

Charging people by how much rubbish they produce wil NEVER work, it will only encourage fly tiping and our already rubbish strewn city will end looking even worse. Honest people will pay through the nose and the scum will laugh away as they fill your bin with their waste or dump in the street. The only fair way to do it and one which is very environmental is to tax the packaging, this will encourage producers to use less, simple! I would propose that companies would declear the cost of any packaging using a fixed government set table, they would then pay an annual tax based on total sales, strict policing and heavy fines would discourage cheating. Certain levels and types of packaging would be free to promote their use.
cell
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dugald » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:19 am

You say Cell:

"Charging people by how much rubbish they produce wil NEVER work....".

I still feel a system of say, for example, two bags per dwelling per week, with the opportunity to purchase more bags if the need should arise, could work. I agree with you however, when you say:

"...it will only encourage fly tiping and our already rubbish strewn city will end looking even worse"

This happens where I live too, although I'd hesitate to call it a major problem. There are people in any society, the "scum" as you call them, who would dump there garbage in any place that offered the means of doing so. Do they constitute such a high part of Glasgow's population that it would prevent a pay-as-you-creat-garbage method of paying for garbage removable? I suppose one way to beat this would be a more vigilant police force, and a meaningful fine for those caught at it.

I think your idea of. taxing the packaging companies who create the stuff which eventually becomes a substantial part of household garbage, is a great idea. (As your posting suggests however, it would be difficult to police.). It would be perfectly valid to include among these companies other places who create material which eventually finds its way into garbage. I'm thinking here of fast-food outlets in particular. This is a definite problem in many cities, and some of the food outlets are now involved in encouraging people not to litter, and even selling coffee and tea mugs which a customer can bring into the shop for their own beverage... This is meeting with some success.

The method which I think would be the fairest, would be a system whereby the house/dwelling tax was determined on the basis of how many people resided in the house/dwelling. The more people in the dwelling place, the more garbage is produced, and this would be taken care of by reason of a higher house/dwelling tax. No, as has been shown in the past, I don't think we're going to see this introduced in Glasgow.
Dugald
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:33 pm

Item 8

Glasgow Furniture Initiative

The Glasgow Furniture Initiative is a social enterprise company set up specifically to
provide a furnishing service for the benefit households on low incomes. All household
and white goods are offered at low cost. The Glasgow Furniture Initiative also
provides items for sale through two retail outlets.

The Glasgow Furniture Initiative works in partnership with Land and Environmental
Services (Waste Recycling) and collects good quality furniture and white goods from
the Special Uplift Service. It plans annually to divert 1,200 tonnes of good quality
furniture and white goods from landfill which will save the Council around £40,000 per
year in landfill tax and reduce the Council’s costs in collecting items that would
traditionally go to the Special Uplift Service.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)