Bakers vans in the 1970s -80s

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Bakers vans in the 1970s -80s

Postby escotregen » Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:26 pm

Robbo, like merlot I was going to suggest bthe Askit van, I sort of remember them having that red stripe.

The other bakers I remember and that have not been mentioned are Beatties and Milanda. They used to have huge bakeries in darkest dirtiest old Calton. I can recall being bused in from our 'new hoose' in Easterhouse to one of the 'slum schools' in Calton. One of the bits of poverty culture I was introduced to was keeping your dinner school money and instead running at lunchtime along to Beatties or Milandas and buying 'penny or tuppeny bags'.

These were big pokes of rejected broken biscuites, cakes and pies. You sorted through all that and if lucky got some decent pies and cakes (fern cakes, eifel towers, yummy).

With the dinner school money you saved, you could do proper things like buying cinneman sticks and 'smoking' them. A sign of changed times that was that in darkest, dirtiest old Calton you daren't be seen by an adult smoking your sticks - that would earn you a public bawling out and a threat to report you to the school. Weird thing is these adults would demand your name and what school you went too... and you would give them the information!
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Robbo » Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:27 am

Merlot wrote:Hi,

I can remember the Askit van :oops:
Used to come round selling bread, cakes etc.

Merlot
Thats it I remember now it was either the askit van or Milanda I think my maw used to call it.

I can always remember one lady who worked on one of the vans I think her name was Betty she always had a fag in her mouth when serving you (you wouldn't see that nowadays even before the smoking ban).

Thanks Merlot & escotregen
Robbo
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby ramor69 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:08 pm

robertpool wrote:I remember when there was a bread strike on and you were very lucky if you could get a loaf anywhere. My brother worked as a van driver for Bisland Bakery in Cheapside Street at the time and at every shop delivery he would ask the owner for a loaf and every shopkeeper gave him one for free. Before long we had a 13cu/ft freezer full of bread and my mother would sell it, at normal shop prices, to all the neighbours. My brother claimed the money made was his as the shop keeper had given him the loaf, my mother told to f**k off as the freezer they were kept was hers and she paid the electricity to run it, and how the hell was he going to eat 40 f***ing loafs. My brother just shrugged his shoulders knowing there was no way of winning any argument with my mother.

There was a strike around 1976/77. I remember a bread van overturning on the bend on Langlands Road just past the Vogue bingo hall. Us kids were just coming out of school at the time and it was total chaos as everyone was wading in for the booty. We must have looked like a right bunch walking up the road with bread sticking out of our jumpers, snorkels and (school issue) co-op polly bags.
8O
We're in the stickiest situation since Sticky the Stick Insect got stuck on a sticky bun.
ramor69
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby neilmc » Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:35 pm

Here's a photo of a Bilsland's van; an Albion Claymore built at Scotstoun, just a couple of miles from the Bilsland Bakery. The colour scheme was dark green and cream, and although the van was built around 1960, it would have worked well into the 1970s:-

....and here's a model of a Milanda van, also a Claymore :-
neilmc
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Robbo » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:05 pm

Here is a picture of a similar van as the one I can remember being the askit van

Or this

And they were cream with a red or blue stripe along the side of them also some of them you entered from the back of the van if memory serves correctly and the person who operated the van would use a bread board as his worktop
Robbo
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Mori » Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:12 pm

That commer van was something like the Mghees bakers van

Tunnocks used to deliver to my dads shop, not the vintage one here but i think it was a Bedford not sure though.

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:23 pm

My dad had a Moris Minor van for years, and i can also remember the Co-op next door had Moris Minors delevering their goods. :)

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby robertpool » Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:46 pm

sorry l don't have any pics of the vans but here's one of the old Bisland Bakery factory in Hydepark Street. (think l originally said it was in Cheapside Street, what a tit l am). Click on link below

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id ... 2782073385
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Minted Stereo » Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:16 am

We had a City Bakeries van come into my street in Milton. I think the drivers name was Eddie. Every day my Gran would buy my Uncle a City Bakeries trifle. Having spent time working in the City Bakeries in Balmore Industrial Estate, my Uncle seen what took place on the production line. 8O Knowing the guys that worked in the trifle department, and satisfied that nothing went into the trifles that shouldn't be there, this was the only thing he would eat.
i'm away a wee message
http://www.flickr.com/photos/minted-stereo/
Minted Stereo
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby klingon » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:02 am

It's ASCOT Bakeries as in the racecourse-not ASKIT as in the heidache pooders! ::):
klingon
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby sandabound » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:59 am

klingon wrote:It's ASCOT Bakeries as in the racecourse-not ASKIT as in the heidache pooders! ::):

Based in the Mothers Pride bakery on Duke St, I was a Saturday boy on one, we did Easterhouse & Provanmill, one of the drivers who's run was Pollok claimed Matt McGinn's sugary cake & candy man was written about him.
sandabound
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby banjo » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:09 pm

I sang that very song at an acoustic night last month.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby sandabound » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:52 pm

banjo wrote:I sang that very song at an acoustic night last month.

G'on yersel Banjo. wan singer wan song. :D
sandabound
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby robertpool » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:33 am

i'm sure l watched it on Matt's website a couple of nights ago (maybe it was youtube)
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby the researcher » Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:00 pm

Hugh Wrang wrote:there was a van in That Sinking Feeling

the bakers van in that sinking feeling was mortons rolls vans
THE FLYING SCOT MADE BY RATTRAYS IN GLASGOW THE BEST BICYCLE EVER MADE
the researcher
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext