OOOH! We"re getting a Waitrose!

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Waitrose Byres Road

Postby Rucola » Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:43 am

I have never noticed Waitrose being exceptionally expensive. Somerfield was awful, like shopping at Asda but with Sainsbury's prices.

It's somewhat ironic that the supermarket with the reputation as the one favoured by the wealthy is the one that is technically a workers' co-operative.
Rucola
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Icecube » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:45 am

Banjo, when is the Eris Bogle concert and other details if you them please.
Icecube
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:07 am

Icecube wrote:Banjo, when is the Eris Bogle concert and other details if you them please.

The Rothesay gig is 23rd August in The Pavilion. Tel 01700 504250

All the others at http://ericbogle.net/concerts/index.htm

Don't worry if you can't make it - despite what he's saying I reckon he'll be back. You have to feel a bit sorry for the folks who, in good faith, bought tickets for the 'last ever' Glasgow concert back in early June who found out there's to be another 'by popular demand' in September.
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:14 am

Roxburgh wrote:
Bridie wrote:
My Kitten wrote: Which as especially handy when I still haven't found a butcher that I am happy with their wares and I know, in there, I'll get a nice tasting beef rib roast!

Exactly. It's been about 3 years since I shopped in Byres road but I could never find any butchers. They can't all be veggy weggys in the West End? Very good fishmongers mind

The butchers have all been forced out of business by the coffee shops, eateries and charity shops. In fact, I'm not sure that anyone in the West End cooks at home any more other than to fling something into the micro-wave. You have to walk down to Partick to find a butcher.

The farmer's market hasn't helped either.

If you listen to The Food Programme or Farming Today on Radio 4 the problem seems to be that the retail end of the meat trade can't generate the margins required to pay prime retail (ie Byres Rd) rents so you find them in Partick, Kelvinbridge or Anniesland.

Is James Allan still on Lauderdale Gardens? It is/ was a good butchers.
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dave » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:22 am

onyirtodd wrote:Is James Allan still on Lauderdale Gardens? It is/ was a good butchers.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= ... .05,,0,4.4
A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:48 am

Dave wrote:
onyirtodd wrote:Is James Allan still on Lauderdale Gardens? It is/ was a good butchers.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= ... .05,,0,4.4

Thank you Dave.
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Innes » Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:05 pm

Dave wrote:I have no shares or any other interest in the butchers in Wemyss Bay other than I believe the produce is beyond the quality of other butchers I have tried.

As far as I know the butcher does not supply the Wemyss Bay Hotel. Though the food in the Wemyss Bay Hotel was very good the last time I tries it 2 years ago.

I promise you will not be disappointed if you try this butcher, I travel from Galston (Which has two Craft Butchers) to buy my goods purely down to quality.

Mearns T McCaskie is the butchers in Weymss Bay. Grampain Meats in Partick is good as well !
Innes
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Dave » Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:23 pm

Innes wrote:Mearns T McCaskie is the butchers in Weymss Bay. Grampain Meats in Partick is good as well !

Yes, I know the name of the butchers in Wemyss Bay. What I don't want is being accused of googlebombing the name. I know the owners and many of the staff well.
A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: OOOH! We"re getting a Waitrose!

Postby hellmeri » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:14 am

As an insider i can confirm that Somerfield of Byres Road is closing on the 4th of September. No idea when the Waitrose is opening yet. We've heard November but i find it hard to believe it will take that long to get things turned around.
hellmeri
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Roxburgh » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:57 pm

hellmeri wrote:As an insider i can confirm that Somerfield of Byres Road is closing on the 4th of September. No idea when the Waitrose is opening yet. We've heard November but i find it hard to believe it will take that long to get things turned around.

Good opportunity for Iceland.
Roxburgh
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:48 pm

Roxburgh wrote:
hellmeri wrote:As an insider i can confirm that Somerfield of Byres Road is closing on the 4th of September. No idea when the Waitrose is opening yet. We've heard November but i find it hard to believe it will take that long to get things turned around.

Good opportunity for Iceland.

Isn't Iceland part of the Arc of Insolvency?
Last edited by onyirtodd on Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Roxburgh » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:53 pm

Love the pic byraway ....

Dunno if they are insolvent. But at least they sell normal stuff instead of masquerading as the poor persons Pechhams although, no doubt, the Gwendies will turn their noses up at such an untrendy shop.
Roxburgh
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby southwoodside » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:38 pm

Roxburgh wrote:Love the pic byraway ....

Dunno if they are insolvent. But at least they sell normal stuff instead of masquerading as the poor persons Pechhams although, no doubt, the Gwendies will turn their noses up at such an untrendy shop.

I like Iceland, use it a lot. Does that mean I'm not a real Westender ?
southwoodside
Just settling in
Just settling in

Previous

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)