soundtrack of glasgow

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

soundtrack of glasgow

Postby THA G-MAN » Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:56 pm

what is your favourite song or album that reminds you of glasgow? mine has to be the blue niles "hats",no matter where i am in the world i listen to it when feeling a wee bit homesick!
THA G-MAN
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby onyirtodd » Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:16 pm

The Shipyard Apprentice (Archie Fisher/ Bobby Campbell) is my favourite song about Glasgow. The 'it was tears that made the Clyde' line gets me every time.

You'll find the lyrics at http://www.dickgaughan.co.uk/songs/texts/shipyard.html
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:09 pm

Life in a Scotch Sitting Room Volume II - Ivor Cutler.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby lynnski » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:30 pm

I do like 'Mother Glasgow' as done by Hue and Cry. I thought it was an old traditional song, surprised to find it's actually modern. I have a hankering to hear that now. It's one I'd love to try at karaoke but I think I'd clear the pub! :oops:
lynnski
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cheesylion » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:34 pm

lynnski wrote:I do like 'Mother Glasgow' as done by Hue and Cry. I thought it was an old traditional song, surprised to find it's actually modern. I have a hankering to hear that now. It's one I'd love to try at karaoke but I think I'd clear the pub! :oops:

The one that I would choose as well. It's a fantastic song and one that I do quite frequently when I'm out working. Although another I would choose would be 'Glasgow' by Billy Connolly, if you haven't heard it track it down, it's brilliant!
Ching Ching!!!!!!!
cheesylion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:42 pm

cheesylion wrote:
lynnski wrote:I do like 'Mother Glasgow' as done by Hue and Cry. I thought it was an old traditional song, surprised to find it's actually modern. I have a hankering to hear that now. It's one I'd love to try at karaoke but I think I'd clear the pub! :oops:

The one that I would choose as well. It's a fantastic song and one that I do quite frequently when I'm out working. Although another I would choose would be 'Glasgow' by Billy Connolly, if you haven't heard it track it down, it's brilliant!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=c3xdu4n4oD8
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby lynnski » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:42 pm

Haven't heard that one will go a-Napstering right now! Who did that one 'Caledonia', it was in an advert. It's a tad cheesy, but I likes it :D Is 'Hats' the album with 'Tinseltown in the Rain' on it? That's always in the back of my head on a rainy day.
lynnski
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby AlanM » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:47 pm

Caledonia has been recorded by a few different folk
Frankie Miller, Dougie MacLean and Fish have all recorded it.

I think it was the Dougie MacLean version that was used in the Tennents' ad many years ago
Who needs a six pack....when you've got a keg!!!
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cheesylion » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:57 pm

That's quite freaky Alex, I was actually watching that video earlier tonight! I was searching youtube for Deacon Blue stuff and that's one that popped up.

Lynnski, the most famous version of 'Caledonia' was by Frankie Miller, who is (as far as I am concerned) the greatest singer ever to have come out of Glasgow, if I had even half of his talent I would be happy!! Go napster-ing for some of his stuff, you'll love it. His version of Jim Reeves 'He'll have to go' is something else and a duet he did with a singer called Sarah Bettens (although called Sarah Beth on the record) called 'Why don't you try me' is another great one.
The original version of 'Caledonia' is by Scottish singer/songwriter Dougie McLean and is a more accoustic based song, equally good though.
Ching Ching!!!!!!!
cheesylion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:04 pm

I was introduced to it the other night and have just replayed it three times.

Agree with all the other suggestions but can't choose between them and would add Deacon Blue - Dignity.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby lynnski » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:11 pm

Hmmmmmmmmmm... I think Deacon Blue had many much better songs than Dignity. It is stupendously good, don't get me wrong! But I think there are better (NOT Real Gone Kid!!) I'm pretty sure it's the Frankie Miller version of 'Caledonia' that I like. Somehow I've sidetracked myself on napster and am now listening to Genesis. It's disturbing how many good songs they actually had!! EEK!! I'm old!! ::):
lynnski
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:15 pm

Think about it Lynnski - Dignity - Glasgow theme ::):

Not saying it is there best just that it is one of my Glasgowish songs :wink:
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby lynnski » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:25 pm

Troo, very troo :D
lynnski
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cheesylion » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:30 pm

My favourite Deacon Blue song is 'When will you (make my telephone ring)'. Rather happy, going to see them in Nov at the C.A.
Ching Ching!!!!!!!
cheesylion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby lynnski » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:31 pm

That is a very. very good one. I think I will give in and go see them. I'm having quite a nice wee nostalgia trip tonight, me likee!!
lynnski
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)