Strathclyde Mornington Crescent

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby nodrog » Wed May 19, 2004 2:47 pm

escotregen wrote:But surely as there was no soup course, spoons weren't available? In which case Auchensguggle was legal (I admited it was devious, but not illegal)

Ah, but given you only declared it retrospectively after the end of the game, this situation is covered by the MC (Non-participating Players) 1973 Ruling (Scotland) Act, which states quite clearly states (Paragraph 3, sub-paragraph 4.34, in the locked filing cabinet): "No."
"I'd just move on to the 'hot-air ballooning vigilante' stage of my career earlier than planned"

www.scottishcinemas.org.uk
www.twitter.com/scottishcinemas
nodrog
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby nodrog » Wed May 19, 2004 2:49 pm

escotregen wrote:But surely as there was no soup course, spoons weren't available? In which case Auchensguggle was legal (I admited it was devious, but not illegal)

Actually I take that back - "Auchensguggle" was legal, devious and brilliant.

Unfortunately, you played "Auchenshuggle", which is none of the above.

:)
"I'd just move on to the 'hot-air ballooning vigilante' stage of my career earlier than planned"

www.scottishcinemas.org.uk
www.twitter.com/scottishcinemas
nodrog
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby escotregen » Wed May 19, 2004 2:52 pm

Ah well again... I said there was no soup course so spoons did not come into it which means it did not matter whether Yoker was in or out of spoon 'cause spoons (in or out did not apply). I'll go into all this in more detail after the programme. Meantime, you can get a 64 First Bus to Auchenshuggle - and can I take the fact you did not know this, to be verification that you did not take the Clyde Valley Structure Plan into account?
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DMcNay » Wed May 19, 2004 2:59 pm

escotregen wrote:Ah well again... I said there was no soup course so spoons did not come into it which means it did not matter whether Yoker was in or out of spoon 'cause spoons (in or out did not apply). I'll go into all this in more detail after the programme. Meantime, you can get a 64 First Bus to Auchenshuggle - and can I take the fact you did not know this, to be verification that you did not take the Clyde Valley Structure Plan into account?

It wasn't taken into account.....but....Auchenshuggle can only be played if you have first declared "Nae change given" and called Drumgelloch.

Using the "Neds on the Top Deck" rule of 1994 (Paragraph 12, subsection 4b), which was set up to close this sort of devious loophole.

And anyway, you didn't declare Auchenshuggle or guggle (Have you searched for it on Google? :) ) at the start of the game, therefore any move you made was made after play had begun and was therefore illegal.

This could run and run....
Too few hours in the day.
DMcNay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby escotregen » Wed May 19, 2004 3:12 pm

OK, I've got to go now for awhile, so I will throw in one last (devasting) move - PROCEED THROUGH THE TUNNEL UNDER BOTHWELL STREET! - there, you cannot match that
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DMcNay » Wed May 19, 2004 3:15 pm

You're right, we can't.

But I won the game yesterday so you're too late. :D

And you can't start a new game on a station ending in Street when there's a "nae change given" rule in place. :wink:
DMcNay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DMcNay » Wed May 19, 2004 3:18 pm

escotregen wrote: PROCEED THROUGH THE TUNNEL UNDER BOTHWELL STREET!

You'll need to post proof it exists first..... :wink:
DMcNay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby escotregen » Wed May 19, 2004 3:23 pm

Positively, positively, my last words (I'm late now!). Are you suggesting that the obsession for many Hidden Glasgow adherents that is 'The Tunnel Under Bothwell Street' needs proof that it exists? I wouldn't like to be seen to doubt it - I've seen some of these adherents in the pub!
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Boredom thread - Strathclyde Mornington Crescent

Postby duncan » Wed May 19, 2004 5:45 pm

nodrog wrote:Anyone up for a local game of Mornington Crescent?

i never got this, it's like there's an inside joke i've not been let in on...
duncan
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby escotregen » Wed May 19, 2004 7:08 pm

You know Duncan, that's how I feel, and I've been playing it for years
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby duncan » Wed May 19, 2004 9:32 pm

it smacks too much of Radio 4 / Call My Bluff / "I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue", etc. You know what I mean - the sort of people that think Paul Merton/Willie Rushton/Tim Brooke-Taylor/etc are funny. apologies for anyone who's actually a fan of all this!
duncan
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby red_kola » Wed May 19, 2004 10:12 pm

duncan wrote:it smacks too much of Radio 4 / Call My Bluff / "I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue", etc. You know what I mean - the sort of people that think Paul Merton/Willie Rushton/Tim Brooke-Taylor/etc are funny. apologies for anyone who's actually a fan of all this!

Willie Rushton hasn't said anything funny for almost 8 years...

Bill Oddie had the right idea. A good old-fashioned mid-life crisis then retreat to the safe old world of bird spotting. Alas the others are still being paid with my money to continue foisting their 40 year old Oxbridge in-jokes onto an otherwise disinterested public.
Destroy All Monsters
red_kola
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby duncan » Wed May 19, 2004 10:27 pm

red_kola wrote:Willie Rushton hasn't said anything funny for almost 8 years...

whoops, shows how often i listen to radio 4... of course the same could be said for the rest of them
duncan
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Previous

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)