Glasgow Aroma

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Glasgow Aroma

Postby ariesr » Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:13 pm

Hi Folks,

As Glasgow is one of two candidates for the Commonwealth Games in 2014, I thought I'd raise a decades old issue I'd like to encourage the council to remedy before then.

With that in mind, I've created a short video (4:45mins)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_Oh3Rqmv6Q

Those smells I've described in the video have been around for ages, and am simply expressing an opinion that I'm sick of it, after smelling 3 decades of it. As a kid I didnt mind, but now I see it as a problem.

I reckon I'm only scratching the surface...... take the bridge to Rutherglen for instance, at times it's a biohazard. I'd say there were plenty other places I could have put in the video if I had the time.

The video was put up in a rush, with no script and 2 takes for each place. I was told to remove certain words from the video and do a more polished version, but I wanted it online asap.
ariesr
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Flash_Andy » Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:02 pm

Totally agree with you mate! Those Whiskey Distillery's get away with murder. I live in Govanhill and that f*cking distillery in the Gorbals wafts it's honking smell into my bedroom in the morning! Nothing more disgusting than waking up too that smell. Then I'm off too work at Charing Cross and the smell from that effin distillery at Port Dundas makes me ill at work!
Flash_Andy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby viceroy » Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:04 am

Flash_Andy wrote:that f*cking distillery in the Gorbals

which I lived right next to for a few years at the beginning of the 1980's. It was owned by Long John in those days. But I have to say that the smell never really bothered me that much. Maybe I just got used to it.
viceroy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hazy » Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:25 am

The worst is up at Port Dundas. I cut through there at 5am today and I had to switch of the vans heater. The smell was disgusting.
Yet they are planning to build luxury flats on the waste ground . I wonder if thats a selling point. 8O
Thank you. And why not.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sharon » Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:49 am

It's the other side effect from the breweries and distilleries that I find more offesive to my olfactory senses...and that is the stink of piss on the streets.

Now that is something that could surely be dealt with more easily!!!!!!!!
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby cumbo » Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:30 am

I agree Sharon, incontinence pants is the answer to much piss getting posted :wink:
cumbo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sydney Rosewater » Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:35 am

The sulphuric smell at sighthill/pinkston is the covered over Stinky Ocean. Mibbe they shouldn't have built a housin estate on top of a chemical dump.
Sydney Rosewater
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby skintobalinto » Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:29 am

What about the smell down near Shawfield Stadium it very often smells like a sewage works, is there one nearby?
Where the music stinks, and they water the drinks, ...at the nudie bar
skintobalinto
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Sydney Rosewater » Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:58 am

skintobalinto wrote:What about the smell down near Shawfield Stadium it very often smells like a sewage works, is there one nearby?

Aye, Swanston St, Dalmarnock. Fuckin reek wafts all over that bit.
Sydney Rosewater
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby red_kola » Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:03 am

It's a city. It whiffs a bit sometimes. Get over it. Glasgow is certainly less offensive than the Ciutat Vella in Barcelona, the Quartieri Spagnoli in Napoli or most of Paris... You know those arty photos of steam rising out of the sidewalks in New York City, well - the steam stank. So much so that the city now vents these away from street level. London smells like the moshpit at a Levellers gig for most of the summer. And as for Paisley...

Smell? Try the countryside sometime. Now that really stinks.
Destroy All Monsters
red_kola
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby weasler » Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:04 am

Brings me to a small story told to me by a friend who once was a black hack driver in Glasgow.

He picked up some Cockney Geezer and his bird in the city centre going to Biars Road. On entering the taxi CG says to the driver "why does Glasgow smell so bad" i presume this was said to impress his bird.

The answer the CG got was that it was because the English had taken over our city and you know how bad they can smell. The CG duly went on to say it could be worse you could be IRISH and living in Glasgow. To which my friend slammed on the anchors and throw the couple out of the taxi half way down the clyde expressway. Unbeknown to them my friends mother and father are both Irish.

Weasler.
weasler
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby KonstantinL » Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:39 pm

red_kola wrote:London smells like the moshpit at a Levellers gig for most of the summer.

Central London is attrocious in summer. Smells like lukewarm garbage which is probably what it is.
KonstantinL
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby nuttytigger » Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:41 pm

i only notice the smell of the brewries(?) at uni and at the barras, was terrible going into uni wi a hangover and smelling that!

also going thru dalmarnock train station reeks!1
nuttytigger
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cheesylion » Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:43 pm

Going from Braehead to southern general is very unpleasant on a hot day!!
Ching Ching!!!!!!!
cheesylion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby james73 » Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:11 pm

cheesylion wrote:Going from Braehead to southern general is very unpleasant on a hot day!!

Going to Braehead is unpleasant any day...

James H
He's over there...
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)