Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby McShad » Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:26 pm

He's got a couple of interesting videos posted
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:15 am

Thanks for that link, great to see the craft in motion with sound.

The Hovercraft Museum provided me with some stills and data on the craft, but not quite as impressive as seeing it in operation.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby donald » Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:46 pm

Apollo wrote:Thanks for that link, great to see the craft in motion with sound.

The Hovercraft Museum provided me with some stills and data on the craft, but not quite as impressive as seeing it in operation.

If the truth were to be told, the sound was actually dubbed on that clip before being uploaded to Youtube. Its amazing what sound effects you can come across on an old BBC LP you've had on a shelf for 20 years. The clockwork (yes clockwork) cine camera my father used to film that clip didn't have sound :-)

Donald
donald
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby JayKay » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:47 am

For hovercraft fans, there's a trial service launching in the Forth next month. £4.50 for return crossing from Fife. Looks well worth a day out!

http://www.stv.tv/content/news/main/display.html?id=opencms:/news/Forth_hovercraft_service_to_be_launnhed_
*value of posts can go down as well as up.
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:30 am

donald wrote:
Apollo wrote:Thanks for that link, great to see the craft in motion with sound.

If the truth were to be told, the sound was actually dubbed on that clip before being uploaded to Youtube. Its amazing what sound effects you can come across on an old BBC LP you've had on a shelf for 20 years. The clockwork (yes clockwork) cine camera my father used to film that clip didn't have sound :-)

Donald

:)

I never even thought to question it. Doesn't detract though.

I am forewarned now, as I'm usually impressed when an old clip has sound, and don't query it.

Thanks for sharing.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby e2wufos1 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:31 pm

JayKay wrote:For hovercraft fans, there's a trial service launching in the Forth next month. £4.50 for return crossing from Fife. Looks well worth a day out!

http://www.stv.tv/content/news/main/display.html?id=opencms:/news/Forth_hovercraft_service_to_be_launnhed_

I went to Portobello yesterday intending to go on the hovercraft but after arriving I found out due to the novelty value of it you were queing for over an hour for your ticket and then the same to get on it so instead I walked round to the beach where it lands and got some photos.

Talking to one of the staff who work there they were telling me this particular hovercraft is 13 years old it came up from the Isle of Wight and it took 15 hours to get from the Isle of Wight to Kirkcaldy.

Reversing for the return to Kirkcaldy

Heading back to Kirkcaldy

Heading back to Kirkcaldy
e2wufos1
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Apollo » Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:54 am

Nice pics, it looks quite smart for it's age.

Does make you wonder how come there has to be all the hassle of piers and berthing, and congestion on roads near rivers and firths when there's toys like that around.

Is anyone serious about applying 'innovative' or 'lateral' thinking, or developing alternative to conventional solutions? There's been little progress in hovercraft (excluding military) over the years, and they've been dropping out of routes they were once well established on, and supposedly better than other solutions.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby e2wufos1 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:30 am

It is a smart looking machine this is the 130 seat version being used for the trial but I heard if it goes ahead then they'll be using the 150 seat version.

I imagined it to be really loud and be heard for miles but you don't actually hear it until it's pretty much nearby in actual fact doesn't sound any louder than a turbo prop aircraft.
e2wufos1
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)