Old Mines & Underground Ownership

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby ibtg » Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:11 pm

hazy wrote:Did anybody see the plans for Anniesland Cross in the Late 70s early 80s. They showed an under pass at the cross and a large round about I am sure. This was all changed due to the cost of filling in the mines below.


My Dad used to work for the 'Cooncil' and he told me that the reason for the change of plans at Anniesland was two-fold.

1) Who put that feckin' skyscraper there? (How were they going to underpin THAT?)

2) Nobody told us there were 2 railway bridges to widen!! (More expense!)

The stone terraces facing on to Crow Road on the left-hand side (coming from the tunnel) were all empty and waiting for demolition. Crow Road was to be substantially widened.

After the plans were shelved, the houses were made wind/watertight and sold as 'homesteader' houses.
www.mycityglasgow.co.uk
ibtg
Second Stripe
Second Stripe
 
Posts: 360
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:13 am
Location: Glasgow West

Re: old mines?

Postby glasgowken » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:01 am

(Bumping old thread, sorry)
Was talking to a bloke who lives near the old B&Q site along from Anniesland Cross, he was saying the rebuilding has been held up by old mine workings under the site, apparantly at least one nearby building already has cracks from subsidence and recent groundbreaking.
Anybody know more ?
GK
User avatar
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 4478
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:59 am
Location: Glasgow

Re: Subway today

Postby Doorstop » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:22 pm

Josef wrote:What's the legal position on the underground tunnel ownership?

Presumably it passes under land owned by a myriad of folk. Some of them presumably also have mineral rights to the property, which in turn presumably covers land beneath the surface property?


Interesting point of law that. I hope someone knowledgeable out there can fill us in.
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
User avatar
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 6006
Joined: Tue May 22, 2007 9:07 am
Location: Guarding the Key to the Pie cupboard.

Re: Subway today

Postby pingu » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:15 pm

i believe you used to own land under your property to the core of the earth.

however, im not sure when but the powers that be changed the law so they can claim rights for any oil/minerals discovered within this country, so i think you now only own 6feet of the soil under your house
toot toot
User avatar
pingu
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 659
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:15 am

Re: Subway today

Postby Glesga_Steve » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:40 pm

Josef wrote:What's the legal position on the underground tunnel ownership?

Presumably it passes under land owned by a myriad of folk. Some of them presumably also have mineral rights to the property, which in turn presumably covers land beneath the surface property?

pingu wrote:i believe you used to own land under your property to the core of the earth.

however, im not sure when but the powers that be changed the law so they can claim rights for any oil/minerals discovered within this country, so i think you now only own 6feet of the soil under your house

I don't know about any previous legal situation (i.e. owning the land down to the earth's core - sounds highly unlikely to me) but, in terms of the second bit of Pingu's post, that's my understanding too (though I'm not sure whether the 6 feet bit is accurate).

As far as I'm aware, the "State" retains the mineral rights to all (un-mined?) land in the country.
User avatar
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 674
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:46 am

Re: Subway today

Postby Josef » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:46 pm

Glesga_Steve wrote:
pingu wrote:i believe you used to own land under your property to the core of the earth.

however, im not sure when but the powers that be changed the law so they can claim rights for any oil/minerals discovered within this country, so i think you now only own 6feet of the soil under your house

I don't know about any previous legal situation (i.e. owning the land down to the earth's core - sounds highly unlikely to me) but, in terms of the second bit of Pingu's post, that's my understanding too (though I'm not sure whether the 6 feet bit is accurate).

As far as I'm aware, the "State" retains the mineral rights to all (un-mined?) land in the country.


OK, ta both. I asked because a) it interested me, and b) I'm fairly sure that a lawyer I once used to buy a house said that asking for the mineral rights paperwork on a property was always a good way to throw a delay into the transaction if required.
User avatar
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 8145
Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:43 pm

Re: Subway today

Postby Glesga_Steve » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:08 pm

Josef wrote:
Glesga_Steve wrote:
pingu wrote:i believe you used to own land under your property to the core of the earth.

however, im not sure when but the powers that be changed the law so they can claim rights for any oil/minerals discovered within this country, so i think you now only own 6feet of the soil under your house

I don't know about any previous legal situation (i.e. owning the land down to the earth's core - sounds highly unlikely to me) but, in terms of the second bit of Pingu's post, that's my understanding too (though I'm not sure whether the 6 feet bit is accurate).

As far as I'm aware, the "State" retains the mineral rights to all (un-mined?) land in the country.


OK, ta both. I asked because a) it interested me, and b) I'm fairly sure that a lawyer I once used to buy a house said that asking for the mineral rights paperwork on a property was always a good way to throw a delay into the transaction if required.

After a brief bit of Googling, it seems that my understanding is inaccurate. The first link that came up in my search was for a mining forum (aditnow.co.uk) so the members there would probably be the people to ask for a definitive answer.

Sounds like a complicated business but, generally, it seems that mineral right belong to the landowner (with the exception of some minerals, such as gold and silver, which belong to the Crown or Duchy estates) - it seems that in the case of 'normal' residential property, however, that the developer normally retains the mineral rights for some reason.
User avatar
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 674
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:46 am

Re: Subway today

Postby pingu » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:42 pm

it will tell you on your deeds if you have the mineral rights or not.....some property/land does have it some dont.

even if you own your house unless it clearly states it in your deeds, you might not own the land it sits on.

if you live in a city especially, the council/government and/or even your bank may have rights to the land under your house.

the 6 feet saying is just used to prevent you digging to the core of the earth or disrupting sewers/cables etc anything equally stupid or dangerous to you and your surroundings.....i agree its probably not 6 feet tho...it probably wont tell you on your deeds tho so its just said to be 6 feet

even if you own the land and you have the rights to the mineral you probably wont have the rights/permission to drill/ mine for them.

and as far as i know most of the time you buy a house you own from the floor boards to the roof
toot toot
User avatar
pingu
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 659
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:15 am

Re: Subway today

Postby radar » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:29 am

Will the deeds to a building or structure not also include the foundations? If it doesn't go below that, what happens when someone mines or tunnels beneath your property and causes the foundations to fail?
User avatar
radar
First Stripe
First Stripe
 
Posts: 75
Joined: Fri May 20, 2005 10:33 pm
Location: South of Hadrian's Wall

westend

Postby north glasgow dave » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:37 am

wasnt all the westend mined anyway.once saw workers pumping concrete directly into the ground on byres rd a few years ago, took them a few months.wasnt there some guy called lord gibson of hillhead who owned a lot of land,and he was responsible for the mining.wonder what they mined...coal perhaps.
north glasgow dave
Second Stripe
Second Stripe
 
Posts: 177
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:24 pm

Re: Subway today

Postby Doorstop » Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:08 pm

Thanks to all for the mining/mineral rights info.

Very interesting indeed,
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
User avatar
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 6006
Joined: Tue May 22, 2007 9:07 am
Location: Guarding the Key to the Pie cupboard.

Re: Subway today

Postby Bridie » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:03 pm

the west end is riddled with unsafe mine shafts - who owns the old mine shafts?
Yes HH,I know
User avatar
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 2267
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:57 pm

coalboard

Postby north glasgow dave » Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:49 am

i had to get a coalboard report when i bought this house..turns out theres an old mineshaft entrance 25 metres from my house.....
north glasgow dave
Second Stripe
Second Stripe
 
Posts: 177
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:24 pm

Re: Subway today

Postby Sunflower » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:11 am

Knew this was reminding me of something, here you are, courtesy of Google:

Street blocks' collapse risk due to mine works - Evening Times ...
15 Nov 2010 ... Council geologists working in Govanhill recently identified four street block as being at risk due to the presence of shallow mine workings. ...


The link includes street-blocks-collapse-risk-due-to-mine-works in case you want to search, evidently you have to be registered with the ET to read their old stories. As I remember it, the story included some council bod saying it wouldn't be fair for today's owners who didn't cause the problems to be responsible for getting them fixed, so the coundil was throwing in a load of money. As I also remember it, there was something about the story that made me wonder it they were nevertheless going to be after a 'contribution' from owners. (Not that it said that mind, just something about the wording.)

So (heading back topic-wards), presumably the council would do the same for a bit of subway falling into into a mine?
Sunflower
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 442
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:55 am
Location: almost in sight of mended bridge

Re: coalboard

Postby Glesga_Steve » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:22 am

north glasgow dave wrote:i had to get a coalboard report when i bought this house..turns out theres an old mineshaft entrance 25 metres from my house.....

Isn't it standard practice to get a Coalboard report when buying a house?

I've had to get one for each of the three houses I've bought (mind you, each of them was in an area with a history of mining in reasonable proximity).
User avatar
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 674
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:46 am

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests