More of Glasgow falls down

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: More of Glasgow falls down

Postby Targer » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:56 pm

Its an unfortunate state for such a fine building with great architectural feature. It shows obvious signs of decay and long term neglect. Note the shrubs/bushes growing on various levels of the building. Despite its condition I feel it could be restored to a reasonable and safe condition. However, I fear there are developers waiting to give the building a nudge towards demolition?
Targer
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:36 pm

Targer wrote:Its an unfortunate state for such a fine building with great architectural feature. It shows obvious signs of decay and long term neglect. Note the shrubs/bushes growing on various levels of the building. Despite its condition I feel it could be restored to a reasonable and safe condition. However, I fear there are developers waiting to give the building a nudge towards demolition?

The shrubs and bushes are a feature of many a Gasgow building at present includeing the Councils own Land Services building on the Trongate / High Street corner.

There is a good bit of life in Napier House yet. It's the one with the early Steel frame in it if i recall correctly, so strictly speaking if the Council say that they have to knock it down before it falls down the they are fibbing....again. What they would mean is they cannot afford to reinstate it if the facade starts to go.

I would doubt Targer that some Developer is waiting in the wings given the current commercial climate, also Govan is not short of Brownfield land around the area of Napier House.
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sunflower » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:10 pm

Napier House details in the Buildings at risk register.

Says it's concrete - Socceroo, does that still mean it's unlikely to be falling down?

The new Govan conservation area doesn't reach that far.
Sunflower
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:03 am

Sunflower wrote:Napier House details in the Buildings at risk register.

Says it's concrete - Socceroo, does that still mean it's unlikely to be falling down?

The new Govan conservation area doesn't reach that far.

Concrete Frame that's it Sunflower, i knew it had some uniqueness about it in terms of construction, i knew it was one of the earliest types of a certain frame construction in Glasgow. I thought Steel a bit like the Great Eastern, but it is Concrete.

Like Steel, Concrete Frame is a robust Frame so that will be okay for a long time and can put up with water ingress for far longer than other buildings such as timber frame. Problem is the facade is Sandstone which has been totally unmaintained for many a year.

I recall that Institute of Structural Engineers were waxing lyrical over the building a good few years back and that when Govan Master plans have been mentioned and drawn up over the last 10 years, Napier House has always been included.

You are right in that the Conservation currently does not extend that far. We can only hope that the new burst of funding and relatively fast track regeneration in Govan planned over the next 2 years highlights a bit more interest in this unique building.
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby motman » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:38 am

Bloody disgusting. Why was it allowed to get into that state? It was in good condition 30 years ago, before the 'new' Govan masterplan was enacted.
I'll weep into my pint tonight, or maybe sooner :cry: Another bit of the real Govan gone.
motman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby viceroy » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:25 pm

According to my Glasgow architectural guide in the Buildings Of Scotland series Napier House is partly steel framed with concrete floors.
viceroy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:33 am

Noticed the following statement on the Historic Scotland Register for Napier House :

"Notes:
An early concrete floored and walled building without reinforcement. Commissioned by the builder Wm Orr. 5 were killed by the collapse of the top floor during construction. Block at rear 3 by 5-bay, concrete facade, (known as 35 Clydebrae Street), demolished in the mid 1990s."

http://hsewsf.sedsh.gov.uk/hslive/hsstart?P_HBNUM=33348

If it is not reinforced then it is surprising that this building is still standing. It would cost an absolute fortune to refurbish, as it would appear that the internal frame would need to be replaced.
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sunflower » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:03 pm

Reply to an inquiring email from me on 2 Oct.

Just confirms what's obvious really, but nice to get a reply.

RE: Napier House, Govan

Good afternoon.

Please accept my apologies for not replying to you sooner.
There is currently an issue concerning public safety with this building which has led to the measures being taken as you have seen.
A meeting is to be held later this week to assess the possibilities of a rescue package for the building and I will keep you updated in this regard.

Thank you for your concern.

Regards.

Mike Fraser
Senior Planning Officer
Heritage and Design
Tel. 0141-287-8631
Email: [email protected]
Sunflower
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sunflower » Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:41 pm

Sad building next to the (ex) school in Stanley Street, Kinning Park.
Sunflower
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:24 am

Stanley street school has its very own thread, Sunflower.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sunflower » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:39 pm

:oops: Oh dear the ignominy, how did I miss that? Surprised nothing else seems to have fallen off since Jan 2007.

(The school was designed by Bruce and Hay who were also responsible for the Angel building at Paisley Road Toll and the Morrison St Co-op building. (And most other buildings of note in the Kinning Park ex-burgh, judging by the list here))
Sunflower
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dave » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:44 pm

A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:04 pm

UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby motman » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:39 pm

dave3009 wrote:http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/display.var.2494596.0.0.php

I had a pint in the Waterloo bar once. Didn't stay for a second one. :)
motman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Mark N » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:03 pm

motman wrote:I had a pint in the Waterloo bar once. Didn't stay for a second one. :)

Did you go in not realising it's a gay bar ? ::):
Flickr-ing me: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dogdriller/
Mark N
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)