cinemas

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby glasgowgub » Wed Jun 30, 2004 4:17 pm

any pics of the old odeon at eglinton toll, sadly flattened in the 80,s and now a garage?
glasgowgub
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby nodrog » Wed Jun 30, 2004 4:26 pm

glasgowgub wrote:any pics of the old odeon at eglinton toll, sadly flattened in the 80,s and now a garage?

Do you mean this one?

http://www.theglasgowstory.com/image.php?inum=TGSA00319
"I'd just move on to the 'hot-air ballooning vigilante' stage of my career earlier than planned"

www.scottishcinemas.org.uk
www.twitter.com/scottishcinemas
nodrog
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

cinemas

Postby norrie mcnamee » Wed Nov 10, 2004 10:19 pm

Hi Crusty bint, thanks for your interest in my hobby.

I think I can say without fear of being contradicted that we have found all of the remaining cinemas in Glasgow.

What I am looking for are the cinemas that were demolished in the years before I started this hobby.

Oh I have got plenty from books and copied them but Gordon Barr cant put them on his web site, copyright rears its head.

What I want to find is the old snapshots of cinemas in your grannys biscuit tin, the ones showing the old day in Gorbals, Springburn, city centre and so on, no problems there with copyright, perhaps Gordon can confirm this.

When I started this hobby, I thought that I was the only one taking picture of cinemas, then I heard of Bruce Peter and that has led me others including Goron Barr, without him my pictures would not be seen by anyone bar my self and my bored stiff friends, well what are friends for . I was looking through my fathers war time photos, India and those sort of places and I found some cinemas in his collection, looks like my father started long before me. Thats why I ask you to check the old boxes that you were going to throw out, there may be things of interest to us cinema buffs.

Sorry for not being on for a while, other interests.

Any info can be emailed to me at [email protected]

All of the rest of you can have a wee shiftie for me in the biscuit tins

Bye for now, Norrie
norrie
norrie mcnamee
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby SnakeCorp » Mon Nov 15, 2004 9:53 pm

Have you been to Cinema Treasures, a great site:

http://www.cinematreasures.org/location/country=180&sort=location

The link above gives a list of all the cinemas in the UK by location, there's a few listed under Glasgow if you scroll through a page or two.

Dave
SnakeCorp
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby nodrog » Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:06 pm

Cinema Treasures is a good site, though its coverage of the UK is patchy at best. Its coverage of Glasgow is practically non-existent - 4 cinemas (2 of which were written up by my website co-host, gap74!).

Nope, for all your Scottish cinema needs, I can happily recommend

http://www.survivingcinemas.org.uk

Which from now also features an interactive, searchable database of all of Scotland's cinemas that we have any information on...

Gordon
"I'd just move on to the 'hot-air ballooning vigilante' stage of my career earlier than planned"

nodrog
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

cinemas

Postby norrie mcnamee » Tue Nov 16, 2004 8:29 am

Hi guys, thanks for your answers but I already knew about both those sites and as you say Cinema Treasures are pretty poor for Scottish cinemas.
I have offered them stuff for their site, information that they were looking for but I never had a reply so they are the losers and Surviving Cinemas is the winner.

Gordon, I have had a look at your new to do list and have contacted a guy down Kelso way to track information about Kelso and Innerlethen

Bye for now, Norrie
norrie
norrie mcnamee
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby lordsleek » Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:52 am

Here's a picture of the Rio in Rutherglen
I used to have one of the front door but I can't find it. :wink:
lordsleek
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby nodrog » Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:57 am

Nice pic, thanks for posting that link. Looks like its from an old postcard of some kind.

The Rio opened in Sept 1935, and seated 2,017. It was demolished in 1971.

If you come across any other cinema pics, do please let me know!

Cheers

Gordon

nodrog
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby duncan » Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:40 pm

I expect you already saw this in the news:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4309311.stm
duncan
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby norrie mcnamee » Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:50 pm

Hi Duncan , thanks for posting that article, I did know about it but as I said I would rather have it repeated than not hear of it at all.

Thanks for your trouble, keep the cinema stuff coming, there are still some we havnt found, to whit, I found two in Falkirk today, I have still to tell Gordon Barr about them you have heard it here first folks.

Bye for now, Norrie
norrie
norrie mcnamee
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Lyceum Cinema Govan - Rescue

Postby escotregen » Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:42 am

Welcome news of project funding to rescue and rehabilitate the grand old Lyceum cinema on Govan Road. This, for me, is one of the grandest cinema art deco buildings of it's type. I'm going to see what more I can find out about the project. Meantime:
http://www.theherald.co.uk/news/36774.html
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby nodrog » Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:49 am

That does sound wonderful. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be quite what I had hoped on first reading:

The project with the County Bingo Hall involves obtaining a photograph of what the building looked like when it was a functioning cinema and then blowing that photograph up into a 60 foot banner which will wrap around the outside of the building. It is envisaged that the hoardings on the sides of the building will be used a space for community-based groups to advertise.

Info from this page

nodrog
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby escotregen » Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:27 am

Nodrog I know what you mean. Still, the hopeful part of this current project is all about positioning the building in the minds of the funders and possible private sponsors as something of significant heritage interest and potential. There are a couple of little-acknowledged Govan local interest groups who have been plugging away at securing something (anything!) by way of funding or practical support. They have worked out that sometimes your strategy has to be 'slowly, slowly, catchee monkey'

And of course, there are those for whom this type of public art activity is as important/more imporant than the urban built environment it's erected over... but please, I don't want to stirr up a debate on that :!:

(N.B. note to Sharon - these new style spaced-out paragraphs are great. Everyone submitting long postings should use them! :wink: )
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

cinemas

Postby norrie mcnamee » Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:24 pm

Hi Escotregan, thanks for that report and like you I had my hopes up for a proper restoration.
I havnt been down that way for some time, do you know if the building is still in use?

Bye for now, Norrie
norrie
norrie mcnamee
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby JamesMc » Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:28 pm

Well, at least the banner is making people look up and notice the building again. Amazing how many gems sit in our midst and no-one notices because they are so part of the landscape. I'm glad something is finally happening with the lyceum, being from Govan originally myself.
I see dead buildings...
JamesMc
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)